SS Vox foundation or dynamic bass head

AC4, AC10, AC10 Twin, AC10 Reverb Twin, AC15, AC15 Twin, AC30 Twin, AC30 Super Twin, Top-Boost, Non-Top-Boost, AC50, AC100, 710, 760, 7120

SS Vox foundation or dynamic bass head

Postby thebugman on Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:06 pm

A solid state Vox just came up in a local auction, for a tempting BIN price. After comparing it with several pics of SS foundation and dynamic bass heads, JMI era and later, I could not find a similar one, the arrangement on the faceplate is different. No logo on the panel even. Also, the corner protectors are different, and the recessed vents too. Any ideas about this one?

thebugman
Knight

Re: SS Vox foundation or dynamic bass head

Postby OASISBLUENOSE on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 pm

I've seen loads of these type, and owned quite a few...never one like this though.

Few clues, the sockets are the JMI type, one pin corners also JMI.

Probably a 30 watter as only two top grilles, though JMI are normally flush rather than recessed.

Markings all look right, though never seen one without the top logo either Jennings Musical Industries or Vox Sound etc.

Frankly, bizarre.

Either a damn good mock up or a very early proto?

If you don't want it, I'll have it!
OASISBLUENOSE
Page

Postby Lacos on Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:03 am

A prototype or early production.The one pin corners had been abandoned in 1966. One of the earliest Vox SS amp (Conqueror) is documented in a late June 1967 Beatles recording session. Very unusual though.
Lacos
Court Jester

Postby Grog on Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:57 am

I'vw just been popuring over the photos in Jims book and whilst the layout on the front panel is different (the footswitch socket is in the wrong place and the whole escutchon isn't divided into sections) the number of controls seem to be very much like the bass amps, Dynamic, Foundation Super Foundation more than the Conquerors or Defiants. Also the two channels are labeled Normal and Bass, as on the Bass amps. As it has only the two vents then more likely the lower powered Dynamic or Foundation.
AC30 Super Twin(1963) S/N 9952N Rear Panel TB Head, Dynamic Bass (1968) #1153, AC30CCH, V212BN 1 x Alnico Blue 1 x Wharfdale, VBM1, AC4TV, Marshall JTM312, Gibson 347(1987), Les Paul Custom, US Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster, CIJ Jaguar HH.

http://www.myspace.com/fishheads2

The Colin Staples Blues Jam, Every Wednesday at The Navigation, Wilford St, Nottingham.
Grog
Baron

Postby OASISBLUENOSE on Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:03 pm

have you bought it yet?
OASISBLUENOSE
Page

Postby thebugman on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:36 pm

OASISBLUENOSE wrote:have you bought it yet?

Not yet. It's still for sale. The starting price is around the equivalent of $190, the BIN is like $385 (400 swiss francs), the 2x10 cab as seen in the pics is included. What holds me back is that I actually don't have time to go and pick it up right now. I could buy it and offer it up for sale here incase I decide I don't need it myself (already have a SS Conqueror), but then again that takes even more time that I don't have, to find a box, packaging material, pack it up, ship it. Or am I stupid not to jump on it at that price right now? I really don't know, maybe I am?

EDIT: Just bought it. Will post more pics in a few days.
thebugman
Knight

Postby Grog on Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:19 am

Congratulations on your purchase, look forward to seeing some more pictures of it. Hopefully, on closer inspection you can work out exactly what it is.
AC30 Super Twin(1963) S/N 9952N Rear Panel TB Head, Dynamic Bass (1968) #1153, AC30CCH, V212BN 1 x Alnico Blue 1 x Wharfdale, VBM1, AC4TV, Marshall JTM312, Gibson 347(1987), Les Paul Custom, US Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster, CIJ Jaguar HH.

The Colin Staples Blues Jam, Every Wednesday at The Navigation, Wilford St, Nottingham.
Grog
Baron

Postby thebugman on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:47 pm

A quick update and some pics. I went to pick up the amp this afternoon and opened it up. It does indeed seem to be a very early model, there is an inspection tag attached inside from Jan. 12. 1967. After a bit of cleaning, it looks really good now. It is working too and it's plenty loud, but the sound is not totally clean, some strange type of undertone is present, probably ghosting due to old caps and incorrect filtering. Somebody went crazy with huge caps in the power stage. Fortunately these have been installed without altering the chassis, except for two very small holes. Also, there are some additional grey caps visible in the power section which are not original. Not sure if the output jacks are original or have been rewired. All in all, it looks mostly fine inside, as far as I can tell. The electrolytics in the preamp and power amp have signs of bubbles though, so they need to go. A proper recap is definitely in order. As for the date in early 67, when was the series officially launched?

thebugman
Knight

Postby Grog on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:09 am

Announced in January 67 launched abouit April 67 I think from reading Jim's book. Very early model maybe pre-production hence the different panel.

Grog
Baron

Postby OASISBLUENOSE on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:31 am

That is one hell of a score.Nice one!
OASISBLUENOSE
Page

Postby Grog on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:17 am

Good score indeed I've seen them go for more than that when they do crop up, I know I've bid on them.

Grog
Baron

Postby thebugman on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:50 am

The cab is already listed for sale locally. Definitely not a bad deal for the head! I'm not very keen on the cap job though, I did my Conqueror some time ago and it wasn't funny. I think the amp came from Germany originally, I wonder if it was maybe a pre serial production model for the Musikmesse in Frankfurt or something? Just a wild guess. Maybe if Jim Elyea sees this, he can add a bit to the information on this head.
thebugman
Knight

Postby Jim Elyea on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:29 am

Nice piece. I think everyone's analysis so far is correct. It appears to be a low wattage Solid State bass amp. This definitely pre-dates the production versions that we're used to. I like the Burndepts tag; never seen one before. That indicates that it wasn't a prototype chassis made up at the factory. Very interesting to see the vent holes with recessed grills as on A.C.50's and 100s. What is perhaps most fascinating is that it doesn't say "VOX" on it. Please let me know if you ever tire of it.
Jim Elyea
Forum Host

Postby domino on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:51 am

- interesting about the burndept tag, does that mean the presence of one of the 'regular' jmi inspection tags would mean an amp was from a shop?
domino
Squire

Postby Jim Elyea on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:08 am

No. A JMI tag would mean it was inspected at the JMI factory.

If it had been a chassis made up from scratch at the JMI/VOX factory, there would, of course, have been no tag from an outside manufacturer such as Burndepts. I just thought of it- is there a chassis number? If not, that would also indicate a pre-production piece.
Jim Elyea
Forum Host

Next

Return to Vox