Speakers for Silvertone 1483

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Speakers for Silvertone 1483

Postby rembetika on Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:18 pm

Have a 1483 that I want to get a cab made for - I am thinking of going with a 1x12 or a 2x12 - I have not tried this amp with a lot of other speakers other than two 25 watt greenbacks. Not sure if I should go with an open or closed back cab and dont know of a what speakers would work well with it. The greenbacks didnt really do it for this amp - any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks

i am using it mainly with a les paul custom w/t-tops - i am not looking for clean
rembetika
Peasant

Postby Kevlar3000 on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:26 pm

Killer little amp, I love mine. I have a few cab options that I use, all sound very nice IMO. I have an early 60s Gibson Mercury cab, 2/12 ported in the middle. I loaded the cab with a Eminence Swamp Thang and a Tonespotter. Huge full sound, not the breakup of GB type speakers. Big and round with lots of bottom.

I have a Hilgen 2/12 loaded with an Emi Wizard and a Celestion G12-70, weird combo but it works great with that cab. That set up was band in the Gibson cab.

Traynor 2/12 cab, has a late 60s CTS alnico in the top and my other G12 70 in the bottom. Really fat and smooth.

The 1483 sounds great, yet very different through each set up. The Hilgen cab definate is the most 'hard rock' tonally, the others are great blusey voiced cabs.

Also, if you with my Soundclick link. there is a song called Fat Jojo. That is my 1483 with an ampeg 4/12 cab loaded with Eminence 122 Alnicos. You can hear it in action....

I have mixed and matched speakers endlessly over the years, my current set ups seem to do the trick. Have not had the urge to open up a cab in a few months..... They work well with all of my various heads. The more tonal variety the better IMO. Keeps me interested....
Kevlar3000
The Vulture King

Postby mad dog on Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:11 pm

Maybe not totally relevant, but anyway: I have a '56 Silvertone 1336, 2x12 that came stock with Utah alnicos. This is a rather different sounding amp than the 1483. Seems punchier, louder to me, does not compress that much. Based on recent experience with another amp, I'm dying to try Cannabis Rex speakers in this one. Don't know if they'll fit the chassis. CRex are the warmest, best-sounding ceramics I've heard in a long time. Not muffled in the least, not especially dark as so many claim. They'd warm up my 1336 for sure, might do the same for yours. Surely a bigger, tighter bass than with greenbacks (though I like them as well.)
mad dog
Certified

Postby ayh on Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:01 pm

Usauslly run mine through a pair of 76 G 12 M's these days.Used to play it through a Marshall 1965 4x10 cab,a perfect match
ayh
Motivational Speaker

Postby rembetika on Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:07 am

thanks all for the replies - interesting - the celestions seem to be working for all of you but not me - real suprised about the g12 70's - also heard good thing about the cannabis speakers - i was kind of thinking an old c12q or R might be the answer - after playin it a bit more I am thinking maybe a 1x12 open back may be the way to go - eh? thanks
rembetika
Peasant

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers