Opening Pandora’s Box?_Chuck Mason_ PDX 80’s-90’s Importer

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Re: Opening Pandora’s Box?_Chuck Mason_ PDX 80’s-90’s Importer

Postby bobster on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:40 pm

hi valvelust ,
re the label on the back of the amp. its from 'carlisle' which is just over the border into england and not far from south scotland where myself and this guy stay. it could well be an amp he would have snagged in times gone by as he did scour most of the mainland for these things.
the guy is not a dealer or anything but i found him to be straight with me. he wasnt cheap but didnt rob me either and i owe him much for educating me on vintage amps and also helping me steer clear of certain well known [ but not to me at the time ] unscrupulous dealers on this island...
cheers - bob
beelzebub.....be boppa loobub
bobster
Knight

Postby tommie on Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:15 am

bobster wrote:this is interesting.
i live in scotland and know an american guy with the second name of mason who has lived here for many years.
i knew him in the mid to late 90's and he helped me with locating some real old school valves / speakers / amps etc.
he had an amazing array of old amps and paraphernalia mostly bought before things got silly and i recall him talking about a family member back in the states that he would send stuff to from time to time. i never knew the guy died thats a shame.
im only on this forum since 2003/4 but at times i have wondered if the guy he talked about was our very own vic who also has second name of mason! looks like that was blind alley tho...
b

Small world Bob, I know this guy a little too. I admired his getting into the market before the curve, and that fact he was straight up, none of the nonsense from the North of England.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
tommie
Baron

Postby bobster on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:31 pm

small world indeed tommie!
i remember he also seemed to work closely with a local tech called john philips who used to give generously of his time and info on 'the gear page '......good guys to have around-
b
beelzebub.....be boppa loobub
bobster
Knight

Re: Opening Pandora’s Box?_Chuck Mason_ PDX 80’s-90’s Import

Postby 1972marshall on Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:51 pm

Hi- very late to this topic but I knew Chuck quite well in the 1980s and I am very sorry to hear of his death. He rebuilt and moded a 1973 and 1972 100 Marshall for me, and I got a very nice 4-12 bottom cabinet with 30 watt greenbacks. I traded the 73 a while a ago but I still have the 72 and it absolutely brilliant- I have had many offers to sell it but it is really one of a kind and he did a great job rebuilding it. I still have the 4-12 as well. Chuck was a character- he wouldn't work on my amps until he had a very long interview with me, and he took pity on me as I was a working musician looking for a great tone. I saw him mentioned in a guitar player magazine in the 80s where they talked about the best guys who did mods - he was number 10 if I am correct- looked him up and called him and he was awesome. I stayed with him for a week once in the late 80s when he was working on my 1972- his house was as described- stacked with amps of every vintage and he did have the storage shed as well. I remember his bathroom even had amps stacked to the roof. His garage was also full of lawn mowers. His wife was a lovely woman and he was a very generous guy- a really nice guy with a great heart. Very sorry to hear about his death.
1972marshall
Peasant

Postby 67SIMS on Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:48 pm

I was a very good friend of Chuck Mason...it all started back in 1986 when i was in a band called Pariah. I was really into Eddy van halen, jeff beck, randy rhoads
and was looking to have my marshall worked on. They had all these great amp guys in this article and and in the very back of a guitar player magazine, there was
a small ad for chuck mason the earl of sound and all it said was if you want a sound all your own call this guy. over the years i got multiple amps from him and
we would talk for hours and hours on the phone and he knew more about amps, marshalls, tubes than anyone i knew. he really was brilliant. When we signed to geffen,
We worked together to get the best guitar sounds we could and the amps where nothing short of amazing. I could go on and on....I've known alot of guys that
know alot about amps...but chuck was unique. He really was the earl of sound. I ended up seeing him in portland when i played there with the butthole surfers
sometime around 1996........then all the sudden i just never heard from him again and could never find him or what happen so im truly sad to hear he passed away.
I really loved him. I thought maybe something like that happened. So thank you for writing this thread and talking about Chuck.
k
67SIMS
Peasant

Postby buick63333 on Fri May 19, 2017 11:55 pm

I was wondering what happened to Chuck Mason and I found this post.
I must have purchased five or six Marshall 50 watt amps from The Earl of Sound, from about 1988 to 1994.
All the amps were great, reasonably priced, and in original condition, etc. Chuck was definitely the
first guy I knew of that really had the differences between Marshall amp years down, sonically. I have
letters that were shipped with each amp, detailing the circuit, what it had to do with the sound
of the amp, what that year of plexi had that another year didn't. Whether or not the guy had an electrical
background or not, he did have knowledge of the amps, and how that would translate to sound.
The last dealings that I had with him were around 1993-4, where things must have gone south,
because there were people who had paid in full for amps, and the amps were never shipped. I was one
of those people. I did finally get the amp after a couple of years, though the back was not original.
To now find out through this post that there was more going on, it makes total sense.
buick63333
Peasant

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Lounge