schematic software for MAC?

Contemporary amp builders and manufacturers.

schematic software for MAC?

Postby guitarstevie on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:46 am

Hey I'm new to this forum so please bare with me. I'm going to be scratch building a couple of tube guitar amps for myself.
Does anyone know of a free or very cheap MAC software program I can use for making my schematics? It has to be for a MAC.
A program that is not to terribly difficult to learn. Thanks for your help.
guitarstevie
Peasant

Re: schematic software for MAC?

Postby archangel on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:44 pm

Hi,
Don't see too many user friendly free applications for drawing on the Mac. I personally have a program called ViaCad on my iMac and it can be used to draw schematics. But, since I have used AutoCAD for many years, I use AutoCAD 2006 on my Dell PC usually when I need to draw a schematic. Now this is just for drawing schematics and is NOT for things like SPICE modeling of circuits and such. Just do an internet search for CAD programs for the Mac and you will turn up demo and freeware programs that can do the job. All you do on most draw programs is set your scale, draw the usual electronic symbols, like one for a resistor, capacitor, tube transformer etc and then just use the programs copy function to paste them on your page where needed. Then just connect them with lines which represent wires. Most computer drawn schematics I run into seem to have been drawn on AutoCAD. You can buy AutoCAD lite 2011 for the Mac for a little over $100.00. To find a free program that is as easy to use for drawing basic lines and copying symbols is going to be tough, but there are some out there. Remember too, that your program must also be capable of working with your printer driver. Some can make cool schematics, but you can't print properly using those programs.
Of curse if all else fails, if you get a drawing up on your screen you can't print correctly, take a screen shot using Command+Shift+4 and then open it in 'preview' and print form there. You can do this with obstinate web pages which forbid you to right click and save graphics too. Macs are cool.
archangel
Peasant

Re: schematic software for MAC?

Postby tubeswell on Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:03 pm

I use this one on my mac

http://dhost.info/jschem/
He who dies with the most tubes... wins.
tubeswell
Peasant

Return to Modern Guitar Amps and Builders