Traynor Restoration/Rebuild Help

Burns, Selmer, WEM, and more

Traynor Restoration/Rebuild Help

Postby brandon_cur on Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:50 am

Hey guys,

I need help restoring/rebuilding my Traynor. I don't expect it to turn out to be a Marshall. In fact I want it for it's own sound. That said, I would like to Marshallize the circuit a bit. So here's my questions:

1.) What do I need to convert it back to shared cathode? It was suggested convert it to a 250/820 v1 and a .68/820 on v2 because I like the touch of gain/mid boost.

2.) I really want to tidy up the circuit. I recently got it back from a tech who didn't do what I wanted. Long story short, I want to do it myself. He said the Negative Feedback resistor kept blowing. A resistor blew once because a solder joint came undone, but could this actually happen from that low of a value (27k for JTM45 type sounds)? Or is he full of it? He placed two 13k resistors (in parallel to each other) in series to the NFB which he claims solved the problem. I'm tempted to just clip them out and see how she sounds.

3.) He installed 100k resistors (series to each other) to both of my .1 output coupler caps. What did this do? I was thinking of changing these to .022 mallorys to roll off some bass. Thoughts?

4.) How do I bias this damn thing!?

Brandon

Any help appreciated :cheers:
Last edited by brandon_cur on Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brandon_cur
Peasant

Re: Traynor Restoration/Rebuild Help

Postby Mr. Foxen on Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:29 am

There are more Marshalls around than anything else, so making anything else more Marshall like is a terrible thing to do. Return it to stock. Then decide if it is what you want. An never use a tech who tries to make everything into a Marshall ever again.
Gear tinkering blog: http://ampstack.wordpress.com/
Made a Facebook page for my ampguts stuff. Feel free to come post amp guts and rig shots: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ampstack/351966881575839
Music: https://warriorpope.bandcamp.com/album/ ... w-and-thud
Mr. Foxen
Squire

Postby brandon_cur on Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:38 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Mr. Foxen, but stock didn't cut it for me. A little too stiff and bass heavy. Like I said I'm trying to dial it in to my own liking which just happens to involve typical Marshall circuit values.
brandon_cur
Peasant

Postby brandon_cur on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:13 am

Bump for any additional help or opinions. So far I've managed to convert it to shared cathode. At first the amp was really noisy, so I resoldered every joint and twisted the knob and it went away. But using certain patch cables brought it back when stacking a treble booster into a SD-1. Maybe those are too low quality to use with a germanium tranny of the treble booster?

Gonna keep reading ancient threads to try and make sense of this. Can someone also tell me which filter cap is the screen and which is the inverter? And where are the preamp filter caps? Is that another name for bias filter caps?
brandon_cur
Peasant

Postby brandon_cur on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:43 pm

Here's a picture of a different YBA-1 (no camera of my own). If someone could answer a few paint-by-numbers questions:

1.) R28 is the choke resistor right?

2.)C18/C17 is the screen filter cap (40/40 Lcr Can) that I want to change to 32/32uf right?

3.)C20/C19 is the multi filter cap for the inverter/preamp (40/40 LCR) that I want to change to 16/16uf right?

My goal is to try and reduce the filtering to Marshall spec for a bit more warmth/sag/grind etc.
Attachments
wiring1.JPG
brandon_cur
Peasant

Postby stratele52 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:32 am

Hi brandon I miss your post , you are not in the good section. You should be in American amp, not British
stratele52
Knight

Postby Mr. Foxen on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:39 am

Traynors are Canadian anyway. an since he really wants a Marshall, this is sort of as right as he's gonna get.
Gear tinkering blog: http://ampstack.wordpress.com/
Made a Facebook page for my ampguts stuff. Feel free to come post amp guts and rig shots: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ampstack/351966881575839
Music: https://warriorpope.bandcamp.com/album/ ... w-and-thud
Mr. Foxen
Squire

Postby brandon_cur on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:39 pm

Well my reasoning was that while Canada is indeed in North America (the continent), it is also part of the British "commonwealth." I mean we don't call Fenders made in Mexico American Fenders because they were made in North America. I'll still copy this thread over there since it doesn't seem to be doing much here. Thanks guys.
brandon_cur
Peasant

Postby stratele52 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:58 am

brandon_cur wrote:Well my reasoning was that while Canada is indeed in North America (the continent), it is also part of the British "commonwealth." I mean we don't call Fenders made in Mexico American Fenders because they were made in North America. I'll still copy this thread over there since it doesn't seem to be doing much here. Thanks guys.

I' m canadian ,sorry but your conclusion are wrong

I'd like to help you put I can't see your number on your Traynor picture.

There are some forum on the web about modify Traynor, have you triend to look ?
stratele52
Knight

Return to Miscellaneous British Amplifiers