Got a new Fender HRD

Contemporary amp builders and manufacturers.

Got a new Fender HRD

Postby emmettsc on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:32 am

Just got a new Hot Rod Deluxe to use as a backup for my other amps. I tested it out and besides it being a little bass heavy, it sounds good. Of course the OD channel is not the best but I believe you don't buy Fender amps for the OD. Nice, loud clean ch. My question is, After I got it I started looking at reviews on other sites and reviews are mixed. My opinion is that I like the sound, so I take what people on HC say with a grain of salt, but it still keeps me wondering If I should keep it or not. Anybody here have an opinion on these amps?
emmettsc
Peasant

Location: "Where the Mountains meet the Sea" Carpinteria, California

Re: Got a new Fender HRD

Postby rockindillo on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:21 am

A good, solid, reliable workhorse. I've got an early tweed USA HRD and it's a really nice-sounding amp - actually sounds better than most of the later HRDs I've heard, to be honest. Not the best-sounding amp I own, but really good to take out to jams and loan to people if they need a sold, reliable versatile amp in a hurry. (As I write it's out on loan to a friend and I'm having severe difficulty getting it back!)

Clean channel and the reverb are both OK, but the clean channel doesn't break up early enough for my liking (unlike the Blues De Luxe - I've got one of those, too and with a couple of Jensen P10Rs it makes a great lightweight alternative to a bassman as a harp amp). The drive channel works fine as long as you don't push the gain too hard and make it fizzy (better to use an OD pedal). The "more drive" facility is soemthing I never use, but I know one really good player who has used my amp and refuses to use any other channel, riding the whole thing on the guitar's volume control, which says a lot about the responsiveness of these amps when they're set up properly.

Two things to do to improve them: Upgrade the tubes (and get the amp properly biassed) and replace the rather unremarkable Eminence speaker. I have a Celestion V30 in mine and it made a world of difference.
TIM
Listen to "The Blues Is Back!" on Saint FM 94.7 8pm-10pm UK time every Sunday night http://www.saintfm.org.uk
Myspaces:
http://www.myspace.com/timaves
http://www.myspace.com/therockinarmadillos
http://www.myspace.com/autoslim
rockindillo
Peasant

Postby emmettsc on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:26 pm

Thank you for responding and thank you for the advice. I have a great amp tech that I take all of my amps to. Appreciate it. All I am using it for is jam sessions and maybe run it stereo with another small combo for gigs. 8)
emmettsc
Peasant

Location: "Where the Mountains meet the Sea" Carpinteria, California

Postby thatbrownishmexican on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:30 pm

I'm a fan of the HRD, definitely need to change out the speaker and the tubes though.
Use a good old OD and you'll be set.
Garden-Needtobreathe

PRS SCtrem> korg pitchblack>dunlop wah>Maxon 808>fulltone fulldrive 2>keeley comp>fulltone supatrem>boss dd-7>eh memory boy>holy grail>Radial Bigshot a/b selector>AC14H1TV
thatbrownishmexican
Peasant

Postby dylumph on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:24 pm

The HRD has become my #1 small venue gigging amp. Mine is one of those tweed/V30 equipt models. I NEVER use any of the od channels cause to my ears their crap! For OD I use a OCD in my pedal board. I've used it a lot and it has never given me any problems (knock on wood)!
If your thinking about a speaker, I'd suggest a V30.
dylumph
dylumph
Knight

Return to Modern Guitar Amps and Builders