Tonkerlites?

DR103, DR103OL, DR504, DR504OL, DR103S (Gilmour), CP103 (Townshend), Lead 30, Lead 50, Lead 100, DR201, DR405, SA112, SA212, SA412, SE4121, SE4122, SE4123

Tonkerlites?

Postby beast1972 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:53 pm

I own a Reeves Custom 50 "Jimmy" that I'm currently running through two Tonkerlites after trying numerous other speakers, however none of them actual Fanes or Reeves or the DRFs. My question is, just how close are these Tonkerlites to the original Fanes/purples from the mid 70s? I know there are experts here who have the "good stuff" and I'm just curious if they are even in the ballpark. To me, they sound very bright and I don't envision an original Fane as being that bright, but having never owned one I wouldn't really know. Opinions on this topic? I know it's been beat to death, but this is one more discussion thread to have at it.
beast1972
Peasant

Re: Tonkerlites?

Postby OldSchoolDave on Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:20 pm

They're pretty good. Are yours completely broken-in? That'll make a big difference.

Have you tried the head through other cabinets to see if it's overly bright?

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby beast1972 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:17 pm

Thanks Dave. No, they are still very new so they have a ways to go regarding break in. I'm running them in an oversize pine 2x12 with an oval open back. Very dynamic cab. I haven't tried them in my birch cab.
beast1972
Peasant

Postby OldSchoolDave on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:49 pm

Give 'em some time to warm up. Once properly exercised, the excessive brightness should go away.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby arya44 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:12 pm

Hi,

Are you still using your Tonkerlites? I just set up mine with 2x early 80s 50w Fane and 2x Tonker.
Tonkers are a bit fatter sounding than Tonkerlites so the high and high-mid presence kinda balances out a bit. Still too bright through my Reeves Custom 50.
50 watt Fane has a nice high frequency extension but the high-mids are tamer than Tonker. Since I have 4x12, I can make it X pattern (as it is now) and if I find the highs and mostly high-mids I would say is too aggressive, I can move the Tonker speakers to the bottom. Although I must say for micing with SM57, the Tonker speakers are essential to get enough high mid-range expression. I blend both speakers in the recording.
I have a 70s smaller magnet Fane that is very sizzly in high and high-mid frequencies (reminds me more of the Tonker or perhaps Tonkerlite from the samples I heard).
I like the large magnet 50 watt sound better for fatness and smoothness.
I must add that bright doesn't mean bad if it is articulated, overtones are blended well, and generally a sweet sounding speaker. The problem with the brightness is when it is in the face and doesn't sound sweet or when there is not enough low mids to complement it and balance it out.
Also through dynamic mic everything sounds tamer so if you record it, you don't want perfectly smooth and round for your listening position and dull for the recording. It is better to be slightly in the bright side and then you can adjust the EQ a bit in the post.

Best,
Arya
arya44
Peasant

Return to Hiwatt