Wilder amps?

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Wilder amps?

Postby MKII on Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:37 am

Anyone have any info and photos of Wilder amps.

A quick google search reveals they were made in Chicago during the mid - late 60's stopping in 1971.
MKII
Squire

Re: Wilder amps?

Postby JRVC on Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:11 pm

MKII wrote:Anyone have any info and photos of Wilder amps.

A quick google search reveals they were made in Chicago during the mid - late 60's stopping in 1971.

No, but I think I have a Wilder 10" speaker in my 1963 Epiphone Pacemaker. The number stamped on it is 449 which I think makes it a Wilder.

That is the only thing I know about Wilder cannot find much on the internet...

Last edited by JRVC on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
JRVC

Epiphone Pacemaker EA-50T (Made in Kalamazoo USA 1963)
Music Man 212HD 130 (Made in Anaheim USA 1978)
Music Man 410 75 (Made in Anaheim USA 1980)
JRVC
Peasant

Postby jamminbill on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:19 am

Well, Ive never seen a wilder amp either.
But , I too have a wilder 12" speaker with a wizzer cone that I think is a alinco speaker.
I put it, and a jensen alinco speaker in a 2+12" best sounding cab 2+12 cab ever!!!
Ive had these speakers for a long time.
I got them in a trade, and the guy I got them off of use to junk out old church organs and such.
So it's a possibility thats what the, { AMP } may have also came out of.
Unless it's a true guitar amp?
The speakers have a magnet,that looks like an upside down drinking glass, and the wilder is from 1960's and the jensen 1961
Good luck
Jam
jamminbill
Peasant

Postby vibrolux56 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:18 pm

I have several Wilder speakers I bought from a local guy that parts out organs. They come from Gulbratsen organs. Wilder did make some solid state amps for a couple of years, maybe 70/71 or so. I have read that Kieth Richards used one on some recordings and one US tour about that time. I also read that several Chicago based rock bands from that time used the Wilder amps. They were a Chicago based company. I had a picture of a 4-12" speaker cabinet, no head, but I had it on my old computer when it crashed. I've spent quite a bit of time tryng to find out more, but this about all I know. There was a Harmony Central review or two, but I haven't been able to dredge them up with thier new system.

I have one Wilder 12" with a jensen style cone (no whizzer) in my Deluxe Reverb, I love it, that's why I bought the others. There are 10" and 12" that come from the organs, they appear to all be 1 1/2" voice coils, large round alnico magnets (quite like a P12N) and I have three different style cones in the 12" speakers, one is quite like a P12N, another one looks much like a british cone (no whizzer), and the others all have the whizzer cone type. All of the 10" that I have also have the whizzer cones. The whizzers can be cut out, and experimenting with one of the 10's I installed a large H-type dustcap, that warmed it up quite a bit. my 2 cents, JD
vibrolux56
Peasant

Postby turpis on Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:41 am

Here is a couple of pictures of my brothers wilder 90a. I don't think he has used it in years. Image Image
turpis
Peasant

Postby sunndemon on Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:44 pm

All I've ever seen in the midwest and west coast were PA columns-kinda old school Fenderish with angled tolex trim at the top of the grill cloth. Decades ago I heard that Keith Richards story as well; SUPPOSEDLY he used a Wilder amp on 'Honkey Tonk Women', but of course that's always open to discussion.
sunndemon
Page

Postby pbassplayer on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:29 am

we had some wilder p/a columns in a band i was in (late 60s) they were o/k,nothing special.
after the local dealer sold out his initial shipment they dropped the line,
i have never any wilder products or info anywhere
pbassplayer
Peasant

Postby doguitar on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:08 pm

Greetings from Wyoming USA.
Concerning Wilder Amps: They were great solid state amps made in Chicago in the late 60's by Wilder Engineering.
I grew up in Chicago and was in a high school rock band during that time.
The other guitar player in the band had a "Wilder 2+2" guitar amp. It was a 2 -12" column set up with a separate head unit that housed the pre-amp controls. The main amplifier was in the speaker cabinet. I remember this amp as sounding fantastic. At the time I was playing a Vox Berkley III (Thomas) solid state and the Wilder was by far the better amp. It had enormous range with zero distortion. If I could find one today I would not hesitate to snatch it up.
I refuse to join a club that would have me as a member.
doguitar
Peasant

Postby BBbats on Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:10 pm

These amps were actually pretty popular in my hometown of Norristown,PA.(not too far from Philadelphia)
A local music store called McCoy's carried them. Many local Norristown bands used the afore mentioned Wilder 2 + 2.It was a seperate pre amp with reverb & tremolo and a column with two twelves and a solid state power amp that I think(I could be wrong) was rated at 60 watts RMS in the column.I think the idea was to add more columns as you needed more power.A buddy of mine had the 2 + 2 with two columns and had no problem keeping up with his lead guitarists 100 watt Marshall stack.They were actually pretty warm sounding,like a clean Sunn or Fender Dual Showman,and one of the first solid state amps without that brittle solid state sound.They didn"t break up like a tube Fender or Marshall but they did sound tubey & when you cranked them they didn't clip as nasty as your average SS amp of the era.That's if you could take the volume they generated if you tried to make them clip! These puppies were loud!
I used a bass version (I'm a bass player) of the 2 +2 about mid 1984.My Wilder rig had two large columns(approx.4 ft.high) that had two 15 inch speakers each & a !50 watt (again I could be wrong about that.It had to be at least 100 watts.It sounded a lot louder) SS power amp in each column.It had a seperate preamp without the reverb & tremolo.I got this rig 2nd hand in the used section of Cintioli's music in Northeast Philly for $250 complete. By that time(late 1983) nobody knew or cared about Wilder amps.It sounded great! I wasn't going through the PA then & it more then plenty loud enough! It actually got stolen from a gig at the Ground Round in King of Prussia Pa where I left it overnight.I miss that rig!
BBbats
Peasant

