AC10 SRT

AC4, AC10, AC10 Twin, AC10 Reverb Twin, AC15, AC15 Twin, AC30 Twin, AC30 Super Twin, Top-Boost, Non-Top-Boost, AC50, AC100, 710, 760, 7120

AC10 SRT

Postby Blind Lemon Chitlin on Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:15 pm

Anybody here got any experience with the AC10 SRT circuit ?? I do recall a thread several years back discussing the oddities of this amp as compared to the regular AC10. Recently I have had 2 requests to build this circuit/amp. In looking at the schematics it appears that the reverb part of the circuit ( 2 x 12AU7's) may be "in" the signal path even when the reverb effect is not used. One of the potential customers was saying that he didn't want the reverb anyway and it could be left out.... I have never seen or worked on one of these rare amps.. I would also love to see some pictures of the "guts" and the chassis and the transformers, as I have read that the OP was smaller ( physically) than the normal AC10.

Also....I recall a thread where someone was talking about taking a modern accutronics spring unit of 1475 ohms input and plugging it directly up to the old, original style AC30 SRT circuit with no mods and no transformer and the reverb worked....Anyone remember this ?? Anyone tried this ?? Am I dreaming/ nuts ???

Any help would be appreciated !!

BLC
"The Little Amp Builder" who "Big Brother" V*x / K*RG thought needed to be "Policed"

"Big Brother is Watching You"
George Orwell's - 1984
Blind Lemon Chitlin
Knight

Re: AC10 SRT

Postby lion on Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:53 am

http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=111225

Very interesting amp.

If you take on building a clone please keep us posted 8)

Erik
lion
Court Jester

Postby Blind Lemon Chitlin on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:52 am

Hi Guys,

I am a little disappointed in the response to my thread here. I remember several good discussions in the past on this amp and I figured several folks would be interested in building/researching this classis amp or might have already built one. There was a member in Washington ( state) or Oregon who had one of these rare birds and sent me measurements of the head cab....many years ago. Now I realize that I am an OLD GUY. and I realise that I have been off the site for a couple of years BUT I figure that some of the other OLD GURU Amp Genuis' are still alive and reading..... Where the hell are you...?????
BLC :old:
"The Little Amp Builder" who "Big Brother" V*x / K*RG thought needed to be "Policed"

George Orwell's - 1984
Blind Lemon Chitlin
Knight

Postby Blind Lemon Chitlin on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:52 am

Hi Guys,

I am a little disappointed in the response to my thread here. I remember several good discussions in the past on this amp and I figured several folks would be interested in building/researching this classis amp or might have already built one. There was a member in Washington ( state) or Oregon who had one of these rare birds and sent me measurements of the head cab....many years ago. Now I realize that I am an OLD GUY. and I realise that I have been off the site for a couple of years BUT I figure that some of the other OLD GURU Amp Genuis' are still alive and reading..... Where the hell are you...?????
BLC :old:

George Orwell's - 1984
Blind Lemon Chitlin
Knight

Postby Aandjr on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:09 pm

I have an AC-30 STR it is a great amp. I would be interested in a side by side comparison of the AC10 SRT. I understand that a number of people love this amp. It is getting love on the Les Paul Forum and on the Doug and Pat webcast. BLC please pm me.
Aandjr
Peasant

Postby gusfinley on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:40 pm

Yes, BLC, I've noticed that it is more quiet around here in the past few years. Of course, we haven't had you, Steve Giles or Don Butler hanging out and imparting your wisdom. I think the marshall section has been even slower.

Perhaps it is because current amp manufacturers are going all digital and leaving analog and thus tubes on the backburner?

This was a lively place when Marshall and Vox started selling their handwired series of amps.

And by the way the new AC10C1, is nothing more than a push-pull AC4 with digital reverb, a disappointment in my book.
gusfinley
Knight

Postby Blind Lemon Chitlin on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:37 pm

Yes Gusfinley, I guess that "those were the days" now.....the bygone days... Many of us old guys who moved over from the old Vox Talks site were very active in building, repairing and commenting on this site ...helping others. Don Butler, Steve, Masco, the Clown guy ( can not recall his "name"... AC50, and even Mark Sampson ...wheres Johnny Savant and GlenL. ??? I miss the "old crowd"..

