Cerrem mod as told by Eddie.

Hosted by Marshall Founding Father G3SDW. Discuss JTM45, JTM50, JTM100, Bluesbreaker, Super Lead, Super Bass, 200W, 100W, 50W, 20W, Plexi Panels, Metal Panels, 4x12 straight, 4x12 slant, Pinstripe, Basketweave, Checkerboard, Park, Kitchen-Marshall and Narb

Postby Dai on Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:56 am

power lover wrote:do alot of people refer to SL spec as including .1's? fewer if any SB's had .02's, and neither ever used the 4 ohm tap from what i understand.

the later lead circuit (the same kind as the 1959SLP with 33k slope R, etc.) usually had .022uF out of the PI, however some did apparently have .1uFs (I posted the specs on one I saw personally some time ago). Some amps also had things the other way around (i.e. had .022uFs when you would expect .1uFs). Probably not that extraordinary in light of all the other non-uniformity you see in old Marshalls.
Dai
Baron

Postby jfhudak on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:40 pm

rockstah wrote:
power lover wrote:do alot of people refer to SL spec as including .1's? fewer if any SB's had .02's, and neither ever used the 4 ohm tap from what i understand.

when they talk about 12 series they do and are talking .1u in a superlead. and again some superbasses had .022u in them. and yeah the only amps that used 4 ohm tap were amps that had 6550 in them. something that does effect tone.

Yep! My 76 was originally a 6550 amp. It had been converted before I got it by simply swapping the tubes!!! I changed the bias resistor and the NFB to the 16 ohm tap and rebiased it before I did anything else to the amp.

I experimented later with the 4 ohm tap, but I didn't really like it that much. Too mushy for me.
"Es gibt nichts, was es nicht gibt."
jfhudak
Knight

Postby LP Heaven on Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:00 pm

I have one question from a little fish in this BIG pond...

Mark - what freakin reverb are you using ? Its GD glorious !!!

Please tell me its a pedal.....
LP Heaven
Certified

Postby Axe Grinder on Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:32 pm

rockstah wrote:its back to stock plexi -( bass circuit )using cerrem trannys.

mistakes and all. :lol: just goofin off over here!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... ID=5810047
I am going to have to hear the first one again, but I think I like this better, less treble overlay and nice lows and Low-mids..sounds like Vito Bratta..
I do like this better than the 2 changes after it..like the darkness..
Axe Grinder
Knight

Postby The Pup on Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:14 am

8)
The Pup
Prince

Postby BURN on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:22 am

rockstah wrote:vito bratta? * slaps forhead*

no, Vito's tone was tighter...................just pullin' your chain Mark :lol:
BURN
Squire

Postby ericopp on Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:26 pm

Hey Mark, are you actually gonna try cerrem's mod for REAL?!?!?

I gotta say, this is my all-time favorite thread... (minus Cerrem giving you a hard time, of course :)

HAve you heard any of those TwistyNeck clips, with him in the studio blazing on Bill L. (his plexi) using Cerrem's mod? It's killer.
I gotta think of some cool sig...
ericopp
Peasant

Re: Cerrem mod as told by Eddie.

Postby rrguitar on Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:41 pm

Hamilton wrote:Victor, who owns this board, told me that he has seen THE amp. Yes, the first & second album Marshall, the one that a lot of dweebs would probably bow down to, and he said it was near stock.

Sheesh, will this "Eddie" stuff ever end...

Well then that goes with i will say now. Although i am noob on this board i can tell you one thing... I am friends with Rich Koerner, he taught John Suhr back in the day when John was interning for him... one day yrs back John calls him and says" you wont guess whos amp i have on the table." They proceded to talk about eds marshall he had there... John told him that there was only one thing changed in the whole amp... a resistor. THATS IT FOLKS. 99.9 % of that amp was stock. whatever a/b thing ed was using at the time with different amps or variacs or whatever may have contributed... but the amp was stock besides that resistor. For those in doubt, go here www.timeelect.com and call Rich yourself ! then call John Suhr and he will validate. John's a stand up guy and he'll talk to you.
rrguitar
Peasant

Postby mr.twistyneck on Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:59 pm

i agree with keeping the amp stock. there's plenty of room to have fun with altering the tone outside the box - variacs, resistors, goat cheese, bad advice, etc.