Postby sunndemon on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:06 am

check this out(probably won't be up for long): http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ms ... 56853.html
sunndemon
Page

Postby Beau2883 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:38 pm

I've been trying to find info on the wilder 2+2 stack amp with the head
Funny as you post an ad from Los Angeles craigslist that's the amp I picked up I went at
11pm last night to get it knowing nothing about it other than it looks amazing
And to my surprise sounds amazing
Can anyone tell me anything else about this amp ?
How rare are they?
How much are they worth? I traded a 200 danelectro for it
How sought after are they?
Is a stack coloumn 2 12 Inc speakers heavy as hell
With a detachable head unit though the power amp is in the cab
The speaker cable is this 6 or so prong style
It has two channels and a reverb and tremolo knobs
A switch that goes from bright to mellow
Each channel has two inputs one bright one low
And a input for a foot pedal
Way cool looking and when turned all the way up I feel I will easily
Be able to jam with/over a drummer an has a great fuzz sound when cranked
With great cleans when the volume is around 5-6
Any info would be greatly appreciated as I've been searching for hours and not
Finding much at all
Thanks a ton
Beau beau2883@hotmail.com
Beau2883
Peasant

Postby MontyZuma on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:47 pm

Having played in bands back in the '60's and '70's in the Chicago area, I am quite familar with Wilder amps, which, as others mentioned in this forum, was a Chicago-based manufacturer. I used the Wilder 2+2 guitar amp quite a bit although I did not own one, and also knew other guitarists who used them as well. The amp, imo, was pretty good sounding for being a solid state head, although not better than a good tube amp. From a price standpoint too, Wilder was reasonable amd if you ever opened up a cabinet, you would see these were well-made- 3/4" plywood used, attached with glue and wood screws. What was unique about Wilder's design (at least for the series I used) was the separation of the pre-amp section - which was placed in a separate head unit from the power amp section - which was tucked in one of the speaker bottoms. The other speaker bottom was a standard / passive design. You would use this specially made heavy, dual cable-with 6-pin polarized cinch block connectors to attach the head to the power bottom. My bass-playing buddy, who owned / absolutely preferred Wilder amps over just about anythng else, told me the design was to prevent the head / bottom from getting stolen since it was useless without that special cable that connected the two. He (the bass player) bought the Wilder 150 with two speaker cabinets, each with two 15" speakers. He passed away some years back and I inherited the power speaker bottom - which I subsequently gutted the power amp section. I have yet to determine the ohms of these speakers. I can see these were wired in series though. If anyone in this forum has any information on these speakers, I 'd appreciate responses. Thanks to all who have posted on ths topic - it brings back some great memories!
MontyZuma
Peasant

Postby doguitar on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:38 pm

OK, I dug up an old pic.
The bass player is playing a Harmony Bass with a Silvertone amp, The middle guitarist is playing a Gibson ES 125 with a WILDER 2+2 and I had a Gibson SG guitar and Vox Berkley III perched on a 2-15 Soundtronics speaker cab.. Drummer playing Ludwigs right from the factory down the street circa 1969, Chicago's Bucktown neighborhood. The Silvertone was the only tube amp we had.
Now I have flashbacks!!!!
I refuse to join a club that would have me as a member.
doguitar
Peasant

Postby ROCKIN 4 EVER on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:31 am

I ran across this site while searching for any fellow rockers that may still have some Wilder Engineering gear. This was a popular midwest brand that was made in Chicago (my home town) from the late 60's until 1971 when they shut down. Back in the 70's my entire band had Wilder gear and it was some great stuff. Not to go into all the details, but suffice to say that I still have my 1970 Wilder 2+2 amp and its in near perfect condition. The style of these amps had a simple 2 channel head and 2 mini-columns with 2-12" speakers in each. These amps really cranked.

Our band got all our Wilder gear at a music shop called "The Gallery" in the north suburbs of Chicago. They were closing out all the Wilder line in 1971 and we wound up buying 2 of the 2+2 rigs for our 2 guitar players, a bass amp with a 15" speaker cab, keyboard amp and speaker, and the popular 6 channel PA set-up with 2 - 6 foot high columns holding 4 - 12" speakers each. We added a pair of Altec horns to top off those columns and rocked for several years around the Chicago area. The PA was similar to the old Shure Vocalmaster set-up that was popular back in the day.

I'll get a pix of my rig and post it later (got to figure out how to get the size down to the max meg this site allows). Hoping I can find some others that still have some Wilder gear like me.
ROCKIN 4 EVER
Peasant

Postby 83glt on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:05 pm

Zombie Thread here.

I picked up a Wilder 2+2 guitar amplifier back in 2012. I love it. A very unique tone and interesting amp for sure. Interesting story - I picked it up off Craigslist from a seller who lived on the Jersey Shore. His house was literally 100 yards from the beach and he had the Wilder amp and all of his other gear in the basement. This was September 2012. Can you guess where this is going? I never did follow up with the guy, but he was right along the stretch of beach that got washed out by Sandy. Given this amp and all his gear had been below grade, I can't imagine that it wouldn't have been totally destroyed had I not picked it up. So at least the Wilder amp was saved.

Anyway, all of that is to say - does anyone happen to have a schematic for these amps? I read somewhere on line a few years ago (can't find that site now) that germanium transistors were used and affected the tone. The amp has been worked on and some components replaced. It sounds great, though there is a slight hum that I'd like to track down the source of. A schematic would be very helpful. Shot in the dark here, but hope someone can help.
83glt
Peasant

Next

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers