Dynacord Jazz

Burns, Selmer, WEM, and more

Dynacord Jazz

Postby quiqueguitar on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:59 am

I own a Dynacord Jazz amp. It's an old German amp from the 50's (sorry, couldn't find a subforum devoted to this kind of amps, so I'm including it here). It has two speakers, but I bought mine with only one - you know, bought it from someone who thought it was just an old piece of junk and took one of the speakers for another amp.

Simple controls: volume and tone.
Here's a video I recorded recently. The sound came out a bit nasal, but its real sound is crunchy and a lot clearer. I'd like to know what you think of it. Thanks for watching. Take care!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezjlO7EPwK8

:cheers:
quiqueguitar
Peasant

Re: Dynacord Jazz

Postby Racing on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:11 am

Living in Sweden i´ve fooled around with these on occasion. I find the OEM tone a bit hard. Easy to remedy tho. If you look the schematics up online look up the cathode resistor for the cathodyne. For Dynas this is normaly 1k. Replace that with a 3.3k.
Racing
Squire

Postby Racing on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:31 pm

FWIW,here the Jazz´s sibling. The Twen. Rather similar schematics.

Rather extensively modified though. An extra pre-amp tube added and rather heavy tweaks to the existing circuitry too. For those of you not familiar with the small Dynas they are more oriented to being "orchestra ditch" amps. Cleans cleans cleans.
Well, Not so in this case.

Inputjack 2 was scrapped for a gainpot. Then the DIN jacket for the footswitch was removed as well for the advantage of installing a Baxandall tonestack,which is installed directly after the first entry gainstage.(One bass and one treble)

The flick is with the amp in "delta grit crunch mode". From there...back off on the gaindial and it´ll get squeeky clean,turn said dial the other way....and it´ll give a JCM800 a run for the money distortion wise.

Guitar is a -79 Aria Pro II ES-800 completely stock and obviously in drop D. Guitarist is friend Jonas. As you probably notice the tremolo is in effect. Sorry to say the quality of the clip is a little so-so as it was done with a rather meek performing Zoom Q3 halfways through the night last night(..and half a bottle of whisky as can be seen atop the amp :lol: )
This was recorded in my aptm and as such what you hear is the amp at "bedroom" levels. As you crack the master open(it´s got such a thing these days.. 8) )it´ll basicaly just turn more "open" to the sound and the cab per se will start to add to the tonality.

The OEM amp was made back in the mid 60s.

Speaker is an Eminence patriot blackpowder.

Amp has this very very rare ability to sound "old". Woods of the cabinet of course helps,but even hooked up to a 412 that ability is still there,albeit not as pronounced.

Combo is a given really. Mainly of course as it sounds as it does,but also for the fact that in weighs in at a total of 14kg complete. Ie;easy to just grab and go for minor club gigs et al.
Racing
Squire

Postby Racing on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Last Twen i modded the behemoth out of. Gain dials are about bottomed out in the clip,on the other hand back off on both of ém and she´ll turn squeeky clean-as stock.
Racing
Squire

Return to Miscellaneous British Amplifiers