Audley Freed and Cry of Love

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Postby Cy on Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:33 pm

After reading this post yesterday, I put on Brother last night...I like the raw power in Audley's tone. Good player, I would like to see him someday.
Last edited by Cy on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cy
Baron

Postby 2 guest(s) on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:56 pm

I've always looked for Diamonds and Debris in the used record stores around here and have never found it...anyone know where I can get a copy of it?
2 guest(s)
Squire

Postby StevenEsqThree on Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:54 pm

Actually, Jeff Cease was the guy on the first record. I heard/read there were interpersonal problems within the band when recording, and so when it came time for recording the solo for "Hard To Handle", Brendan O'Brien was elected to do it. Don't know about the other songs.

Marc Ford didn't come in 'til The Southern Harmony record.

Rev: ISC (I stand corrected!) Thanks for keeping me honest!
StevenEsqThree
Knight

Postby Tonemaster on Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:56 pm

odgeuk wrote:
steve ouimette wrote:The singer in our band, Robert Mason, did the 2nd Cry of Love record and toured with Audley during that era. I know he still talks with Audley so I'll ask Robert tomorrow if he has any information that would help out. Audley is an amazing guitarist and has some of my favorite tones on "Diamonds and Debris". Great record.

Steve

Cheers Steve, it'd be great if Robert checked into the site. Diamonds and Debris is a stonker and Audley really excercises his chops and tones on that record. In many ways it is much more musically interesting than the first album but the raw tones and the live sound of the band on the first record will always make it my favourite. Robert Mason did a great job on Diamonds and Debris, shame he wasn't able to contribute to the writing on that album (I think it was ALL done by Audley?). I hear he's a mean guitar player himself?

Thanks all for info so far everyone. I have heard reference to Audley using Dr Z amps, amongst others. Seems he changes his kit pretty regularly. During the Cry of Love days he was also seen using a Fender Tonemaster.

I really must try an amp other than a Marshall one day........ :P

I`ve heard nothing but good things about the Tonemaster. Most Marshall guys could live with one I think. I thought I heard that they are similar to the Vibroking, but I could be mistaken. The VK can be a loud mutha tho.

T.
Tonemaster

Postby VikingOne on Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:55 am

steve ouimette wrote:The singer in our band, Robert Mason, did the 2nd Cry of Love record and toured with Audley during that era. I know he still talks with Audley so I'll ask Robert tomorrow if he has any information that would help out. Audley is an amazing guitarist and has some of my favorite tones on "Diamonds and Debris". Great record.

Steve

Dude, thats cool. Is any of your material available?
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid"
VikingOne
Baron

Audley Freed and Cry of Love

Postby bloozeman2002 on Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:40 pm

Diamonds And Debris and Brother are in my cd player in my truck quite a bit. I NEVER leave home without them. KICKIN STUFF!!
bloozeman2002
Knight

Postby odgeuk on Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:32 pm

VikingOne wrote:Dude, thats cool. Is any of your material available?

I think you'll find that here:

http://www.aliverocks.com/
Marshall '73 JMP 1987 'Lead' Head
Marshall 1960A loaded with G12C 'Greenbacks'
Peavey Classic 2x12 Combo
Fender Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster (with SD '59 in Bridge)
Gibson (by Orville) Les Paul Custom
odgeuk
Page

Postby steve ouimette on Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:01 am

Thanks for posting the link to our site odgeuk! We're planning to do a full blown DVD and CD in January from a combined set of shows in Phoenix (Marquee Theater), Tucson (City Limits) and Scottsdale (Martini Ranch). It should be a lot of fun...

As for Audley's gear, I talked with Robert today and he mentioned that for the recording (Robert) wasn't really paying attention to the amps. But, for the live shows Audley played his Bogner, '74 Marshall, a Naylor and sometimes Robert's Matchless Clubman (I've played the Clubman and it's fantastic). The guitar was mainly Audley's Warmoth Strat and the '55 LP Jr. and Goldtop he owns. I guess he played a variety of gear depending on the venue and his mood. Pretty much anything he plays through turns to gold 8)

Steve
steve ouimette
Guitar Hero

Postby VikingOne on Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:31 am

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find any music on it tho. :(
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid"
VikingOne
Baron

Postby steve ouimette on Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:57 am

If you click on the ALIVE! TV logo there is a 6-minute promo vid with some of the songs we play. Also, we're on myspace at http://www.myspace.com/alive70s There are 4 songs there.
steve ouimette
Guitar Hero

Postby odgeuk on Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:46 am

steve ouimette wrote: The guitar was mainly Audley's Warmoth Strat and the '55 LP Jr. and Goldtop he owns.

