Eric Johnson's Marshall Tremolo

Hosted by Marshall Founding Father G3SDW. Discuss JTM45, JTM50, JTM100, Bluesbreaker, Super Lead, Super Bass, 200W, 100W, 50W, 20W, Plexi Panels, Metal Panels, 4x12 straight, 4x12 slant, Pinstripe, Basketweave, Checkerboard, Park, Kitchen-Marshall and Narb

Eric Johnson's Marshall Tremolo

Postby gigant0r on Sun May 23, 2010 12:01 pm

I was reading this article and one particular thing made me laugh :lol:

"Famous for being particular about seemingly insignificant gear details, Johnson chose the screws in the back of this Marshall head because of qualities he says affect feel and tone."
:mrgreen:

here's original link:
http://digital.premierguitar.com/premie ... fm=2#pg113
gigant0r
Baron

Re: Eric Johnson's Marshall Tremolo

Postby zaphod_phil on Sun May 23, 2010 12:18 pm

:shock: :lol: :ROFLMAO: :lol:

So I wonder if he liked to tour with that "specific wooden folding chair" to put his tremolo amp on at 90 degrees to the cab. :lol:
Great tones come in small glass jars
zaphod_phil
Squire

Postby fish on Sun May 23, 2010 12:49 pm

Yes, the chair goes on tour with him! seriously !
fish
Certified

Postby Strat59 on Sun May 23, 2010 1:42 pm

Now there's a guy who's lost the plot ! Hey Eric , I'd rather have ONE Classic Stones Album ( Recorded when they were all off their faces , through
Amps that were constantly breaking down , guitars going out of tune every 20 minutes , and an Orgy taking place most nights ) , than 100 of your
Albums............. Exile On Main Street for example :laff:

Point being , all those Classic Albums from the 60's , '70's were recorded by musicians ( in many cases) who just turned up , plugged in and played.
If they stayed awake / conscious through the whole session it was a bonus. TONE was in their Head / Hands , not Nuts , Bolts , Screws, Moving the
Nut, Removing the String Tree , Putting Rubber Bands around your Fuzz face coz it makes it sound better than the screw :shock: Keef , Rev Billy G ,
EVH , SRV , Leslie West , Hendrix , Iommi , Blackmore etc etc these guys could plug into anything and sound killer.

When it gets to the point where the Screws in the back panel of a Marshall effect Tone........... it's time for some help :wink:
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby LD50 on Sun May 23, 2010 2:01 pm

Surely Eric is doing this with a complete sense if irony :wink:

The 'eccentric' is interesting and a focus of conversation. I confess I am not really into EJ and his music, something leaves me a little cold, so I imagine I am of the same opinion as Strat59 8)
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Postby zaphod_phil on Sun May 23, 2010 3:39 pm

Yes, I'm kind of with both you guys on that. Another irony is that EJ's hearing is now shot. After his experiments with the reverberation you get in small bare rooms with very loud amps, he has lost his hearing in the upper frequencies. So if anyone can hear the benefit of the wooden folding chair, the rubber band or the special screws, it's certainly not EJ. :lol:
Great tones come in small glass jars
zaphod_phil
Squire

Postby thornybank on Sun May 23, 2010 4:19 pm

Well, no and yes.

No, the screws cannot possibly have a physical impact on tonality.

Yes, it can matter. if you are thinking about your gear, that can hold you back or stifle you or put your timing off.
If you feel that you have totally maxed your setup and the potential from it - it may free up some part of your mind/heart/spirit that will tweak your artistic interpretation or musical expression.

Music is kind of a magic process that way...
...and musicians are def that weird!!!!!!!

I mean, lucky shoes for footballers.
Same shirt all the way through a golf tournament.
Prayer before going on stage.
All the same....
Shut that thing off and get to bed!
thornybank
Page

Postby LD50 on Sun May 23, 2010 5:29 pm

thornybank wrote:Yes, it can matter. if you are thinking about your gear, that can hold you back or stifle you or put your timing off.
If you feel that you have totally maxed your setup and the potential from it - it may free up some part of your mind/heart/spirit that will tweak your artistic interpretation or musical expression.

