Winter Project - Park Topmount Resto

Hosted by Marshall Founding Father G3SDW. Discuss JTM45, JTM50, JTM100, Bluesbreaker, Super Lead, Super Bass, 200W, 100W, 50W, 20W, Plexi Panels, Metal Panels, 4x12 straight, 4x12 slant, Pinstripe, Basketweave, Checkerboard, Park, Kitchen-Marshall and Narb

Re: Winter Project - Park Topmount Resto

Postby Clanger on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:03 pm

Tried a bit of stripping today, although it was not the really the right weather for it, on many levels..

I couldn't find any Permatex, but did get some Carplan gasket remover spray. Starting with the back panel I tried the gasket remover, however it didn't seem to hardly touch the paint, so instead I broke out the Nitromors Mouse which did do something, again the ambient temperature was no help, but after a while a little progress, and guess what - some Green on Black begining to show through. Think this is going to be a long job.

"Please feel free to copy this information and use it to make friends and influence people at your favourite social gathering" - Doyle
Clanger
Knight

Postby Clanger on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:05 pm

Alnico wrote:
Clanger wrote: A Merren or Marstran 103 replica are exactly what I'm looking for. It would have been selector on tranny though (not just used on PA's, used in BB combos too), and that is what I'm holding out for. I've posted my need on the Marstran site some time ago, but got no response, maybe try Chris M next.

I sent one of these transformers to Brian for a rewind, so maybe he'll have copies available at some point. They're not the same as the 784-103, they're 4/8/16 ohms rather than 8/16 & 100V.

I also have a top mount Park, but it appears to be a bit later than yours. It has no back panel or serial number on the chassis, but it does have a lip under the control panel and the end turret on the board is used as a terminal for the speaker cable (the bias supply diode is angled over to the second turret).

BTW, I think the output transformer in yours is from a Selmer, possibly a T&B 50?

Thanks for the info, I'll check out Brian again, and check out the suggestion that it is Selmer OPT, may help someone out once I've replaced it.
"Please feel free to copy this information and use it to make friends and influence people at your favourite social gathering" - Doyle
Clanger
Knight

Postby drewleslie on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:00 pm

Clanger-- I've used the Permatex on tweed and brown fenders that were painted black. The stuff is amazing. But temperature is probably a big deal AND it's real nasty and must be used out of doors. Having trouble finding it around here too.
How can you tell the difference between a chemist and a plumber? Ask them to pronounce 'unionized'.
drewleslie
Knight

Postby kinmike on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:39 am

Believe it or not I have some original vents.

Mike
kinmike
Certified

Postby Clanger on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:44 pm

kinmike wrote:Believe it or not I have some original vents.

Mike

Then you are my best friend :lol:

My only worry is that around each vent hole on my amp are four screw holes. They are too widely spaced for a Vox Style vent. So either they are non original holes or my amp came with a different vent type (later parks hade wider chrome type vents).

But what can I say, except bear me in mind!

Cheers,

Clanger :thumbsup:
Clanger
Knight

Postby kinmike on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:07 pm

I'll take a picture and measure them and post up the results.

Mike
kinmike
Certified

Postby Gooch on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:45 pm

Have you tried (Easy-Off) oven cleaner to strip the paint? It usually works very well, and it won't eat up the piping or vinyl.
Dying ain't much of a living.
Gooch
Baron

Postby Clanger on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Gooch wrote:Have you tried (Easy-Off) oven cleaner to strip the paint? It usually works very well, and it won't eat up the piping or vinyl.

Ok, thanks for the tip.

This is gonna turn into a cleaning product shoot out pretty soon..
Clanger
Knight

Postby loz7 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:25 pm

Standard thinners with a scrubbing brush will get it off but it will run on the white tadpole etc-so best to remove stuff like that. Afterwards you will have to leave it outside for a day or two to get rid of the smell.Nitromors will do it but be carful if you leave it too long it will eat through the tolex.
loz7
Certified

Postby Gooch on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Any progress on the paint stripping?
Gooch
Baron

Postby Clanger on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:51 pm

Gooch wrote:Any progress on the paint stripping?

Hiya,

Well, yes, and interesting too, plus photo's, but I'm just so short of time - work, family , dental butchery (oh yeah) and a week on painkillers, Xmas (plus catching up with old mates in festive manner) conspire against me resizing and uploading pics and telling the yarn so far. Maybe I'll get to it at the weekend. Not that there's any huge surprises, I just want to present it in the right way for the archives so to speak.

Plus I just had to get to see the Hobbit tonight.

Cheers Clanger.
Clanger
Knight

Postby Gooch on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:54 pm

Clanger wrote:
Gooch wrote:Any progress on the paint stripping?

Hiya,

Well, yes, and interesting too, plus photo's, but I'm just so short of time - work, family , dental butchery (oh yeah) and a week on painkillers, Xmas (plus catching up with old mates in festive manner) conspire against me resizing and uploading pics and telling the yarn so far. Maybe I'll get to it at the weekend. Not that there's any huge surprises, I just want to present it in the right way for the archives so to speak.

Plus I just had to get to see the Hobbit tonight.

Cheers Clanger.

Sounds like you've had some positive results. Would love to hear/see about the project whenever you get the time. I recently stripped a front panel from a head box that had been painted white over the original black vinyl, then painted black again over the white. I used the Easy-Off and a stiff bristle brush (plus lots of water to rinse). Very messy but it turned out well. I first tried thinners, strippers, Goo Gone, Goof Off, etc., but none of them worked nearly as well as the Easy Off. I've never tried the gasket remover personally, but I'm sure it works fine on the right type of paint. I still need to do the rest of the head box (someday...).
Gooch
Baron

Postby kinmike on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Here are photos of the vents I have. They are two holers. I have no idea how old they are but I'm pretty sure they're Parks. The pic of the underside shows a little discoloration from heat. Maybe all Parks and Marshalls should have top vents. Many (most) don't.

Mike

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]
kinmike
Certified

Postby Clanger on Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:56 pm

Thanks for the pics Kinmike. Although I beleive my amp should have the brass early Vox style vents rather than these.
Clanger
Knight

Postby Clanger on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:19 pm

So, a progress update.

Dismantling the head box; Nasty cocoon thingy inside, it got hooked out and straight into fireplace.

Another view of the inside, Notice T-nuts for the handle, drawing pins holding the front panel cloth on!

Plywood strips locate the bottom of the chassis. They're held to the upright by glue and a couple of small gauge machine staples (which show up as fuzzy grey specks here), another hint for checking out the construction of any Bluesbreakers you might be considering buying.

General view of the interior. Yes of course she was out.

Removing the front panel, best to use a nice long screwdriver to maintain a good driving angle on the impossible to find imperial rounded head philips screwsImage

Front panel out. Note some DPO had managed to paint every square inch of vinyl, (except for one place he slipped up, more of that later) even inside the panel shuts.Image

White tadpole, originally also located by machine staple, now tacked on with pinsImage

Ok, thats enough work, there's a gig toniteImage
Clanger
Knight

PreviousNext

Return to Marshall