Why does Soldano use 6L6's?

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Why does Soldano use 6L6's?

Postby Analog on Mon Dec 23, 2002 7:35 am

Probably the stupidest question a Soldano owner has ever heard but I got my 6L6 equiped (not a soldano) poweramp modified recently and people keep telling me to get it altered to take EL34's as they will give me more punch.
The 6L6's are clear & precise but seem to lack that fat sound.
I play heaps of High Gain stuff (and Soldano is the King of High Gain) but also like that old marshall sound.
PLEASE HELP!! (before I throw away lots of money.) :confused:
GIVE ME AN 'A'!
KKRRAANNGGGG!!!! AYE?
Analog
Knight

Re: Why does Soldano use 6L6's?

Postby frankcannon on Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:29 am

Originally posted by Rack 'n' Roll:
Probably the stupidest question a Soldano owner has ever heard but I got my 6L6 equiped (not a soldano) poweramp modified recently and people keep telling me to get it altered to take EL34's as they will give me more punch.
I play heaps of High Gain stuff (and Soldano is the King of High Gain) but also like that old marshall sound.
Probably because they're an American co. and didn't set out to make a Marshall clone. From what I remember reading, Mike wanted to improve a Boogie he used way back before the co. even started. Boogies are 6L6 amps...back then, anyway.
If you want FAT, use KT-66's. I got an SLO-100 factory shipped with KT-66's and it FAT as hell.
frankcannon
Court Jester

Postby Dave M. on Tue Dec 24, 2002 3:27 am

Actually, the Soldanos are very similar to Marshalls. Much more similar than a Boogie.

IIRC, Soldano went with Sovtek 5881 tubes due to their ruggedness and availability at the time of the SLO's inception.
Dave M.
Page

Postby daprofessor on Tue Dec 24, 2002 5:34 am

Contact Bill Sundt at Soldano and get the information first hand, he is great at replying to email. I own a SLO with KT-66's and don't have any problem with a lack of FAT!

I heard that when Mike was originally designing the SLO he actually had Fender(6l6's) amps in mind as opposed to Marshalls (El-34's). As it turned out, his amps sound like modified Marshalls as opposed to Fenders. :confused:

Go figure.
daprofessor
Squire

Postby Woody on Tue Dec 24, 2002 5:51 am

Some input here from someone who has never played a Soldano Amp - I was floored. I think I played a 50 Watt (?something). They just handed me a cord and I plugged it in. I was playing a Blackmore strat with the quarter pounders. Even though the single coil hum was annoying that amp was so smooth and full. I think I'm gonna look to get one of these.
Woody

"More Marshall's"
Woody
Prince

Location: SFO MCO BOS YEG LAX WAS SEA MUC LAS CPR YVR SMF ATL DFW BIL ANC MIA ACV GEG SJC YYC SJD MFR RNO DEN

Postby Crunchyriff on Tue Dec 24, 2002 7:46 am

My Soldano HR50+ constantly amazes me. It's not what I want in my rig for everything, but what it does, it does so well. Awesome lead tone. And I use the clean channel with stompboxes in front, as you are all aware by now. I just gotta try the KT66's in it.
When the Trumpet sounds, I'm outta this dump...
Crunchyriff
Baron

Postby frankcannon on Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:17 am

Originally posted by Dave M.:
Actually, the Soldanos are very similar to Marshalls. Much more similar than a Boogie.

IIRC, Soldano went with Sovtek 5881 tubes due to their ruggedness and availability at the time of the SLO's inception.
They shipped with US 6L6's for the first years.
frankcannon
Court Jester

Postby Star*Guitar on Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:44 pm

6L6 have more definition and a more modern..and I use that term loosely..tone. They also are tad more harsh.

EL34 are a bit more muddy but conversely a lot warmer.

Now.....If you want the best of both worlds..do what I do...I don't know if Soldano are fixed biased or not but I suspect they are not.

Buy an integrated quad. That is a quad of two EL34L's and 6L6's. The are a cold set of 6L6's and a hot set of EL34L's.

That is what I use and I get the best of both worlds. They have a tube dissipation of 30 watts and my amp has a plate voltage of 477 watts so I set the bias at 44 mA. Which is 70% of the total.

A good source of these tubes is Bob @ Eurotubes.
Star*Guitar
Star*Guitar
Baron

Postby Swarty on Wed Dec 25, 2002 4:26 am

I don't know why they use 6L6s, but I really think they are better suited to follow high gain preamps than EL34s. EL34s are a soft tube that is quick to bend (distort) when pushed. When you have a gained up, sloppy, soupy, slurpy preamp followed by a loose, soft power amp (EL34s), the result is often mush when trying to get loud. 6L6s or better yet, 6550s, will help keep things tight and defined, especially in the lowend department.
Swarty
Baron

Postby riffmeister on Wed Dec 25, 2002 5:36 pm

If it sounds good, it don't matter what tubes are being used.
riffmeister
Certified

Postby Analog on Wed Dec 25, 2002 11:48 pm

One of the tubes is nearly dead so I have to put new ones in anyway.
It was crap before I got it moddified.
No clarity up high & mushy bass.
Its a Peavey 60/60.
The dude changed it to 'similar to' a blackface Fender power stage circuit (he gave me a bag with about 25 unneeded parts) and WOW what a difference.
Perfect clarity across the range.
If anyone wants to know more just email me.

The lack of fat punch I think is because the 6L6's are so accurate and theres no presence control.
Maybe I will try the mixed tube trick as I think that is the answer.
Then if the EL34's get too mushy, I can turn that side down a bit and boost the 6L6's.
And when recording I can have either option.
Thanks Guys.
GIVE ME AN 'A'!
KKRRAANNGGGG!!!! AYE?
Analog
Knight

Postby mrbeasty on Thu Dec 26, 2002 5:11 pm

I would recommand you to get the "Depth" knob Mod ... it is by far the best Mod you can get from Soldano. It does not change the tone at all but increases the Low end response in a very nice way. It does not have as much low end as a Dual Rectifier but it will "get you by" ;) ...

My $0.02 ...
"People need to know that this zombie menace, left unchecked, will be the death of us all!"
mrbeasty
Prince

Postby ranger on Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:45 am

Definatly try kt66's in any soldano. I have a Hot Rod 100+ with 'em and the thing is absolutely devastating!

steve

PS: I've not posted on this particular forum before :)
Self-Pity. I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen
dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. DH Lawrence
ranger
Squire

Postby 1959burst on Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:49 am

i just got a gray tolex hot rod 50 head from 92, serial number 500319. i got it cheap and it just sings!!!!! i quickly added it to my main rig and it hasn't stopped amazing me. ;)
Musican/Luthier/Stringed Instrument Repairman/Resident Instigator http://www.myspace.com/greg1959burstwilson http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=604305709
1959burst
King

Postby Christopher on Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:52 am

Explain in where or how to get the depth mod done....Also, what procedures need to be followed to transfer the 6l6's in my hr50 to kt66's?

Thanks!

Chris
Christopher
Peasant

Next

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers