WEM pa 40

Burns, Selmer, WEM, and more

WEM pa 40

Postby davesounds on Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:41 pm

Hiya,
Allthough i,m a MatamP / Orange guy ive bought a WEM pa 40 off E bay...(Yes I know its transistorised! ) does anyone know where i might obtain a Circuit diagram for it?.its scruffy battered and cheap...(I think thats covered it)
thanks from uk
DAVESOUNDS. UK

" It didnt do that last time i plugged it in!!"
davesounds
Certified

Re: WEM pa 40

Postby TimF on Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:38 am

I have an ER40/PA40 schematic which somehow didn't get on to the Watkins/Wem website, but my scanner's broke and I can't get it on-line at present. If you e-mail me a postal address I'll send you a copy snail-mail.
TimF
Knight

Postby davesounds on Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:42 pm

Thanks for the circuit diagram,(it arrived before the amp!)Got the amp today..its had a hard life but its all original inside!
How old is this amp?.Its only requires a cabinet clean n stick the rexine down/Secure the power module properly and secure the flappy driver board.Ive started on the front panel and cleaned the pots.Should the mains switch be left/right or up and down as usual? and of course some nuggett has taken the round bulgin socket off and parcel taped a fixed mains cable exiting the amp by an existing rear rubber grommet!.Its running now and sounds ok for first generation germanium transistors.its noisy as compared to my 80s MatamP mixer amps but they are much more recent.(and much more expensive!)
Has anyone a circuit for the front panel? as i only have the 40 watt transistor power module diagram.Looking at the clever construction i conclude that the 40 and 100 watt amps have same case /mixer panel and only a different rear power module...clever stuff for the 60s eh?
all in all a great little Charlie Watkins tranny brit amp for 31 quid off flea bay!
cheers Dave
DAVESOUNDS. UK

davesounds
Certified

Postby TimF on Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:48 pm

Age - my best guess is that Wem made the PA40 from around 1965 to 1970. Something inside may have a date code on it.

I wondered why the PA40 and ER40 shared a schematic when the front panels were different : obviously there's something missing from the one I sent you. Over to the tech guys.

Sound - we used an ER40 as a PA 1969-70-ish with a pair of 2 x 12 cabs. Lead guitarist bought it as a guitar amp and didn't like it (too clean) but it made a pretty good PA by the standards of the day (for a teenage folk/rock band playing for free beer, anyway). I'm fairly sure the mains switch was up/down.
TimF
Knight

Postby Jari Hartikainen on Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:59 am

Hello,
Regarding the age of the amp - both the PA 40 and ER 40 still feature in the 1974/75 Bell's Catalogue.
Jari
I think we've got an eater!
Jari Hartikainen
Court Jester

Postby davesounds on Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:03 am

Thanks for the url to the Bells Catalogue! Ive really enjoyed seeing all the old quality gear within. Thanks
"Interesting how all the Amps n Speakers came......with a showerproof cover"..
DAVESOUNDS. UK

davesounds
Certified

Postby davesounds on Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:30 pm

As a follow up to this W E M posting I gigged with this little W E M PA40 amp last week (in a very small pub and with my spare MatamP 120 watt valve amp in my car boot.It was ok with a mic in the second channel too!but as i said in my earlier post it was a little noisy (and susceptable to mobile phone interference)Today i called into a local music shop in search of a round Bulgin socket to make the amp original and replace the gaffa tape joint in the mains lead! ans the shop manager said he had the same amp in the scrap bin upstairs....he brought it down and turned out to be a well butchered W E M ER40 looking worse for wear!"take anything you want off it he said so i took the round Bulgin connector/a few chrome fixing screws/and a front fixing clip.Then i noticed something.
The shop amp had a large metal screening plate bolted to the 4 mains transformer fixings thus effectively screening the pre-amp from any interference from the power amplifier.As the one on mine was missing i explained and he said it was ok to take that too.Ive just fitted it and surprise! the little W E M is now as good as new.Its quiet and sounds very good for an amp thats over 30 years old and not valve!
Maybe id like a W E M valve amp now!
ps Am still looking for a diagram for the pre amp..(am convinced that both the ER40/PA40/PA100/ER100 all share the same pre amp boards)...also surprise the amp in the music shop had the mains switch working left/right rather than up/down.
help with circuit gratefully accepted
Cheers Dave
DAVESOUNDS. UK

davesounds
Certified

Return to Miscellaneous British Amplifiers