Decline of the Music biz on Frontline last night

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Re: Decline of the Music biz on Frontline last night

Postby madjackhatter on Sat May 29, 2004 12:58 am

Quote:

The music industry has made pushing image and complete crap without substance into an art form

John Paul Jones from a radio interview
Recordings from Kerosene Highway and Madjackhatter here...
https://soundcloud.com/kerosene-highway
madjackhatter
Mad Baron

Postby Tube Tramp on Sat May 29, 2004 1:24 am

drummer walks into grocery store looks at clerk sez got any grapes? clerk sez no drummer walks out of grocery store comes back in and asks clerk again got any grapes? clerk sez no we dont get lost ringo.drummer walks out of store 28 seconds later he walks back in and asks clerk got any grapes>? clerk sez no bozo and if you dont get outta here im going to nail your feet to the floor.drummer walks out within 13 seconds he returns and asks clerk >got any nails clerk replies no .good sez drummer got any grapes?
Tube Tramp
King

Postby outlier on Sat May 29, 2004 3:11 am

Coupla wannabe Mafioso types decide that the quickest way to make money in the world of organized crime is just that - making money.

So they rig up a print shop and start pumping out eighteen-dollar bills. Of course, once they've compiled their vast counterfeit fortune in $18 bills, they decide to start using them. But where? Who could be taken in by an $18 bill???

Naturally, the decide the best place to start using these is in a drum shop, so one of the would-be made mobsters strolls into a drum shop. After a while the clerk glances up from his upside-down copy of "Modern Drummer" and asks, "Can I help you?"

"Oh, just looking around, but uh, wondering if you could change this bill for me?"

The small-time hood hands an $18 dollar bill to the clerk, who takes it in his hands, frowns, flips it over and finally responds, "Sure, I can change it!"

"You can?"

"Yeah, what would you like, three sixes or two nines?"
outlier
Baron

Postby 71Smallbox on Sat May 29, 2004 4:44 am

"Yeah, what would you like, three sixes or two nines?"
Heh!, Drummers, why do 9 out of 10 have to be imbeciles?(not you OD, you can type!!)

Anyway, who decided what bands/performers would be on there anyway? They only chose to spotlight 2 performers/bands and how relevent were they anyway? Velvet Revolver(G-n-R version 2.0 meets STP, marketing anyone?) and Sara(h?) Hudson( Alanis meets some other psuedo-deep pop female crooner). YUK
71Smallbox
Squire

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Sat May 29, 2004 10:15 am

Don't make me kill again. I have nearly forty years experience nailing guitar plowers with a well-aimed 5B drumstick.
Been there,been hit with that! :D
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby Tube Tramp on Sat May 29, 2004 2:08 pm

one night years ago my present percussionist had taken all he could from me and flung a pair of the war clubs he uses in my directon they stuck into the celing of the room we were playin in that tile cottage cheese crap.i assured him if they would have hit me he would have had to go to a proctoligist to have them removed .no further incidents .but i must tell you ive played with some guys that were so big and tough i had to pass on all the drummer jokes.ron wikso is built like a viking beserker so you dont wanna piss him off .even my guy who is only 140 is no fun to tangle with as he is half japenese and we know there code of surrender even in the case of utter defeat .he will fight a war of attrition.bass players to there credit usually try to break up the bickering.with pictures of there overwieght girlfriends,.lol.tt
Tube Tramp
King

Postby jcs on Sat May 29, 2004 4:56 pm

years ago a blues band from chicago played a local club in kc..

i went up closer to look at some gear at the break and the drummer showed me his old ludwig drums...

well the guy talked up a storm about drums and the like,and i noticed he covered his mouth when he talked...

so the guy says "i spit a lot when i talk,so i cover my mouth"!!

then he goes on to say "the other thing is we chicago bluesmen carry pieces" and he proceeds to show me a revolver,a .38 no less!!

he says all the bluesmen in the 50s-60s were packing guns everywhere!!

i says "okay bud you thirsty i am buying,you can set that heater down now"!

i think the band was eddie shaw and the wolfgang but its been 20 years since that incident(btw,he was a great drummer to say the least)...
jcs
King

Postby pckpat on Sun May 30, 2004 5:10 pm

good tale jcs- that's a coincidence, i was having a drink with eddie shaw years ago before he went on in a local blues bar-coupla cougars came up behind us and tried to engage him in a conversation-they ended up scrapping right behind us and eddie never turned around or blinked, just carried on telling his story to me :cool:
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby ledogboy on Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:53 am

On another note, do any of you read "Tape Op" magazine? Excellent article in there by an old timer (Sears; recording engineer/musician) that talks about the sad/sloppy state of recording engineering and producing.
Excellent piece. I found Walter Sear's dedication to excellence absolutely inspiring. Tape Op is always a great read, and you can't beat the price! ;)
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
- Hunter S. Thompson
ledogboy
Certified

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Lounge