New Cab Day! 70s Hylight 4x12 w/Celestions

DR103, DR103OL, DR504, DR504OL, DR103S (Gilmour), CP103 (Townshend), Lead 30, Lead 50, Lead 100, DR201, DR405, SA112, SA212, SA412, SE4121, SE4122, SE4123

New Cab Day! 70s Hylight 4x12 w/Celestions

Postby Pacafeliz on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:53 pm

Hey guys!

I'm about to check out an old Hiwatt cab. Seller says it's from the late 70s, with the hylight tag.
He mentions it has "amazing sounding" 65w Celestions in it, any chance these are original?

Anything i need to be careful of, etc.?
Thanks!

Pat.
Last edited by Pacafeliz on Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Re: 70s Hylight 4x12 w/ Celestions?

Postby Pacafeliz on Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:25 pm

ok i got pics, it's an SE4123 cab, serial number 6763, that would make it what, a 1975?
so i guess Celestions are definitely not original, right? :(
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

Pacafeliz
King

Postby OldSchoolDave on Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:45 am

Pacafeliz wrote:so i guess Celestions are definitely not original, right? :(

What are the date codes on the Celestions?

There were times when HIWATT installed non-Fane speakers upon customer requests.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Pacafeliz on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:22 am

Thanks!

Well the speakers are definitely not original... but still, i went for it. I traded an old Ibanez copy of a Rickenbacker solidbody for it, and got 300 Euro in cash on top of it.

The speakers are all Rola Celestion G12 65, 2 from April 1978 and 2 from April 1983, all in perfect shape.
The cab has had the grille changed (correct but "too clean" looking) and is missing the logo.

I could have had a mint clean 1972 Sound City L60 (2x12 Fanes) instead of this, but i needed a cab for my SC B100 and the Orange heads, and i think i did good. I like the rocked look of this one, but will probably have to age the grillcloth a bit. And get a logo, alright.

Pics later! :D

Pacafeliz
King

Postby Pacafeliz on Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:48 pm

oh and i'm gonna need some piping, too... where can i find that?

Pacafeliz
King

Postby Pacafeliz on Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Pacafeliz
King

Postby Pacafeliz on Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:50 pm

Pacafeliz
King

Postby Pacafeliz on Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:51 pm

Pacafeliz
King

Postby OldSchoolDave on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:14 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:oh and i'm gonna need some piping, too... where can i find that?

Mojo sells it in the States.

http://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/Pipi ... d-with-Lip

Not sure who handles that sort of thing on your side of the Atlantic.

Dave

P.S. G12-65's are fine speakers (even if they're not HIWATT Fanes ;) ).
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Re: New Cab Day! 70s Hylight 4x12 w/Celestions

Postby Pacafeliz on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:22 pm

Thanks Dave!
Might have it sent to my brother in Mexico, so i can pick it up there and bring it with me when I'm over there in April. How much will i have to buy? Do i have to need a stapler, or just press it in?

...any idea where I might find a decent Hiwatt logo badge without having to sell a kidney for it? 3D-Printer, anyone here?! :P

Yeah I would have liked Fanes too, but well, these are good and reliable speakers, and I think i did good with this deal.

Rock on!

Pat.

Pacafeliz
King

Postby OldSchoolDave on Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:46 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:Thanks Dave!
How much will i have to buy? Do i have to need a stapler, or just press it in?

Well, at approximately 30" per side x 4 sides, I'd say 10 feet should do the trick (9' might work, but would leave no room for error). It gets stapled (at the flanges) around the perimeter of the baffle.

Pacafeliz wrote:...any idea where I might find a decent Hiwatt logo badge without having to sell a kidney for it? 3D-Printer, anyone here?! :P

Haven't seen any on the open market lately. A couple of recent posts here deal with the same need.

Dave
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby sound city 69 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:52 am

I bought one of these, looks great with the exception of the large countersunk holes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hiwatt-Amp-Plat ... Sw5ZBWFqce
sound city 69
Certified

Postby Pacafeliz on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:54 pm

sound city 69 wrote:I bought one of these, looks great with the exception of the large countersunk holes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hiwatt-Amp-Plat ... Sw5ZBWFqce

thanks! but... 70 bucks!? :?

Pacafeliz
King

Postby sound city 69 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:21 pm

I agree but it is very accurate and what would it cost to have one custom made? The seller claims that they are used but I have my doubts.
If you just want a logo you could pick up a cheap modern solid state Hiwatt take the logo and resell it but it wont be the correct size.
sound city 69
Certified

Postby Pacafeliz on Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:08 pm

OldSchoolDave wrote:
Pacafeliz wrote:oh and i'm gonna need some piping, too... where can i find that?

Mojo sells it in the States.

http://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/Pipi ... d-with-Lip

Not sure who handles that sort of thing on your side of the Atlantic.

Dave

think this one (for Marshalls) will do, too?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Marshall-White-P ... 1438.l2649

Thnx!

Pacafeliz
King

Return to Hiwatt