Music is kind of a magic process that way...
...and musicians are def that weird!!!!!!!

I mean, lucky shoes for footballers.
Same shirt all the way through a golf tournament.
Prayer before going on stage.
All the same....

Yes I agree, if I sound better (or at least think I sound better I do play better :jam:
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Postby Strat59 on Sun May 23, 2010 11:57 pm

Just wish he'd stop drowning everything in Reverb & Delay. I saw an instructional video he did , the whole damn thing had delay / reverb to the max
on everything he played...... except 10 min when he plugged an Original '50's Strat directly into his Marshall............ KILLER TONE.

The more you obsess on things the more you become obsessed. I will admit his Signature Strat does sound v.good ! The whole obsession thing has
dominated his whole career. The thing is to me , you hear the reputation of Eric and his attention to details and figure wow this guy must sound
increadible , but when you hear him play his whole tone sounds the same and his music souless. 5min of Keef , Billy G , Peter Green , Kossoff , etc
and the emotion in their playing moves you.

My obsession is to make sure my old amps are well serviced , capped and performing as they should. Then I can get great tones. Don't worry about
nuts , screws , etc. Marshall had 3 companies building the Headboxes for them back in the '60s...........wonder if Eric figures the Birch ply on one
type is better sounding than the others ? :lol:
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby Ned B on Mon May 24, 2010 3:39 am

I think the folding chair thing is a nod to Pete when he had a Marshall head on a folding chair way back when...
Ned B
Baron

Postby Anje on Mon May 24, 2010 10:54 am

LD50 wrote:Surely Eric is doing this with a complete sense if irony :wink:

+1, Eric seems to have a great sense of humor and some good "self-irony" going on, so I'm sure he was making one of those jokes during the interview :cheers:
Anyway, that was a nice article on the Experience tour, thanks for the link!
http://geoffroy-marcus.com/: supporting new French Electro Jazz-pop album from a good friend - great authentic Hammond, Rhodes, Moog... tones with old school funk-bluesy-rock fusion flavors.
Anje
Knight

Location: Dark Side Of The Moon (Somewhere between SC and Krakow..)

Postby Bunnest on Mon May 24, 2010 2:32 pm

that one lick in pentatonic with adding those Dorian notes is cool..sorta... :sleepy:

nice tone, though...and once you tighten the power tube sockets, you CAN put the head back on the cab... :thumbsup:
'68 JMP PLEXI 100
'69 JMP PLEXI 100
Bunnest
Page

Postby Peteyvee on Mon May 24, 2010 5:13 pm

Suproman77 wrote:
gigant0r wrote:"Famous for being particular about seemingly insignificant gear details, Johnson chose the screws in the back of this Marshall head because of qualities he says affect feel and tone."

Hmmm...sounds ike Eric has been spending too much time on The Gear Page lately.

:lol:

My thoughts exactly. But I have 2 questions:

1.) What happens if the chair is turned slightly, to say 88 degrees?

and more importantly:

2.) If his amp falls off the chair in the middle of a solo and no one hears it fall or land on the floor, did it make a sound? :roll: :roll:
"The problem with kids today is that their hair's too short and their music isn't loud enough." -Peteyvee
"It's not the notes you play, it's the notes you don't play." -Miles Davis
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby 908ssp on Mon May 24, 2010 6:19 pm

Actually much of the talk about Eric is quiet dated. In recent interviews he has said he has relaxed his obsession with tone and is concentrating on making music. He quiet self effacing in his description of his earlier compulsion and regrets it as it cost valuable years of making music.
Alex
908ssp
Prince

Postby Tank on Mon May 24, 2010 8:32 pm

If changing the screws on any of my amps can make me play like EJ, I'm swapping them all out tonight! :D I think he's a fantastic player with a truly remarkable style and would kill to be able to do what he does. H-ll, I'd even like to sound like Bonamassa playing exactly like EJ http://theguitarbuzz.com/amps/the-bonamassa-amp-rig/
66/67 JTM45/100
69/70 4x12 Basketweave
67/68 1987 Smallbox
Tank
Page

Next

Return to Marshall