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for asking Robert that, really appreciate it. Just one thing though. I've nearly got a pretty complete inventory of Audleys gear through the years noe, but the one piece of kit that's eluded me with any detail is Audley's Warmoth Strat that he recorded Brother with. I'm told it's light blue, rosewood fingerboard, probably had a hard tail bridge, a left handed neck, and some sort of Humbucker in the bridge. I don't know any more than that, not even the colour of the scratchplate. Is this the Warmoth you mean? Or is it a Red one that I've seen Audley using on some live footage of Cry of Love with Robert?

If you could find out, I'd be extremely grateful!! 8)

Rock on!
odgeuk
Page

Postby steve ouimette on Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:30 am

Hi odgeuk,

Robert never mentioned the blue Warmoth and I've only seen the red one in the footage. There was a bass-boat blue (blue sparkle like in a fiberglass boat) that he's talked about...perhaps that's the one you are talking about. If I recall, Audley talked a good deal about his gear in an article on the Gibson website, but now that I'm looking at it there is no mention of that Warmoth.

If I can find out more I'll let you know.

Steve
steve ouimette
Guitar Hero

Postby odgeuk on Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:47 am

Cool! The bass-boat guitar was a Fender Holoflake finsih Strat with a Seymour Duncan Jb Jr in the bridge. I beleive that Audley used this just for touring on the first album.

The very-light blue Warmoth that I beleive to have been used on 'Brother', apparently played like a dream and was Audley's first guitar of choice. Perhaps he didn't like to take it on tour?

The Red strat (also with a mini-humbucker in the bridge) is pictured on the Diamonds and Debris inner sleeve. I've been meaning to find out a little more about this guitar too.

:D
odgeuk
Page

Re: Audley Freed and Cry of Love

Postby JTM100 on Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:58 pm

odgeuk wrote:Hi All,

I'm new to the board but wanted to pop in and tell any of you, who might be interested, that I'm running a little fansite to Audley Freed and the sadly defunct Cry of Love. www.cryoflove.co.uk

At the moment, I'm trying to establish the gear that Audley used during the recording of 'Brother', and later I'll be looking into what he uses more recently. Seen quite a few references to Audley on the site and I notice that Alvin Youngblood Hart posts here quite a lot.

Anyway, I've established from producer John Custer and Tour manager Bob Davies, that Audley pretty much used a Silver Jubilee and old JMP Superlead with a Vox Wah and a Warmoth self-built guitar that most likely was a hard-tail with a JB Jr type mini-humbucker in the bridge. I understand it was light-blue.

Later, for Cry of Love's second album Audley was using Bognor heads, Matchless cabs and a Deja-Vibe among other bits and pieces. And he was also seen sporting a Les Paul Goldtop.

In the Crowes, he seemed to be using the Les Paul a lot but in the last few years he rarely seems to be seen without his E-335, Creme-coloured SG and a Blonde Telecaster.

If any of you know anything about Audley's gear and guitars then it's be great to hear from you. Then I can complete a nice section for the site.

Audley is a tremendous player and his guitar work in Cry of Love some of my favourite Guitar moments of all time. But being in the UK makes sightings of this severely-underated creature rare indeed!!

I haven't heard the AVH - Motivational Speaker album yet (or any Job Cain for that matter), I understand Audley lends his hand to a track or two? As well as Robert Kearns?

Well, Keep rockin' and if you're a fan of Mr Freed, do pop in to the forum and say hello!

www.cryoflove.co.uk

Cheers! 8)

Brother is a great album. However what really impressed me about that record more than anything was the singer. He was like Paul Rodgers on steroids. Why did he leave?
JTM100
Knight

Re: Audley Freed and Cry of Love

Postby ayh on Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:56 am

odgeuk wrote:I haven't heard the AVH - Motivational Speaker album yet (or any Job Cain for that matter), I understand Audley lends his hand to a track or two? As well as Robert Kearns?

Well,WTF are ya waitin on mate,Christmas?
Freed plays slide on track 1,
Some cool deja vibe fills on track 3.Actually Track 3 ,Stomp Dance,is the ONLY studio recording of JoB Cain ,ever.Freed played the Strat and I,the Les Paul.Robert Kearns showed up to play bass on there.In fact the guitars ,bass,drums & COWBELL are all live take1 on that track
Audley does a killer solo on In My Time Of Dying,track 4,which was also pretty much live.Freed playing that TV SG and I the slide on the Dano

Robert Kearns is playin bass for a Nashville flavored dude called Chris Cagle these days
ayh
Motivational Speaker

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Lounge