Silvertone 1482 Dimensions?

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Silvertone 1482 Dimensions?

Postby Toyman_PA on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:40 pm

I have a 1482 chassis without the cab and wanted to build a combo like the original. Can anyone who has one give me the length, width and height of it?

Thanks,
Toyman
Toyman_PA
Peasant

Postby capnjuan on Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:36 pm

Hi Toyman: dimensions for a Silvertone 1482 in the text of this ebay auction:
eBay 1482 link

Good Luck! cj
Guild Guitars
Gibson and Guild Amps
Misc Pedals and Effects
capnjuan
Court Jester

Postby RWood on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:54 am

Nice catch, Cap'n........ and "welcome" from another Guild amp player. 8)

That's a better 1482 than the one I owned back in the 60's. Truly a closet classic. Doesn't have the plaid cover, but apparently it hasn't needed it, either.

Toyman, are you going to build your cabinet out of beaverboard like the originals?

RWood
RWood
Page

Postby Toyman_PA on Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:21 pm

Thanks for the info. :D

I am thinking about using hardwood to build the cabinet.

Not sure which wood yet. Not really a fan of oak and Maple, Mahogany and Cherry get expensive. I might go with poplar as a cheap alternative being my first try.

I was inspired by the recabs at Vintone.
http://www.vintone.com/rc_bj115_p
Toyman_PA
Peasant

Postby capnjuan on Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:47 pm

RWood wrote: That's a better 1482 than the one I owned back in the 60's. Truly a closet classic. Doesn't have the plaid cover, but apparently it hasn't needed it, either. RWood

Hi RWood; thanks for the Howdy; I had that one in the eBay Watch column when I bid/won another 1482 for a friend offshore; going to do maintenance before shipping. He's excited; me too. About as straightforward an amp as they come, no?

I have a Guild T1 RVT (early version; no vertical metal backpanel on the chassis); one of the odder ducks on the pond. I have it running pretty well and fixed a number of cabinet problems. Like some fine wines, this amp 'doesn't travel well'. Living and dying with particle board; glad I didn't work at Guild 40 yearss ago when these came back broken from the dealers.

You have one of these? Maybe the Thunderbird?

Regards,
cj
Guild Guitars
Gibson and Guild Amps
Misc Pedals and Effects
capnjuan
Court Jester

Postby capnjuan on Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:53 pm

Toyman_PA wrote:...thinking about using hardwood to build the cabinet...Not sure...I might go with poplar as a cheap alternative being my first try...inspired by the recabs at Vintone.

Hi Toyman; Wow, after peeking at Vintone's site, I can see why! Good luck whatever you choose; I'm sure it'll look great.

cj
Guild Guitars
Gibson and Guild Amps
Misc Pedals and Effects
capnjuan
Court Jester

Postby RWood on Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:21 pm

capnjuan wrote: About as straightforward an amp as they come, no?

I found it a bit daunting working on the point-to-point versus a circuit board amp, but very do-able. I'm restoring a 1471 at the moment. Both of those amps are about as light-duty as they come, with an OT that looks like a choke, but everything seems to work together well for a pleasing overdrive tone.
When you get yours, be sure to check for drifted carbon comp values.

capnjuan wrote: You have one of these? Maybe the Thunderbird?

It's a Thunderbass that I've recapped, retubed (8417s) and am still troubleshooting. Belongs to friend. I've been in touch with Aaron Newman, one of Guild's circuit designers in the mid-sixties. Very nice man.

Sorry for the hijack, Toyman; post some pictures of your project as you go. Those Vintone cabs are cool.

RWood
RWood
Page

Postby capnjuan on Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:22 pm

RWood wrote:...I'm restoring a 1471...about as light-duty as they come ... a pleasing overdrive tone...check for drifted carbon comp values. 10-4. Amp's not here but I've already ordered resistors for ps / grids / plates; my friend solders not and where it's going puts a premium on reliability - must be rock solid when it goes out the door.

It's a Thunderbass ... I've been in touch with Aaron Newman, one of Guild's circuit designers Is that the two- or four-tube preamp model? You are fortunate; I have a friend on another BB who has a two-tube model; wants it rehabbed/modded for guitar. Worth doing?

Sorry for the hijack, Toyman...Me Too!... post some pictures of your project as you go. Those Vintone cabs are cool.RWood

Regards, John
Guild Guitars
Gibson and Guild Amps
Misc Pedals and Effects
capnjuan
Court Jester

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers