Dirty Boy Sound Demos

Discuss the Mojave AmpWorks product line.

Dirty Boy Sound Demos

Postby plexi on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:02 am

Some of you might know that were getting ready to roll out the new model Dirty Boy amp. I expect to have the website info up and running inside of the next two weeks. That will be the official launch date of the product. In the mean time I am posting these sound demos along with a front and back photo for anyone to check out if interested. Here are some specifics on the amp for those who must know.
Variable power output 0-100 watts
Four EL34s
Four 12AX7s
two 5U4s
5 Transformers
Built in variac
Front panel user adjustable bias
Front panel user adjustable feedback
Built in switchable boost channel
49 lbs!!! Light for 5 transformer!
Street price $2995

Clean Tone using Tele
Funk Clean with Tele Rhythm & Strat Lead
Dirty Boy Gain with Variac using ES 335
Rock Song
Heavy Tone Song with Buzzy Boy Pedal

Hear are two sound demos I did myself using the Dirty Boy and getting a really FAT tone:

Black Sabbath Demo, Heavy tone

The Drive, by Victor Mason

STO by Victor Mason

There are also settings diagrams for all the clips that Blue recorded. He made notes for us so we could show you how this amp is set up and the sound for that particular track. Thanks much to Blues Saraceno for that.
plexi
Site Admin

Re: Dirty Boy Sound Demos

Postby wolfhead on Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:28 pm

That thing sounds freakin' amazing... :thumbsup:
wolfhead
Squire

Postby zaphod_phil on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:47 pm

+1 :cheers:

A quick question about the variac - does it also reduce the heater voltage, or just the B+ ?
Great tones come in small glass jars
zaphod_phil
Squire

Postby plexi on Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:25 pm

The Variac does not alter the heaters. They are all kept constant. Remember, this has 5 transformers.
plexi
Site Admin

Postby zaphod_phil on Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:52 pm

5 transformers! :shock: Kudos to you guys. You really know what you're doing there. :thumbsup:
Great tones come in small glass jars
zaphod_phil
Squire

Postby pckpat on Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:56 pm

nice playing,on both sets of clips.what kind of axes were you using victor?(oh yeah,the dirty boy sounds real nice 8) )
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby plexi on Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:04 pm

I used my Carvin SH550 on the first track called Drive. The second Track I used my Mahogany Strat that is the same guitar I used for my VH tone clips on the Peacemaker and Scorpion.
Attachments
sh550-fdv6.jpg
plexi
Site Admin

Postby Britishampfan on Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:08 pm

This is the first chance I have had to listen to the tracks in the studio through monitors and be able to crank it through the 4/15 dual horn JBL`s on the studio PA system since I have been out of town alot.

The clean sound is very nice, but for me getting a clean sound is pretty easy.

The heavy track with the Pedal is really great sounding that rhythm crunch sound really sounds nice and heavy and has a very "alive" quality I felt the hair on my head tingling. I like the lead sound it is a bit processed sounding but It kind of grew on me it seems like I`m hearing tones way before their time of becoming a standard and I`m getting new ideas on what might be possible for me.

I really liked the Drive track heavy,fat and I liked the lead tone more very natural and organic sounding track and thats what I lean toward in heavy style music.

Top shelf overdrive and distortion, I can only wonder what I could do with a old Jackson soloist with EMG`s De tuned with the deep switches on and the amp set for maximum heaviness.

Cheers Vic and nice chops.
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Postby plexi on Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:10 pm

Thanks much. That is a very fine assesment.

I am more proud of these clips now that I had some time to work with these amps for a change.

This is my latest Scorpion Demo, Hard Rock Tone

This is a milder version Scorpion Demo with a fat lead.

This is my Special Edition Plexi 45 SE Zeppelin Tone
plexi
Site Admin

Postby Britishampfan on Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:46 pm

Very nice clips that scorpion really has a nice sound.

The Zep cover just kills, I found myself cheering you on wondering if you could do it and you did, very fun. I was amazed at the level of sound quality and playing it`s not the most easy of Zep covers to nail.

Thanks for the clips that was fun. :cheers:
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Postby plexi on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:12 pm

Hey,
Thanks very much for the kudos on the clips. That Zep cover went over pretty big with a lot of guys. I got flooded with emails. Didn't think it would go over so big. It's hard getting that sound right isn't. We all work at it a lot. That's what makes us the crazy obsessed amp nut jobs we are!

Did I over state?
plexi
Site Admin

Postby Britishampfan on Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:10 pm

plexi wrote:Hey,
Thanks very much for the kudos on the clips. That Zep cover went over pretty big with a lot of guys. I got flooded with emails. Didn't think it would go over so big. It's hard getting that sound right isn't. We all work at it a lot. That's what makes us the crazy obsessed amp nut jobs we are!

Did I over state?

I don`t think you over stated, I see too many great players that pay little attention to their sound and never reach the place of sounding as great as they are playing.

New sounds and tones inspire me to create new songs and if the overall tone and crunch isn`t there I might as well watch Twins Baseball instead of laboring in the studio. :)

I know I`m probably too fussy about sound but I`ve never been asked to turn my amps down, only up, it tells me I`m on the right track. :)
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Return to Mojave AmpWorks