simms watts

Burns, Selmer, WEM, and more

simms watts

Postby davelangdon on Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:46 pm

Has anyone else got a Simms Watts? Ive got a monster of a PA 100 mk2. It has a bright orange plexi front with 4 inputs all with vol/treb/bass. 2 inputs on each channel and a master vol plus master presence. On the back is an effects send return loop. Having compared the guitar amp schematics there is no difference to the input circuit! So this is like a 4 channel head with master volume! The transformers are massive, and the BASS! I have to notch it down a bit. It's in really good condition for its age, I think the test sticker says Feb 1971.These are a great amp if anyone is thinking of getting one because they are so flexible, and you can overdrive them by turning the master down. Any others out there?
davelangdon
Peasant

Re: simms watts

Postby Tube Tramp on Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:00 pm

there is a very nice halfstack at black market it never seems to sell but looks well made very clean sounding.so it put me off a bit this was not a pa head but i will wager that it is built well early 70s and probably has some fine speakers lurking in there,better go have another look,,,,,tt
Tube Tramp
King

Postby chrism on Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:44 pm

Had a Simms-Watts and it was okay. Sold it to a friend, he got the Ultralinear output modified to a more normal configuration and some small tweaks to the rest of the amp (kicking up the mids as there is no middle knob for instance). Turned into a fire-breathing beast. Almost bummed I sold it then.

chris m
On a long enough time line the survival for everyone drops to zero.
chrism
Baron

Postby peter horvath on Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:14 pm

i had one too. they start to crunch if you turn everything up to 10(except the bass)...
peter horvath
Baron

Postby tone-lizard on Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:23 pm

Removing the UL is exactly what I've been thinking. There is also a lot of gain 'there, but not there'. For some reason, even with new tubes and everything checked out, this '100-watt' head is only putting out a measured 80-watts RMS (before clipping, with a 1kHz signal @ 250mVAC, into a 16-ohm dummy load) :D :D :D . Now, if I ever get a gig at Madison Square Garden, I'm set ;) .
"Never mix alcohol and calculus. It isn't a good idea to drink and derive."
tone-lizard
Page

Postby Tommy G on Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:01 pm

I saw Mick Ronson playing them in the Seventies, and they sounded HUGE. I think it must have been a 200 watter, since he also favoured Marshall Majors ("PIGS").
Tommy G
Knight

Postby jimmyjohimbine on Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:59 pm

I have a 100w Simms Watt head that I think has been boosted for a little more gain. It sounds pretty good for guitar but I really love it for bass. It really kills.
jimmyjohimbine
Certified

Postby JJ on Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:02 pm

Actually-It was Bowie that used the Simms Watts amp-not Mick Ronson.
Bowie ran his 12 string guitar through it and occasionaly a les paul.He used it specifically because of its clean tone.
Mick Ronsons awesome sound came from his Marshall "pig" major-which he ran very very loud.
JJ
JJ
Peasant

Postby JJ on Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:52 pm

Actually-It was Bowie that used the Simms Watts amp-not Mick Ronson.
Bowie ran his 12 string guitar through it and occasionaly a les paul.He used it specifically because of its clean tone.
Mick Ronsons awesome sound came from his Marshall "pig" major-which he ran very very loud.
JJ
JJ
Peasant

Return to Miscellaneous British Amplifiers