New Host, Founding Father of Marshall!!!!

Hosted by Marshall Founding Father G3SDW. Discuss JTM45, JTM50, JTM100, Bluesbreaker, Super Lead, Super Bass, 200W, 100W, 50W, 20W, Plexi Panels, Metal Panels, 4x12 straight, 4x12 slant, Pinstripe, Basketweave, Checkerboard, Park, Kitchen-Marshall and Narb

Re: New Host, Founding Father of Marshall!!!!

Postby G3SDW on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:41 am

OK sounds just the ticket, look forward to that, it has now been confirmed that i will be off line on the 16th so will see you all on the other side.

Regards

Ken Underwood :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby kenflegg on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:54 pm

just wondering if any one would be interested in my memories of the birth of Marshall Amps? I was involved from when Dudley Craven started to manufacture the amps, I then joined Marshalls in 1963 and was with them till 1975. The first Amplifier was produced in September 1962, with only a very few being made by Dudley, however as this grew Dudley joined by Richard Findlay formed a company to produce these amps. Using a couple of Dudley's friends, I believe Ken Uderwood was one and I was the other, but this again was soon outgrown and Jim Marshall took over Dudley and Dicks company, with Dick leving at this point, come early 1963 Marshalls moved to Silverdale Road in Hayes. I joined the company soon after this.
To go right back to the begining, the idea for the amps came from Terry Marshall (thats the 'T' in JTM) Micky Boerer a member of staff in the shop, and a client or two.
kenflegg
Peasant

Postby jaywalker on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:11 am

Thank you Ken and welcome!
jaywalker
Baron

Postby Kuli on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:24 am

kenflegg wrote:just wondering if any one would be interested in my memories of the birth of Marshall Amps? I was involved from when Dudley Craven started to manufacture the amps, I then joined Marshalls in 1963 and was with them till 1975. The first Amplifier was produced in September 1962, with only a very few being made by Dudley, however as this grew Dudley joined by Richard Findlay formed a company to produce these amps. Using a couple of Dudley's friends, I believe Ken Uderwood was one and I was the other, but this again was soon outgrown and Jim Marshall took over Dudley and Dicks company, with Dick leving at this point, come early 1963 Marshalls moved to Silverdale Road in Hayes. I joined the company soon after this.
To go right back to the begining, the idea for the amps came from Terry Marshall (thats the 'T' in JTM) Micky Boerer a member of staff in the shop, and a client or two.

Wow!

So the very first amp was really produced in 1962 after all?
'66 JTM 45
'66 JTM 45/100
'68 1959T Super Tremolo
'69 1987 Lead
'69 Royal Purple 1960B basketweave
'70 4x12" Park blue basketweave
Kuli
Knight

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:04 am

If you have read the entire thread, Ken Underwood has mentioned a few time how he arrived at his timeline, I'd be patient and await his response.
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby outtahear on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:40 pm

Welcome Ken!
Looking forward to your recollections.
ONE NATION, UNDERGROUND
outtahear
Page

Postby Strat59 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:52 pm

Jim Marshall might like to Register next and contribute. :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard Ken , please feel free to ad your recollections for us all to benefit from. :cheers:
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby kenflegg on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Yes the first amplifier was built in 1962, but only a very few were made from that September, not what you could really call production. however a heathy growth did follow from 1963.

Jim Marshall, I am sure would have loved to have joined in, but unfortunatly he had a stroke a few years back which has left in in poor health.
kenflegg
Peasant

Postby Tube Rube on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:51 pm

So how do you explain this?

G3SDW wrote:Derrick,

Well have just been taking a shower and it is quite surprising how things come back (after 46 years).

The sound, whether it is Marshall`s or not the sound that we all know and love in my opinion was mainly down to Ken Bran as he had been on the road with a band from the late `50s and he knew what was needed,so between him and Dudley Craven they strived to get it what it is now.I am sure that JM had something to do with it as local bands came to his shop and wanted something better that what was around at the time mainly VOX and Fender but again the Fender had something to do with it as well.It was a mish mash of all things good with a little bit extra chucked in for good measure.

Another question that came to me and i am sure that someone will want to know is what song was the first to be played on the first Marshall amp in the Ealing Club?

Well this just came back to me in the shower in fact the first two was 1. a very rock version with a slowish beat of "Zipperdy Do Dar" with a couple of saxes chucked in for good measure great. Then the second number was "I saw her standing there" a Beatles track of that year late `63 and again this proves that it all started in `63 and not `62 as JM keeps going on about, the bloody song did not come out until `63 look at the link below.

http://www.stevesbeatles.com/songs/i_sa ... _there.asp

So again i hope that this is of some help.

Regards

Ken
If it's too loud, go away.
Tube Rube
Court Jester

Postby G3SDW on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:23 pm

After a major house move i am at last back on line and it is great to hear from Ken Flegg who i remember well. As i am at the moment only using a 3G dongle to get internet access i am slightly limited .

If you guys could bear with me i will explain the details that |Ken has said.

Good to hear from you Ken after so so long.

Regards

Ken Underwood :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby 57lpjr on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:23 pm

Both those accounts seem to jive me and are mutually supportive of when the first production Marshall JTM45's occurred. Can't wait for more detail from both the Ken's.
I have more gear than I need...but not as much gear as I want...

"Roll over Woodstock - we won!" & "Music is life, and life is not a business." (Iggy Pop 3/15/10)

"but lately one or two has fully paid their due for working for the clampdown...HAH, Gitalong, Gitalong"

"I believe, believe, believe, that there's better days ahead. I believe, believe, believe, that there's a heaven before I'm dead."

"I'll play for free but I gotta get paid for breaking my s**t down at the end of the night"
57lpjr
Ampmeister

Postby demonufo on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:33 am

I'm wondering if it's worth starting a new pics thread, and try to put our resources into getting internal shots of the earliest amps, and the offset amps, to see if any date codes on components shed any light on this. I know not all the early amps used mustards, but the date codes on those caps are pretty good indicators on the amps that there were used in. :wink:

I know some of you guys out there (or used to be here at least) stockpile such pics...
Git orffff moi lannnddddd!!

http://www.myspace.com/molotovsexbomb
demonufo
Baron

Postby Strat59 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:19 pm

demonufo wrote:I'm wondering if it's worth starting a new pics thread, and try to put our resources into getting internal shots of the earliest amps, and the offset amps, to see if any date codes on components shed any light on this. I know not all the early amps used mustards, but the date codes on those caps are pretty good indicators on the amps that there were used in. :wink:

I know some of you guys out there (or used to be here at least) stockpile such pics...

+1 :thumbsup: Would also be appreciated by all to view a good selection of pics of those amps internals as a reference and learning tool.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby G3SDW on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:46 pm

After the sad news today i will leave my reply for another time out of respect.

Regards

Ken Underwood
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby Britishampfan on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:30 pm

Well, here it is then, Time waits for no man and I respectfully would like to learn more about the history of the finest amps in the world from people that were there.

If I am out of line, call me a t-wat and let this thread cycle down into the abyss.
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

PreviousNext

Return to Marshall