5e1 how to earth /ground components

For those building and repairing amps on their own. Learna and share ideas.

5e1 how to earth /ground components

Postby Ericdag on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:04 pm

Hi all firstly thanks for having me and any help I may get. Ok I'm new to amp building so I've started with hopefully an easy one the fender champ. I'm doing ok but something tells me that earthing or grounding isn't simple. I see on the schematics there are grounding symbols, can I just use grounding tabs and ground them to the chassis any where or like I said is it more complicated than that.again thanks for any help or advice on this regards Eric.
Ericdag
Peasant

Re: 5e1 how to earth /ground components

Postby gusfinley on Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:04 am

It could be that simple or could not be. It all depends on the amp you build. Many grounding practices on vintage amps were quick and dirty, but worked. Even then, it seems every amp is different.

There are lots of different grounding schemes and some of them complicate the wiring a lot over the classic champ build techniques.

You can make the choice. You could start with the classic wiring layout and see if it causes problems (it may not). Some like to keep a build as "vintage" as possible.

You could go with the most elaborate grounding scheme and spend a lot of time and use a lot of wire in the process and it might not improve much.

Do whatever you feel is best.

Probably not the most helpful post, but sometimes you get lucky with grounding and other times its a nightmare!

I recently converted my champ build that used better grounding principles to a full star ground to tame the hum and buzz and its now completely silent when I'm not playing.
gusfinley
Knight

Postby Ericdag on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:33 am

Thanks gusfinley I've continued to read the book I'm building my amp from and I'm starting to understand where I need to solder some of the grounds to it wasn't clear at first hence the question. By the way it uses a brass grounding plate bolted to the chassis using the input jack? Still not one hundred percent but like above I'll give it ago and see what happens thanks again all
Ericdag
Peasant

Postby jaywalker on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:51 pm

That brass plate was also "tack" soldered directly to the chassis in a few spots in many Fender models. I don't know about the Champ in particular so I would suggest that a search for images would be a good source as a guide. It would require a big-ass soldering iron to heat up the chassis.
jaywalker
Baron

Postby Sloclone100 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:16 am

Here is a really good resource. So good, you may not need to go anywhere else:

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/Grounding.html

HTH
All Hand Made:
SLO 100 (2005), FX loop, Slave Out
SLO 100 (2007)
JCM800 2203 100W (2010), Metro FX loop, EL77s
Hiwatt DR103 (2016), Ceriatone kit, F&T filter caps