FWIW, i'd bet EVH's tone changed over the years due to several factors - hearing loss, endorsement potential, and also the fact that it is much easier to play through a 5150 than a SL with a giant resistor apparatus hanging out of it, plugged into a variac, and an EMT on standby when you electrocute yourself. LOL
mr.twistyneck
www.twistyneck.net
[IMG]
mr.twistyneck
Squire

Postby mrbeasty on Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:41 am

mr.twistyneck wrote:i agree with keeping the amp stock. there's plenty of room to have fun with altering the tone outside the box - variacs, resistors, goat cheese, bad advice, etc.

Don't forget alcohol! :shock:
"People need to know that this zombie menace, left unchecked, will be the death of us all!"
mrbeasty
Prince

Postby BURN on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:15 pm

Hell, i'm thinking if the old guy saw this thread, he would have to chuckle with all this :lol:
BURN
Squire

Postby cholula69 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:13 am

it's smoke and mirrors
cholula69
Squire

Postby outtahear on Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:37 pm

cholula69 wrote:it's smoke and mirrors

or specifically, how good was the smoke, and what was on the mirrors.... :shock:
ONE NATION, UNDERGROUND
outtahear
Page

Postby cholula69 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:12 pm

Yea!!!

EVH was recently quoted as sating he never had his amps modified in anyway, he was trying to toss a bone to some friends by having them give the customers "The EVH mod"

FWIW
cholula69
Squire

Postby Thumbsmagee on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:10 am

No freakin way; that sounds like the usual Eddie B.S. Tell me, have you ever heard a stock Plexi...of any year that sounds anything like the tone from VH1-1984...crank the heck out of em all you want, I have, and they don't break up like that...period, no matter what you stick in front of them. Pat's tone is killer and his playing is superb, but there are elements of that early sound that just are not there. Honestly, I haven't heard anything even close...hell, my Peacemaker IMHO sound darn good, but not even close...and I've read the threads and tried a lot of stuff...a rediculous amount of tubes, wet/dry effects, clean boosts, ODs, speaker changes and it ain't happening. Now I don't have Ed's fingertone, but I don't sukc either, and I started thinking something's gotta give b/c I've tried just about everything and this just ain't happening. If it were as simple as an almost stock Marshall, a lot more people would be nailing this tone...and if an amp builder were coming to see an amp that was a big part of my sound that people had been trying to rip for 10-15 years, I'd show him something else just to throw him off. I'm sure the guy has an army of old marshalls that weren't modded for his signature tone...I think the "smoke and mirrors" thing works both ways. There's a forum member here...maybe he'll chime in... who played a Jose modded Marshall, soon after Jose died with Mark Cameron that was dead-on for early EVH. They've seen "the amp" and it was most definitely not stock...and not necessarily a Plexi in every respect. I've heard modded plexis..ala David Bray...where my PM is at right now... but the tone is more in the vein of a Trainwreck then in the ballpark of EVH...IMHO, that's the direction you head in when you start increasing the gain of the standard plexi preamp; excellent for what it is but different. I could care less what Ed was quoted as saying; I know what my ears tell me. The proof's in the pudding, as they say, and I've been listening to Plexis with bastardized PTP 2203 boards, cerrum mods and PPIMVs among other things...which are part of the equation, and they are far and away the closest thing I've ever heard. I agree that a lot of it is "smoke and mirrors"...i.e. cranking up his variac to 140v when he actually lowered it to around 95v... but IMHO a lot isn't or else a bunch of other people would be nailing that tone too w/ "unmodded" plexis and IMHO they aren't. Here you go; A/B these clips w/2203 pre's against clips of stock plexis and listen for yourself. 8) I know what circuit board and trannys are going in my PM and they ain't stock 1959 Plexi specs; I've been down that road and IMHO, "you can't get there from here"

Ben W.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1
Thumbsmagee
Page

PreviousNext

Return to Marshall