sears solid state 200 xl.

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

sears solid state 200 xl.

Postby tipptaz on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:47 am

i I have a Sears solid state 200 XL amp & cabinet. The cabinet has 6- 8 or 10" speakers in it. the Model number is 1425. It has 2 channels,plus a reverb,tremolo,depth and speed knobs. The channel's has knobs,not faders. I'll try to get pics on here later of it. Does anyone know where i can get more info on this at? like when it was made. It doesn't have Silvertone on it anywhere. On the back of the head it says Sears Robuck and Co. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
tipptaz
Peasant

Re: sears solid state 200 xl.

Postby Crumly123 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:19 am

I just came into possession of this very amp. Head is in good shape, the grill cloth on the cab is ripped in a few places and should be replaced, provided I can find something that comes close to the original pea green/beige/metal. So far, no luck in that category. The ported cab has 6 10 inch Jensens, all of which work. Has to be the ugliest factory tolex ever, they call it olive green, I call it Army surplus reject. According to Silvertoneworld.com this was NOT made by Dano, but they don't say who did make it. I could find nothing inside the head to help identify the manufacturer. The head is labeled "Sears", it does not say Silvertone anywhere. The cab is totally devoid of any info.

I cleaned the pots and most everything works as far as I can tell -- I'm not sure what it's supposed to do! The tremelo and reverb tank work to a certain degree, but only on channel 2. I'm not sure if that's by design or not. The footswitch works to enable/disable both functions. Bass and treble pots have some effect on both channels, not a whole lot. According to a few vintage amp catalogs they agree that the amp is rated at 200 watts. I'd love to know what the total cabinet ohm rating is. I could figure it out from the wiring, but I'd have to know the ohms of the speakers to start with, and they're not labeled. The 1/4 output from the head is simply marked "Speakers." Does anyone know of a way to determine impedance in either the speakers, the cab, or the output from the head??

I've put my GK, Fender, and Peavey heads thru the cab and it sounds great, given the 10 inch speakers. The Sears head is incredibly loud as well, just not a lot of "depth" or "tone" as a bass amp, but tons of sheer volume. It would be a great guitar amp behind a good effects pedal board.

I'm intrigued by this rig, it's my first Sears anything. I'd like to gussy her up in a new party dress and show her off, but more than anything I'd like to be able to speak intelligently about it. Any help in any of the issues stated above would be greatly apprciated.

JAC
Crumly123
Peasant

Postby dannyd488 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:11 pm

hey guys! i have this very same amp and head i was laughing so hard at the details you provided about the color and "speaker" output....im like yup this is deff it lol. guess were the only 3 people in the world that have this thing lol ok so anyway....

How did you realize they were jensons?
did you ever figure out what ohm to run the cab at?

I really wanna try using this i really like the sound i get from 10's and to have 6 vintage ones would be pretty cool.

THx!
dannyd488
Peasant

Postby Crumly123 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:30 pm

I took one of the speakers out of the cab and it's clearly labeled Jensen. A little more digging and it turns out they are rather desirable. vintage model, C10Q, rated at 8 ohms. http://www.jensentone.com/vintage_ceramic Near as I can figure by the way the cab is wired (combination of series/parallel) the total impedance is 8 ohm. I'm sure there's an electronics geek/bench guru out there that could describe to us know-nothings how to determine ohm ratings on unmarked equipment, but it appears they never read these postings, or couldn't be bothered to clue us in...

I found this site helpful in understanding speaker configurations. http://www.prestonelectronics.com/audio/Impedance.htm

JAC
Crumly123
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:15 pm

a) i am not a geek nor a guru :mrgreen:

if you have a meter set it to the lowest ohms level and measure the resistance of the speaker

resistance and impedance are not the same, but are kinda the same and the difference it not really important in this discussion

if you measure around 5 to 7 ohms, then it's an 8 ohm impedance. if you measure about 12 to 15 then it's a 16, etc

again, not a geek and i'd love to see a couple pictures of your amp as WAY back in the day I had a solid state Kenmore and was just wondering if it looked about the same. mine was a bass amp and was eventually sold to a bass player.

did i mention i am NOT a geek :roll:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Papa Dog on Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:08 pm

as far as I know there is no way to wire 6x8ohm speakers to run @8 ohms
if you run them in 3 parallel pairs @16 ohms (2 in series) the impedence would be ca. 5.333 ohms, close enough to call it 6 ohms, so it should run either on 4 or 8.
running 3 series pairs @ 4 ohms (2 in parallel) would give you 12 ohms and the closest "standard" is 16 ohms (for tube amps), but it is as far from 8 ohms as it is from 16 ohms.

I once had a Sunn 6x12 that was rated @ 6 ohms...4 ohm speakers...3 pairs each wired in parallel (2 ohms per pair) and the 3 pairs wired in series (3x2ohms) for a 6 ohm load...worked ok for solid state, but was a problem for a tube amp...
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--"
Papa Dog
Knight

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers