High Gain Tone Monsters

Contemporary amp builders and manufacturers.

High Gain Tone Monsters

Postby TwinACStacks on Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:34 am

:D WHOOHOOO Finally a Modern amp Room!!!!

Helloooo? Anybody Here Yet? I know some of You have MODERN amps. Don't let the tonesnobs tell You only Vintage amps sound Great. They are SOOOOOO wrong.

Just check out Any of the Mojave Videos at the Top of the Forum. Game/Set/Match. And that is just ONE example of the Great Modern Amps that are available. Let's hear about Yours.....

:D :D TWIN
Marshalls are cool
TwinACStacks
Instigator & Rock Thrower

Re: High Gain Tone Monsters

Postby 52Boomer on Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:26 pm

This Lexicon 284 is the highest gain amp I have, It is a rack, though. I doesn't have a really clean sound at all.

" Are you sure that you're not just imagining that ? "
52Boomer
Prince

Postby TFL on Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:26 am

Cool! I was just thinking to myself today, “I wish the Palace had a place where I could talk about this cool amp I just played.” So I have never really thought twice about modern amps until today. I played this VHT Pittbull Hundred/CL. I have no idea what it is but it blew my mind. It was the model with the graphic EQ. This EQ was one of the most responsive I have ever tried. The amp had UNREAL bass response. It was crazy – tight, punchy, low and solid. I couldn’t believe. It had the real “pound you in the chest” quality to it. So what’s the story with VHT? Does anyone have any experience with this model?
TFL
Squire

Postby onedrum on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:09 am

that lexicon tube amp is pretty cool!! never even new they existed!! that effects processor you got there is one of my favorite for live sound cuz you can dial it in so fast. that's quite the rack ya got there dude!! awesome!!

a friend of mine from vancouver plays a pitbull head and yeah it sounds really good. not sure if his has the eq thing you speak of, can't remember. he would run a full stack but with one cab on each side of the stage instead of piled up. sounded great. i remember him saying it was a ton of money though
http://www.myspace.com/theafterbeat Bastardized '87 CSA 4212, 2000 Garnet Mohawk, '60's Kiel modded by the late great Gar Gillies
onedrum
Page

Postby guitarscientist on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:52 am

im loving my Bogner Ecstasy
guitarscientist
Page

Postby 52Boomer on Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:28 pm

Here is a night view of the rack .

52Boomer
Prince

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:39 am

Most of my higher gain stuff is rack. Here's a couple of different preamps:

Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby Roy33 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:57 am

52Boomer wrote:This Lexicon 284 is the highest gain amp I have, It is a rack, though. I doesn't have a really clean sound at all.

John Macintyre designed that Lexicon 284, I dropped into his shop in Calgary when I was on tour in 1993 and he showed me the prototype for that amp. he had a really cool shop doing a lot of silverface to blackface mods, he had an extensive Bassman mod that was featured in Guitar Player way back when. the reason I stopped by his shop was because I have three of his Musitech Midboost circuits in my strats and I just wanted to meet the guy because I love those midboosts so much. he had other products like a tube powered wah, Madamme Tubewah I think it was called, he was making attenuators as well. he was a really great guy and even sold me a Vintage Vox wah, excuse my rambling I just haven't seen one of those amps in a long time.
Roy33
Knight

Postby 52Boomer on Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:50 pm

Here is some pictures from an advertizement. It came with 3 Ei preamp tubes. I switched out the Sovtek EL84s for a couple of JJs. When not being slaved out, the unit puts out 3 watts per channel into a pair of speakers. They only made these for a couple years. I paid $599, but when Mars Music was going out of business thay had one real cheap.

52Boomer
Prince

Postby madstrat on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:00 pm

my xtc

madstrat
Knight

Postby Jerry G on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:04 pm

52Boomer wrote:This Lexicon 284 is the highest gain amp I have, It is a rack, though. I doesn't have a really clean sound at all.

Interesting, I thought the 284 was just a power amp. I have the MPX G2 which I thought was the preamp for that unit.

Also, have you ever had a problem with that SE100 hurting an amp?

I have one and am afriad to use it too much.
Jerry G
Page

Postby 52Boomer on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:35 pm

I bought the SE100 about the same time I bought the 9000 Power Amp. They are the same vintage. I didn't use it much except when I had a SL100 RI. I find it a bit confusing to use, since I could only use it to bring the signal down to line level. Maybe it was defective when I bought it used. I don't think it hurt the amp, but an amp might have hurt it, since it didn't seem to work like a Power Brake should, directly into a speaker cab. It is supposed to work either way. Then again, I don't know how it could be damaged if it works as a line out. :?
52Boomer
Prince

Postby Jerry G on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:03 pm

52Boomer wrote:I bought the SE100 about the same time I bought the 9000 Power Amp. They are the same vintage. I didn't use it much except when I had a SL100 RI. I find it a bit confusing to use, since I could only use it to bring the signal down to line level. Maybe it was defective when I bought it used. I don't think it hurt the amp, but an amp might have hurt it, since it didn't seem to work like a Power Brake should, directly into a speaker cab. It is supposed to work either way. Then again, I don't know how it could be damaged if it works as a line out. :?

I have used mine both as a power brake and as a line out, I just try not to use it alot.

It sounds a little differnt than my THD Hot Plate.

I just assumed it was a fancy Hot Plate.
Jerry G
Page

Postby 52Boomer on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:02 am

From what I understand, the SE100 is a copy of the Groove Tubes unit from way back. That would make the design older than a Hotplate or other newer attenuators. The main feature of the SE100 was supposed to be the ability to simulate a speaker by plugging into a recording device. Now, many will argue that there are better units that are more realistic sounding in all ways. :idea:
52Boomer
Prince

Postby Jerry G on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:04 pm

Compared to my Hot Plate, it seems to add some thickness.

Defintly more to it than a hot plate, it is a big unit.

Definatly a different sound weather it's considered less realistic or not.
Jerry G
Page

Next

Return to Modern Guitar Amps and Builders