Can anyone ID these 6L6's please?

How can you get a great tone without a good understanding of what makes your amp tick? — EL34, EL84, 6L6, KT66, KT88, 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, EF86, Output Transformers, Power Transformers, Capacitors, Resistors and everything else that it takes to make a tube amp sing!

Can anyone ID these 6L6's please?

Postby KKJale on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:26 pm

I just purchased some KT66's in the UK and the kind seller threw in two anonymous 6L6's for free. Here's one of them... if anyone can help narrow down the origin, I'd be very grateful...

KKJale
Peasant

Re: Can anyone ID these 6L6's please?

Postby WillyOMinnieSnowTa on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi,

Looks to be a 6L6G, but I cannot tell for sure without dimensions. Could be a 6L6G or 6L6GA depending on height x width.

I have a large collection of 6L6G and 6L6GA. Most are smoked glass, so it is hard to see internal structures. It looks similar to an unusual 6L6G that I have with a ceramic base. What is similar is yours looks to have ceramic stabilizers on the mica and an unusual getter shape. I will take a look for the ceramic base one and check the details.

No writing on glass or base at all? You guys probably know this, but by exhaling on the tube, creating a little fog you can sometimes make out writing that is otherwise invisible. Also true sometimes with a black light.

Willy O
WillyOMinnieSnowTa
Peasant

Re: Can anyone ID these 6L6's please?

Postby KKJale on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:11 pm

Thanks for the help, much appreciated - yes, one os faintly marked 6L6G. Guess I may never know the origin, but they sound pretty good.
KKJale
Peasant

Return to Tubes, Transformers and Components