Any Steve Hackett fans out there?

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Re: Any Steve Hackett fans out there?

Postby GroundhogKen on Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:52 pm

I saw Steve and his band last night in Rochester, NY.

Renaissance (with Annie Haslam and Michael Dunford) opened.

Great show.

Firth of Fifth, Blood on the Rooftops, Fly on the a Windshield, Every Day, Ace of Wands, Spectral Mornings, etc.

Ken
GroundhogKen
Certified

Postby jkleban on Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:33 pm

Steve Hackett has been my guitar hero since the early 70's. I happen to know alot about his gear during the classic Genesis days, so, here goes:

Steve used a tranny H&H 100IC head with a 4x12 Hiwatt cab with Fanes. He used this head for both SEBTP and The Lamb. Of course he used his 57 Goldtop in the studio along with a custom pedal board built by Pete Cornish. He also used a Echo Plex unit that his pedal board went to first, then on to the H&H amp head.

So, his pedal board had a Schaller Volume Pedal, an MXR Phase 90, a Thomas Organ Crybaby, the one with the STACK of DIMES (company later found its way to Dunlop), 2 fuzz boxes (one was the SUPA FUZZ by Marshall and the other a UNIVOX (Shin-ei OEM) rebranded Shaftsbury Duo Fuzz and a Coloursound Octi-Vider. For the Lamb, he added the all too rare, Synthi HiFli (think of the warbled sound of Counting Out Time solo).

Steve also used the tremolo unit on the H&H amp (think Back in NYC) which has a very unique tremelo sound. His HiWatt cabinet was mic'ed with the work horse SM-57. All the reverb on his tracks were added at the desk with a EMT 140 (Plate reverb used on all the classic Gen albums starting with Foxtrot). ENO also put alot of Steve's guitar tracks through the MOOG filters (part of the ENOSIFICATION credit, he also put some voices through the MOOG and I think he added the white noise tracks to In the Cage and Ravine).

You probably knew most of this info already and if someone has info contrary to my information, please let me know.

I have spent the last three years collecting all of this vintage gear and have all the pieces except the Synthi Hi Fli, which I am on a waiting list for a 100% accurate VOS re-make that is licensed by the EMS folks. Should take delivery somewhere in early 2012. The most expensive purchase was an original, vintage, working Octi-vider which I found from some guy in Japan and he charged me a TON.

Now, if only I could play like Steve, I would have his sound nailed.

Jim
Last edited by jkleban on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jkleban
Peasant

Postby Jamie on Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Nice post Jim.. I'd never heard of the Synthi HiFli. Google found some interesting posts. The reissue is a bit pricey for me. I lost a lot of interest in Genesis when Gabriel left, and completely lost interest after Steve left. I saw the seconds out tour, Hackett was spot on.

jkleban wrote:Steve Hackett has been my guitar hero since the early 70's. I happen to know alot about his gear during the classic Genesis days, so, here goes:

Steve used a tranny H&H 100IC head with a 4x12 Hiwatt cab with Fanes. He used this head for both SEBTP and The Lamb. Of course he used his 57 Goldtop in the studio along with a custom pedal board built by Pete Cornish. He also used a Echo Plex unit that his pedal board went to first, then on to the H&H amp head.

So, his pedal board had a Schaller Volume Pedal, an MXR Phase 90, a Dunlop Crybaby, 2 fuzz boxes (one was the SUPA FUZZ by Mashall and the other a UNIVOX rebranded Shaftsbury Duo Fuzz) and a Coloursound Octi-Vider. For the Lamb, he added the all too rare, Synthi HiFli (think of the warbled sound of Counting Out Time solo).

Steve also used the tremolo unit on the H&H amp (think Back in NYC) which has a very unique tremelo sound. His HiWatt cabinet was mic'ed with the work horse SM-57. All the reverb on his tracks were added at the desk with a EMT 140 (Plate reverb used on all the classic Gen albums starting with Foxtrot).

You probably knew most of this info already and if someone has info contrary to my information, please let me know.

I have spent the last three years collecting all of this vintage gear and have all the pieces except the Synthi Hi Fli, which I am on a waiting list for a 100% accurate VOS re-make that is licensed by the EMS folks. Should take delivery somewhere in early 2012.

Now, if only I could play like Steve, I would have his sound nailed.

Jim
Jamie
Baron

Postby Camembert Electrique on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:01 am

Jamie wrote:
I lost a lot of interest in Genesis when Gabriel left, and completely lost interest after Steve left.

Yeah, they became a band for girl scouts and housevifes after that, didn't they. The rock band equivalent of a Barbara Cartland "novel"... I place post Gabriel/Hackett Genesis in the same bin as Yamaha DX7 synths, Ovation guitars and chorus pedals :ick: :ick:

Kjetil.
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise' "

John Peel
Camembert Electrique
Squire

Postby jkleban on Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:07 am

Just an update from an earlier post from a few years ago. I have since discovered that Steve used the CORAL electric sitar (it was actually Mike's) that he used on I KNOW WHAT I LIKE, on quite a few LAMB studio tracks.

In speaking with Steve directly, he told me that he used the SITAR on counting out time on quite a few guitar overdubs and that the BANJO sounding guitar on Counting Out Time was actually the SITAR with a piece of FOAM stuffed under the strings for the muting.

http://www.lldom.com/LLDOM/Counting_Out_Time.html

I have a real bad recreation of COT at the following URL but I did try the banjo and my Synthi Hi Fli has arrived and the SOLO is using it. There is also a couple of guitar tracks with FUZZ effects using both the LES PAUL and the SITAR.

I think I have the right parts and I just have fun playing with this stuff for my own amusement.

Just some more info on the alchemy of Steve H and classic Genesis.

Jim
jkleban
Peasant

Postby Shmisting76 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:49 am

What was the name of that band he was in with Steve Howe back in the 80's? I was trying to remember that yesterday.
Shmisting76
Peasant

Previous

Return to Signature Tones