New Host, Founding Father of Marshall!!!!

Hosted by Marshall Founding Father G3SDW. Discuss JTM45, JTM50, JTM100, Bluesbreaker, Super Lead, Super Bass, 200W, 100W, 50W, 20W, Plexi Panels, Metal Panels, 4x12 straight, 4x12 slant, Pinstripe, Basketweave, Checkerboard, Park, Kitchen-Marshall and Narb

Re: New Host, Founding Father of Marshall!!!!

Postby G3SDW on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:08 pm

The very first amp did use Mullard 6V6s and then went over to 6L6s.

This was not prior to using 4 o/p tubes though,circa `63.

I have said before that it is not a good idea to take what the books say as gospel as the people that wrote them were not there at the time.

I would read some of my very early posts and you will see that they even got day one wrong.

Thanks for the question.

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby KT66Hanwell on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:39 am

Fascinating thread! Thank you, Ken, for hanging with us here and sharing your expertise and passion! I'm a neophyte as far as electronics and the details of all of this, but I can tell you I've been a fan of Marshall amps for many years. I had some vague knowledge of who did what and how the earliest JTM45s came into being and, now, to hear about it from the source is just incredibly cool!
KT66Hanwell
Court Jester

Postby G3SDW on Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:28 am

Glad that i could have been of some help.

I am fascinated by your name KT66Hanwell, Dudley Craven who is no longer with us and was one of the original guys lived in Hanwell as Marshall has very strong links with Hanwell, Spooky.

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby KT66Hanwell on Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to hear about Mr. Craven.

I wish I could say there is some special reason why I chose "KT66Hanwell" other than that I like those tubes and that I was trying to pick something that spoke to the early history of Marshall. Plus, I think Hanwell has a ring to it.

Cheers!
KT66Hanwell
Court Jester

Postby G3SDW on Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:07 pm

Well Dudley used to live in a small cottage on the banks of the River Brent just as you drive into Hanwell from Southall,And i must say that i do miss him a lot as he was one heck of a good friend.
I find that even today i talk about things we used to do just like it was yesterday.

Thanks for picking such an appt` name.

Regards

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby Mayhawk on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:25 pm

Great thread! I have to admit, I first thought Tubetramp was back. :wink:

Hey, I may even go out and get a Marshall! :hmm:

ie, a real Marshall.....I do have 3 clones however. :shades:

Yes, would love to have one of Brian Poole's white halfstacks, assuming that old photo was for real and not just a publicity shot. BTW, Brian Poole and the Tremeloes had a few hits over here.....I think, 'Silence is Golden.' There are several that I hear from time to time on the oldies channel.

Of course, what set the Fab Four apart from the rest of the pack was their writing ability. As for their using Vox, Brian Epstein, ever the schmooze, approached Vox first and secured a pair of AC30's plus a bass amp for Paul. Gentleman's agreement/handshake, the Beatles got amps and Vox got free advertising. I think Vox came out way ahead on that deal. As for 'why Vox?' I think Vox was the logical move. At that time, Vox was the most venerable and dependable company (correct me if I am wrong here!) and certainly the 'name company' in the UK. The embargo on US goods was still on, I believe, so Fender was not an option. And Marshall was not up and running then.....

Funny, the Beatles later gravitated to Fender; had they tried the JTM45, I think it would have been game/set/match. :dude:

You will never convince me that Lennon would not have liked a white Marshall halfstack! :drool:
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby G3SDW on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:33 pm

Hey great post and yes must agree with you on all points.

One thing that would not have happened is that JM never gave anything away advertising or not, as a saying over here goes is that "He would not give you the dripping`s of his nose",need i say any more.

Happy days.

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby Mayhawk on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:55 am

G3SDW wrote:Hey great post and yes must agree with you on all points.

One thing that would not have happened is that JM never gave anything away advertising or not, as a saying over here goes is that "He would not give you the dripping`s of his nose",need i say any more.

Happy days.

Ken

Well, he was a drummer. A true businessman. Fortunately he had the wherewithal to corral the necessary personnel to give us the weapons that we required! 8)

My brother in law met JM at a NAMM show several years ago. Said you would never meet a nicer man....talk you ear off. Also said he was very very small..... I guess that makes the full stacks look that much more imposing! :wink:
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby G3SDW on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:27 am

Don`t get fooled it`s all an act believe me.

What you see is just the outer coating.

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby Jeff A Carlson on Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:07 am

G3SDW wrote:Don`t get fooled it`s all an act believe me.

What you see is just the outer coating.

Ken

The last 20 years of Marshalls out sourcing and diminished quality surely point toward the bottom line being the end all be all...Jim of course makes many of the big marketing events. They have long promoted their company about it's relations with the players, which holds no water after you've had the run around and paid out the nose to Korg USA. Maybe if your a rock star you get that personal type of service....I would think by now that JIm is paying endorsers.....He has so many and their quality isn't what it once was.........I'm guessing in your time with Marshall (Ken)
you dealt face to face with customers regarding service issues and product development....Seems Jim the drummer wouldn't be so effective in dealing with these things, other than to relay the fact that the customer wants a louder amplifer..........
Last edited by Jeff A Carlson on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff A Carlson
Jeff A Carlson
Page

Postby G3SDW on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:03 pm

You hit the nail on the head Jeff.

You no doubt can see that we never got on and i think that was that i speak my mind, what you see is what you get and respect other`s opinion and expect the same about mine.

He may be a small guy but he has a very loud and fowl mouth,so needless to say we never got on.

In my servicing business i always had face to face contact with customer no matter how big or small and prided my self of the service that i gave.

Regards

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby G3SDW on Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:47 pm

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/35077522/s ... +POOLE.jpg

Found this when sorting out some old files,dates back to `63/4

Regards

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby Eddie on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:57 am

Been following this thread for some time and just wanted to say it's a genuine pleasure to have you here Ken! Marshall amps have been and are such a huge part of my musical life, and to actually have the opportunity to interact with someone that was there at the beginning is simply fantastic!! :cheers:

Btw, lots of good vids of Brian Poole and the Tremelo's on YouTube!
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

http://s97.photobucket.com/home/LukeGibson69
Eddie
Court Jester

Postby G3SDW on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:41 pm

Thanks Eddie for the nice words, the pleasure is all mine, all of you have been most kind and i have surprised my self on being able to bring back all those details, the human brain is a incredible thing.

Regards

Ken

ps Brian Poole is and was a real nice guy.His band the Tremelo`s were mad but in a fun way though as i am sure you know what i mean.
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby jcs on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:36 pm

Hey Ken, Can you tell me what American amps were in demand in late 50s-early 60s England?

Just curious what you saw (blonde Fenders ,Ampegs,Gibsons etc) in American amps if any.
jcs
King

PreviousNext

Return to Marshall