I have begun my research on the AC10SRT. ( Aandjr I did send a PM). It looks very doable but will take some study on the layout and the chassis presents its own problems being more "Fenderesque"... Perhaps someone can let me know where I can find a BF Deluxe Reverb style chassis, bent but with no holes punched. I have checked Weber and Mojo.

BLC :highfive:

George Orwell's - 1984
Blind Lemon Chitlin
Knight

Postby grod915 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:23 am

I like this guy's stuff- http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLANK-Brownface ... SwzgBY2AMh
I've never had him do anything custom, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
(1998)AC30 Korg RI TBX
AC30CCH
(1965?)Berkeley Tube Head & Cab
2 Berkeley SS Heads (Pending Restor.)
Buckingham Cab
Chupy ate my mullards!
grod915
Page

Postby gusfinley on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:46 pm

Blind Lemon Chitlin wrote:It looks very doable but will take some study on the layout and the chassis presents its own problems being more "Fenderesque"... Perhaps someone can let me know where I can find a BF Deluxe Reverb style chassis, bent but with no holes punched. I have checked Weber and Mojo.

BLC

It can be hard to find a good chassis for a custom-type project. This is always my biggest hindrance to building my own odd-ball amps. In the past Komboking and Dirty Dog have supplied me excellent "blank" chassis built to my spec but those days are long gone. Thanks to BLC, though, I am working on a new project that I am excited about!

I've seen a few builders on ebay, but haven't been building amps for a few years, so I can't comment on their quality.

I wish someone would build some good a good variety of blank chassis that would fit into standard amp cabinets.

Fortunately, a Blank JTM45 style chassis will work well for other future projects (Park 75 and Orange OR80).
gusfinley
Knight

Postby Blind Lemon Chitlin on Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:39 pm

I am working on a prototype now. This first BLC10SRT will be on and AC15 type chassis. Hopefully, I can have it up and running shortly. I do like the blank deluxe type chassis. Can anyone here give me the real chassis measurements of an original AC10SRT ?? This will help me decide on a fender type chassis...( deluxe, deluxe reverb, or Princeton ) type. A big Thank You goes out to Dougch for his Massive contribution to this project...

BLC

George Orwell's - 1984
Blind Lemon Chitlin
Knight

Postby louis on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:58 pm

Just fell in love with this amp because of the Doug and Pat show !

I have a 1970 2x12 solid state combo that I could use to build
this AC10 rst so I'm subscribed to this thread ! :D

There is someone who built one on Telecaster Forum with pictures here,

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/please-chi ... ld.543843/

Beautiful detailed pictures here,

http://c-nelson.com/1968-vox-ac-10t-s/
louis
Court Jester

Postby fazeka on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:19 am

The OP in that tdpri thread built a AC10 "non-SRT". Some subtle (and not so subtle) differences in the topology compared with the SRT version, no?
fazeka
Certified

Postby louis on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:34 pm

fazeka wrote:The OP in that tdpri thread built a AC10 "non-SRT". Some subtle (and not so subtle) differences in the topology compared with the SRT version, no?

Don't know exactly the differences, I'm knew
to this tech talk !!.....but will lurn skowly !..haha! :D
louis
Court Jester

Postby voxjunior on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:56 am

Has anyone ever seen the AC10 head version pictured in the 1965 King of the Beat catalog as the Berkeley? It resembles a big box AC50 head:

http://www.voxshowroom.com/us/amp/v-8b.html

Other than the trapezoid AC10 piggyback, the only other version I've seen has the head the same width as the speaker cabinet:

http://www.chambonino.com/work/vox/vox5.html
Outside the gates of Cerdes, sits the two-pronged unicorn,
Plays at relaxation time, the rhinestone flugelhorn.
voxjunior
Squire

Postby Mr. dB on Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:37 am

voxjunior wrote:Has anyone ever seen the AC10 head version pictured in the 1965 King of the Beat catalog as the Berkeley? It resembles a big box AC50 head:

http://www.voxshowroom.com/us/amp/v-8b.html

Other than the trapezoid AC10 piggyback, the only other version I've seen has the head the same width as the speaker cabinet:

http://www.chambonino.com/work/vox/vox5.html

The picture in the first link looks like they just used a shot of an AC50.

The second link is an original-style AC10 with add-on reverb, not an AC10SRT.
Mr. dB
Prince

Next

Return to Vox