15w head which one.

Contemporary amp builders and manufacturers.

15w head which one.

Postby welshman on Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:41 pm

after too many years carrying too heavy amps, i really need to lighten up my gear , and have decided to go down the 2x12" cab with a small head.
trouble is which one.
i really like the Vox night train 15w head for its tone with my tele, but have doubts whether running it hard on all gigs will last me.Egnater rebel 20 looks good too along with the new Blackstar 20w head.
by using the 2x12" i think i will have enough coverage on stage and more grunt from a small amp.
for comparison The deluxe reverb reissue is by easily loud enough for me with this band. any thoughts ?
to be born welsh is not to be born with a silver spoon in the mouth but music in your heart and poetry in your soul www.flatlandboogieband.co.uk
www.myspace.com/flatlandboogieband
welshman
Knight

Re: 15w head which one.

Postby g60_dave on Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:39 am

Try a laney lionheart. I tried one kinda by accident and now its been my main gigging amp for 2 years. Took a few weeks to break in and get my sound though, like most amps I suppose.
g60_dave
Page

Postby welshman on Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:16 pm

to be honest never liked the sound of laney, good amps i know , but not my sound. cheers. :thumbsup:
to be born welsh is not to be born with a silver spoon in the mouth but music in your heart and poetry in your soul www.flatlandboogieband.co.uk
welshman
Knight

Postby g60_dave on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:21 pm

the lionheart is a el84 with greenbacks. Whats not to like? It sounded better to me than the night train, its why I bought it. Looks better and has reverb too. Has a master tone that ( I found out on stage last week) is a top boost/cut that is astounding. Really reminds me of my old 62 ac30 which had 70s green backs in it.
g60_dave
Page

Postby welshman on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:26 pm

actually you were right ,laney is a great sounding little amp . better than the Blackstar :cheers:
welshman
Knight

Postby neil.sewell on Wed May 05, 2010 10:37 am

I had the 5W Laney Lionheart combo and loved it. I also tried the 20W head and 2x12 in the shop and it sounded great.

Check out the BlackStar Artisan 15W head and matching 2x12. Awesome, awesome amp. Switches to 5W single-ended if you want lower headroom / a different feel. I tried it out thinking the 5W mode would be okay for home use. It's still very loud ... :) At the time, I was after an amp that I could use for my drive sound so this didn't work for me (no master volume). I'm now using pedals and a clean amp so really wished I'd just gone for one of these but hey ho, it's been fun trying out stuff for the last 2 years!

Alternatively, what about the Hiwatt Custom 20? Also a very nice sounding amp and has a few more features over the BlackStar. They're not cheap, though ... :(
neil.sewell
Peasant

Postby ibacon on Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:12 am

New here and just snooping around and found this thread, and happened to have something to say.... for what it's worth...

I just picked up a Bogner Duende, newer model. It's 15 watts (2x 6V's), but sounds a lot bigger, even as a combo (12" G12H Celestion) it's loud and fat. There is also a 30 watt (head or combo) version with 2x 6L's but I've no need, for now, for that much power. Also, this 15w version sounds killer at bedroom levels right on up.

The Duende sounds so good with it's 112 that I haven't even tried plugging it into my Randall cab with 212 V30's....2 channels, clean and overdrive, with a third option to run both together. It is receptive to a lot of pedals, I'm a repair/tech in a local store with about 30 lines of pedals so I get to try new ones every night. Since I got the amp I've been trying different clean boosts for pushing the clean channel, and taking the OD channel to another level, and it sounds pretty much awesome with every one, I just have to choose the color I want. It also has a tube buffered series loop, that sounds great with a Superdelay.

The beauty of the simul-channel option is that there is an overall 'master eq' that he calls 'air' and 'body' - loosely, treble and bass, but in an AC30 kinda way - together, the clean ch. eq and 'master eq' become more interactive and there are some really great tones.

I have run my Les Paul R8, Gretsch Powerjet Firebird, Gibson Firebird (Jason Lollar pups), Gibson C/S Les Paul Special, Fender C/S Tele (w/ Lollar 52's), and my Am. Dlx. Strat through this amp and it is creamy and vibrant on all fronts! I love it like I've loved no other amp.

I'm not sure how many amps at 15 watts are going to stack up against a loud drummer, a few anyway. I have the Night Train, I love it through my Randall cab, but is it going to haul on a stage without my own monitor mix? Well, I'm not Brad Paisley or the Edge, but maybe with Ringo drumming... Probably the same goes for the Duende 15w... but, there's always that 30w version, or the next step up is the Shiva (60w 6L's/80w EL's)

Cheers!
ibacon
Peasant

Return to Modern Guitar Amps and Builders