Why does Led Zeppelin HTWWW show sound like Hiwatt?

DR103, DR103OL, DR504, DR504OL, DR103S (Gilmour), CP103 (Townshend), Lead 30, Lead 50, Lead 100, DR201, DR405, SA112, SA212, SA412, SE4121, SE4122, SE4123

Why does Led Zeppelin HTWWW show sound like Hiwatt?

Postby vintagecharlie on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:53 am

Hi folks,

while the DR504 i acquired a year ago is growing more and more on me, i revisited some of the Led Zeppelin shows, including RAH and HTWWW. I assumed that HTWWW is Hiwatt, as it sounds very similar to RAH, while TSRTS is more compressed, less dynamic, less clean and less detailed (all the picking nuances, thumb/index fingers nails pushed against strings, etc.) do not come through as in RAH and HTWWW.
To my surprize, turns out HTWWW is supposedly all Marshall 69 SLs. Ive never heard any Marshall sound that close to Hiwatt. Is the exlusive use of Marshalls docume ted for this show, do bootlegs sound similar?
I have Jtm45-100 and while it is not a 69 SL, i see no way how to get that tone out of Marshalls - no clips of Marshalls i've heard sound remotely close to that tone.

Thanks for your input!

Best,

VintageCharlie
vintagecharlie
Court Jester

Re: Why does Led Zeppelin HTWWW show sound like Hiwatt?

Postby LD50 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:05 am

A metal panel Superlead from that era has so much more detail and brightness than your 45/100 which is a splendid blues amp but it mushes out when cranked fully in the way a 100w Hiwatt does not. A 100w Superlead has a sweet spot that responds to the guitar player who uses the volume and tone pots a lot ( like Page or even more so Beck) is vey loud before it starts to crap out. speakers have to be factored in too, do you know if the black painted Orange cab had Fanes, Celestions or other speakers? My Fanes are a totally different voice and dynamic c/w the various celestions.
Interested to hear what others think.
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Re: Why does Led Zeppelin HTWWW show sound like Hiwatt?

Postby Sloclone100 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:44 pm

I saw Zeppelin in 1978 at Madison Square Garden. Jimmy was using his famous Gibson double neck and a stack of Hiwatts behind him. I smoked a bit of pot back then but refrained from doing anything to impair my experience at that show. It was one of the best concerts I've ever been too.

I then saw them in 1998 (sans Bonham) and Jimmy brought out a Hurdy Gurdy. I was so amazed I didn't even notice what other gear he had (and they were not as good seats as 20 years prior).

20 years on, a bit deafer (since I always scored good seats), and I really could not tell the difference. What a show, both of them. I can say I saw one of the greatest rock bands in history at their peak. When I saw The Who in 2007, Pete had already switched to Fender VibroKings and his custom Stratocasters. It's funny when you see the old rockers who never played anything but Les Pauls now playing Strats because they can't handle the weight!
All Hand Made:
SLO 100 (2005), FX loop, Slave Out
SLO 100 (2007)
JCM800 2203 100W (2010), Metro FX loop, EL77s
Hiwatt DR103 (2016), Ceriatone kit, F&T filter caps
Fender Deluxe 5E3 Proluxe (2015), 6L6s, Adjustable Fixed Bias

"We call ourselves 'Creators', yet all we do is copy"
Sloclone100
Peasant

Return to Hiwatt