New Host, Founding Father of Marshall!!!!

Hosted by Marshall Founding Father G3SDW. Discuss JTM45, JTM50, JTM100, Bluesbreaker, Super Lead, Super Bass, 200W, 100W, 50W, 20W, Plexi Panels, Metal Panels, 4x12 straight, 4x12 slant, Pinstripe, Basketweave, Checkerboard, Park, Kitchen-Marshall and Narb

Re: New Host, Founding Father of Marshall!!!!

Postby Emerson Biggins on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:12 pm

Just make sure your son has that Les Paul plugged in to one of your earliest Marshalls,, how fitting that would be :thumbsup:
"Yesterday is history, and tomorrow is a mystery,, today is a gift - thats why they call it the present".
Emerson Biggins
Baron

Postby plexi on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:52 pm

EMI was a widely diverse company. Technologies bassed. What did you do there Ken?
plexi
Site Admin

Postby Highwaystar on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:03 pm

Ken great to have you here, its always nice to get some insight on how things were.

You had wrote earlier that Terry Marshall left to work for the competition, Who did Terry work for?
Nate / #7
Highwaystar
King

Postby G3SDW on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:18 am

Hi i am surprised that this question has not come up until now.It was all kept hush hush at the time and as far as i can remember he had some thing to do Hiwatt or Park and also there were stories that he was involved with both but this cannot be confirmed. For me personally i think it was Hiwatt.

Now as i am sure you will know he is the MD he must have done a lot of licking lol.

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby zaphod_phil on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:25 pm

Park amps were actually made by Marshall anyway. So Hiwatt may indeed have been more likely - or maybe it was Sound City? There was some common history between Sound City and Hiwatt. Or you don't think he may even have joined with Orange...?
Great tones come in small glass jars
zaphod_phil
Squire

Postby G3SDW on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:27 pm

You are probably right (Hiwatt), it was all very hush hush at the time but i do know that the fall out was very very big time and the reason was never told but as they say time is a big healer he is now in charge.

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby Highwaystar on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:54 pm

When I read the post I first thought Terry might have gone to Carlsbro or Dallas Arbiter. But after thinking about it for a little bit I think I now can understand something Ivor Arbiter had said a few years back. "JM should be putting flowers on Dave Reeves grave".

I also was going to ask earlier how all the amp engineers acted towards each other? I now that Carlsbro, Sound City(Dallas Arbiter) and HiWatt worked to gether along with the part suppliers. I never really heard about Marshall doing that though.
Nate / #7
Highwaystar
King

Postby psychodave on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:43 pm

Wow, I am honored to have you here. Thanks for helping shape history.
I have a lot of stuff!
psychodave
Baron

Postby G3SDW on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:54 pm

The so called "Marshall" sound was a term that JM made it all started when we just wanted to make something that gave a much better sound than what was available at that time.
We knew that the Fender was a good amp and Dudley felt that he could make it better with a little bit a tweaking and this was with the 6L6`s the KT66`s came later. So i think that if anything should be called the Dudley sound LOL. JM as usual put his name on it as he did on the name of "Marshall" but a lot happened before he was on the scene.

Second point Celestion was used from day one.

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby Britishampfan on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:10 pm

Ken, I cannot describe in words how good sounding and satisfying my Marshall is to play I believe they are the best. I also am a fan of the other British amps hence my name. Was there collaboration with other engineers after Marshall was established in developing the British sound? I think amplification does`nt get any better than Marshall,Vox,Orange,Laney,Hiwatt.....
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Postby G3SDW on Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:06 am

In the early days there was not connection with any other engineers. The sound that we all love was totally down to Audibly Ken Bran and Technically Dudley Craven.

JM would not collaborate with any one else except his bank balance lol.

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby Strat59 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:35 pm

Britishampfan wrote:Ken, I cannot describe in words how good sounding and satisfying my Marshall is to play I believe they are the best. I also am a fan of the other British amps hence my name. Was there collaboration with other engineers after Marshall was established in developing the British sound? I think amplification does`nt get any better than Marshall,Vox,Orange,Laney,Hiwatt.....

And before them all....... SELMER ! :D
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby G3SDW on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:27 pm

Selmer,Vox, Fender Hey Ho, any others?

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby zaphod_phil on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:44 pm

G3SDW wrote: Fender

:shock: No, that one's American. Now you'll have to put 50p in the swear box for using the "F word" :lol:
Great tones come in small glass jars
zaphod_phil
Squire

Postby G3SDW on Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:17 pm

OK as long as the kitty does not go into JM`s pocket lol.

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

PreviousNext

Return to Marshall