Treble booster with OR80: Dialing in good tone?

Cliff Cooper's unique OR80, OR80 Combo, OD80, Graphic 80, OR100, Hustler Combo, OD120, OR120, OR120 Combo, PA120, Graphic 120, OR200, Reverb, 2x12, 4x12

Treble booster with OR80: Dialing in good tone?

Postby miserymoth on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:07 am

I picked up a Throbak Strange Master to use with a '74 OR80 Pics & Text. Having trouble dialing in a nice tone, getting a lot of super high pitched (not nice) feedback as soon as I turn the volume up. I am in a small room. Anyone got experience using treble boosters with OR80s and settings to try? Thanks
miserymoth
Peasant

Re: Treble booster with OR80: Dialing in good tone?

Postby lastcaress83 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:37 am

I've used the BYOC triboost with my OR120. I like to use the lo gain input and set the FAC one click from the left. I also have my head modded to take the bright cap out of the circuit with a push-pull 1 Meg pot on the gain. I find it helps take the edge out of the tone with pedals at lower gain/volume levels. With this setup and my US strat, I can nail early Judas Priest tones (think Victim of Changes from Sad Wings of Destiny)
lastcaress83
Page

Postby miserymoth on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:24 am

I love those early Priest albums, great guitar sound. So your amp mod removes some of the harshness/brightness when playing at lower volume? Does it not make as much difference at high volume? I'll try turning my FAC more anti-clockwise, when I play without pedals I rarely have it past 2 clicks from the right, as it just adds so much bass and sputtery fuzz. What are your tone controls set to? Thank you! :)
miserymoth
Peasant

Postby lastcaress83 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:11 am

The push-pull bright cap makes a very big difference on up to about 3/4 of the way. If you're cranking the amp that high already, you should be getting plenty of distortion without the boost :thumbsup:

I agree, the amp gets very fuzzy cranked up and with the FAC further to the left. I happen to like the sound but it's not everyone's cup of tea. The treble boost will tighten it up considerably, however. It take most of the low-end out of your guitar signal and pushes the preamp into distortion early so you shouldn't need to hit the power tubes as hard.

The settings you described seem like they'd already be pretty darn bright... I imagine that using a treble booster on top of it might be ear splitting. Like I said, I use the low gain input with the FAC one click to the right (2nd from most bass)... the EQ knobs I set to around midway and make small adjustments from there. My BYOC Triboost has selectable input caps (Normal, Mid-range boost, and Full-range boost) I use the mid range boost option.

My amp has a master volume so I usually set it to about mid-gain and use the master to control the overall volume. If your using a non-master amp, I think getting rid of the bright cap (either by clipping it or adding the 1-Meg push-pull Fender style switch) adjusting the FAC, and using the low input should get you closer to what you're after. You probably won't need to crank your amp as loudly, seeing as adding the boost will get you grind at lower settings and the FAC will help distort the preamp earlier.
lastcaress83
Page

Postby miserymoth on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:21 am

This is a really helpful reply, thank you!

Yes I've noticed that I don't really need the boost with the OR80's gain (no master) past about 1pm, in fact it's too much gain and just feeds back loads and doesn't sound that great to be honest. And then with the gain below about midday the treble booster isn't really working like it should I don't think, it sounds extremely bright and harsh, but not in a good Iommi way.

I love the FAC fuzzy sound, but only for certain stuff.

So I'm gonna try: treble booster on full range boost mode (not treble mode) and germanium not silicon mode; FAC to the left; amp slightly lower volume (around midday); low input.

I also have an MXR micro amp which sounds pretty good. I don't know if that does a similar thing to the treble booster, just flatter frequency boost?

On a side note: When my FAC is to the left, the amp sounds quite sputtery to me, almost like it has low sustain. Like it kind of dies off quickly. Is that normal?
miserymoth
Peasant

Postby lastcaress83 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:18 pm

I would have to hear the amp to tell you whether or not it's normal. I can tell you that I tend to get the most sustain when the FAC is far to the left but that is likely with very different settings than what you're running. The settings you mentioned sound like a good starting point. I was messing around last night just to see if I could find my settings and I couldn't decide if I preferred the FAC in position 2 or 3... they both sounded great!

If the tone is still too bright, you may want to consider having this bright switch mod done: https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/p ... solder-lug

It's very simple and just takes the place of your gain knob pot with the bright cap soldered to the back lugs. Still, If you don't have much in the way of electronics experience, it's always best to have a tech do it for you.
lastcaress83
Page

Return to Orange