Traynor YGL-3A

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Traynor YGL-3A

Postby traynor_garnet on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:16 pm

Just got a Traynor YGL-3A head (MACH III). These are not as common as the combos.

Known as "a twin on steroids" this pushes 4 EL 34s, uses transformers the size of your head, has reverb, tremolo, and a master.

Mine doesn't have any grill cloth, handle, or logo (argh) and someone removed two knobs and the one channel's bright switch (why?). But the amp seems to work quite well. Oh yeah, it came loaded with 4 Mullard EL 34s!

Not sure if I will keep it because I simply don' t need another amp and we are moving too. I've also been told these can used as great bass amps. May be open to interesting trade offers, but for now I will just enjoy it for awhile.

TG
traynor_garnet
Squire

Postby traynor_garnet on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:44 pm

Does anyone know which preamp tubes do what? There are two 12ax7s at the "front" of the chassis, and a couple at the back. I know the EL 84 is driving the reverb, but which tube is the reverb recovery?

TG
traynor_garnet
Squire

Postby PeterS on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:43 pm

IIRC, there are actually THREE tubes up front, one is hiding behind a transformer.

Across the back row left to right you have the 4 power tubes, then the PI. Next is the EL84 that drives the reverb, then the reverb recovery.

The one up front that is hidden is for the tremolo, and the two that you can see each have the first two stages for the 2 channels.

Total of 10 tubes.

I have one of these that I bought in about 1980; it had all the original Phillips-branded Mullards. It was my one and only gigging amp up til about 1992. My super-sophisticated gigging rig through the 80s consisted of the YGL-3A, a homemade 2x12 cabinet, a telecaster, and an Electroharmonix LPB-2 to boost for solos.
Never a breakdown, didn't change the tubes til about 1996. Only used it intermittently since then because it's so heavy.

Works fine for bass too, due to the huge transformers.
PeterS
King

Postby traynor_garnet on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:27 pm

PeterS wrote:IIRC, there are actually THREE tubes up front, one is hiding behind a transformer.

Across the back row left to right you have the 4 power tubes, then the PI. Next is the EL84 that drives the reverb, then the reverb recovery.

The one up front that is hidden is for the tremolo, and the two that you can see each have the first two stages for the 2 channels.

Total of 10 tubes.

Right you are! The third "front" 12ax7 was lurking behind the power tube's fan. I replaced the reverb recovery's 12ax7 with a 12au7; tames the reverb and gives more play on the dial. Thanks for the info.

This is a pretty cool amp! Wish I could crank it up in my apartment and really hear it. Of course, I would probably blow my poor old 12" speaker if I did that . . .

TG
traynor_garnet
Squire

Postby racetruck1 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:45 am

I have a circa 76 Mark III combo with 6CA7's in it. Really great amp but a little clean, anybody have any sugestions for a good pedel to put in front of it for a little Blues distortion?

Cranked up it does the Marshall thing really well but this B*****D is reallly LOUD! Almost as loud as it is HEAVY! :twisted:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

It's one louder,innit?
racetruck1
Court Jester

Postby Roy Boltz on Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:29 am

racetruck1 wrote:I have a circa 76 Mark III combo with 6CA7's in it. Really great amp but a little clean, anybody have any sugestions for a good pedel to put in front of it for a little Blues distortion?

Cranked up it does the Marshall thing really well but this B*****D is reallly LOUD! Almost as loud as it is HEAVY! :twisted:

I find the MkIII takes pedal quite well, a tube screamer sounds great into those.
Roy Boltz
King

Postby PeterS on Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:56 am

Yes, you can crank up the bass to compensate for the bass cut in the Tube Screamer.
PeterS
King

Re: Traynor YGL-3A

Postby PeterS on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:45 am

Well, sad day, I sold my YGL3A, which was my first Big Amp. No pressing need for the money (which will of course just evaporate). But the fatal moment came last summer, I was going to use it for a couple of outdoor gigs and changed my mind due to its vast weight. Feel like I have too much stuff lying around...
Anyway, gave it a good test run to make sure everything works pre-sale, by the beard of kringle, what an awesomely loud and clean noise it makes. :shock:
PeterS
King

Postby Anticpunk on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:29 am

I did a clean-up job on one of these a few months ago. That built in fan was pretty cool. The way the top comes off of the cabinet for service was odd but useful. Very loud, quite heavy and wish I owned one!

Have the schematic if anybody is missing it from their amp, not sure if its online anywhere.

-Jay
Anticpunk
Peasant

Postby PeterS on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:41 pm

Funny thing is a coupla days later I got a Reverb Master in for repair, and it's nearly identical except 2 power tubes instead of 4, and only one channel. That's the amp I should have had all these years, it's lighter and fits on a smaller cabinet. Fairly rare beast.
PeterS
King

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers