Ampeg Gemini 2???

Small combos like Mercury and Jet, Jess Oliver's fliptop Portaflex, the Gemini, Echotwin, B25, V4, VT22 up to the 300 watt SVT

Ampeg Gemini 2???

Postby kgirard3 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:16 pm

Hi all, allow me to introduce myself as I am new to this blog. My name is Kevin, I'm 54 years old and started playing Guitar 2 years ago. I use 2000 American deluxe Strat pluged into a Fender Hotrod Amp. I was just faced with the daunting chore of moving my father into a nursing home which required getting rid of most of his possessions. One of the items I inherited was the Amplifier shown below. I am trying to determine what I have. It says Gemini but is not in the classic blue checked case and it only says Ampeg on the black foot switch that is hard wired to the effect box in the amp. Everything I found on line said Ampeg on the amp but not this one. I pulled the back case looking for a series number or something. All I found was: it has a 15 inch speaker with an EIS number of 220703 which I take to mean 220=Jenson; 7= 1967 model ; and 03= 3rd week of the year. The number 8518 was also on the speaker and the effects box had majic marker on iron several places that said 304287 and the name B McClellan. I could not find any other serial numbers or plates on it. I tried to look it up on line and was getting confused and questioned the credibility of some of the info I was reading as someone said the black case amps had PCB's ( printed circuit boards) but I looked it over and saw nothing but wires, solder and tubes. ( did they even have PCB's I'm 1967?) . I'm sure my dad still has the documentation the amp came with but I haven't gone through their papers yet. My Dad was very anal concerning his musical instruments and as a kid I remember this amp in our living room always covered ( It still is and the cover has nbers on the inside of it written with majic marker as well) my dad never used the amp to gig with and yes... He actually bought it to play his accordian through. He never used the echo or the modutator. The amp still looks like new. It is very large ( Thank God it is mounted on rollers). My questions are, What do I Have? Is it safe to plug in ( it still has a two prong plug), it hasn't played in at least 15 years . Is it Ok to plug my Bass guitar on channel 2 and my Strat on channel 1? should I use the accordian input or guitar input? Any help you can offer is appreciated...Kevin
I can't seem to upload picture... I'll keep trying take my word for it it only says "Gemini" not Gemini 1 or Gemini 2 and the case is black with no "Ampeg" on the cabinet anywhere.
kgirard3
Peasant

Re: Ampeg Gemini 2???

Postby PeterS on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:40 pm

To upload a photo you have to upload it to a photo hosting site like photobuccket, and then post the link here.

( did they even have PCB's I'm 1967?) .

Yes, they were invented in the 1930's and developed a lot during WWII. I have a 1965 Ampeg which is PCB.

Don't plug it in if it has been sitting for 15 years, the electrolytic capacitors are probably dried out and you risk damaging other components if they have gone bad.
PeterS
King

Postby slider313 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:31 pm

Kevin,
AFAIK Ampeg started using PCB in 1967 when Magnavox purchased the company. The first black tolex series of amps, in early '67, used a small PC board with the pots for the effects (speed, intensity and echo) mounted directly to it. The Ampeg logo may have fell off your amp. Some were mounted to the grill, like mine below and others to the center of the cabinet like earlier models.
Here's my '67 Reverberocket 2:

slider313
Squire

Postby kgirard3 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:21 pm

Thanks Peter S I will make a new attempt to show the picture and thanks for the advise to not plug it in. I still not sure of which Gemini I have, the 1 or 2, it is black tolex like slider said. I wrote down the tubes to see if this would help identify. They are from left to right... Two( Power I think) -RCA HX 61-6 GC ; One- Sylvannia AFK for 8Y; two- ECC83/12AX7; and one- RCA 6FQ7/6CG7; 1. ECC83/12AX? Thanks Kevin
Ps the upload attachment has a choose file button on it but it doesn't work...
kgirard3
Peasant

Postby PeterS on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:07 pm

instead of trying to upload, post the pic elsewhere and just link to it from here.
PeterS
King

Postby slider313 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:21 am

A Gemini I would have a 12" speaker. Does it have one channel (one volume control) or two?
slider313
Squire

Postby LAMF on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:38 pm

I HAVE THE SAME AMP AND have had it since 1965 when it was brand new and I love IT...
THE GEMINI ll has a 15" jENSEN SPEAKER THAT IS FANTASTIC AND PERFECT FOR BLUES , but I WOULD NOT use it for BASS.
The GEMINI 2 has a 15 inch speaker for the accordian input I believe the Geminni 1 has a 12 like the REVERB ROCKET.

From the pic you posted it says REVERB ROCKET RIGHT ON IT.....
SO IF THAT IS ON FACT YOUR AMP YOU HAVE A REVERB ROCKET
IF IT HAS 2x12 speaker itis a 70;s re-issue as the originals came with 1x12 and were much small more like the size of a Princeton Reverb.....the GEMNINI has a 15" SPECIAL MADE JENSEN.

Also I looked at the controls and it is NOT a Gemini.......

Channell 1 has 5 knobs an input for guitar and accordian the first 2 knobs control tremelo intensity and speed , then volume, treble and bass, in between that is says BOLDLY GEMIINI ll and then channell 2 has 4 knobs and inputs for accordian (low impedance) and guitar then Volume, Bass, Treble abd ECHO they call REVERB ECHO......

SO what you seem to have is a re-issue reverb rocket......... look at the name right on top !!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmTCxlYj-lw

http://www.ggjaguar.com/gem1.htm

Check out the two links I gave you and you'll see IMMEDIATLEY the difference.

There are THREE main problems with this amp......

1....... at 30 watts it is a MONSTER but in a GOOD WAY and the tubes have NOTHING to hold em in place so take each one out wipe off any corrosion and clean the interior of the sockets....and then put em back in
I suggest you unplug and ground out the chassis in case you hit a cap so ya do not get shocked.

2...the foot switch is premanently connected and has a tendensy to get pulled on until it disconnects at one point thus rendering you with either no ECHO or TREMELO.

3 the 12 xa 7's used for the tremelo circuit and echo seem to burn up faster than normal.

Aside from the Gemini ll the REVERB ROCKET is basically a FENDER DELUXE REVERB..... the circuits are almost exact and the 61 REVERB ROCKET was one of the FIRST COMBOS with reverb , Fender did not have this until the VIBROVERB in 64.

I do have a ton of NOS tubes for these AMPEGS and may be able to help ya out...... first give me an exact description of what is wrong.
Try to give me a serial number so the schematic I get is the right one,
There should also be numbers on the speaker I can tell you if that is an original ir replacement and tell the year by the numbers on that.
Look for serial numbers on the chassis or on the paper schematic glues on the sideof the inner cab.

If you can get more info for me like a serial number or at least some close up pic s of the interior I can help you get this baby up n running fast.

IF NOISE is your problem 99% of the time it is a DIRTY POT or DIRT in the TUBE SOCKETS

I'll check back later n see what ya came up with.....

This should be an easy fix......BUT NO BASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS not even if you did have the 15 inch speaker

Talk to ya soon,

LAMF 8)

These are great amps the GEMINI and REVERB ROCKET....a bit of maintaince n you have agreat Vintage amp !!!!!
I have had one of each since I was a kid a LLOOOOONNGGG time ago
Hopefully we can fix this real easy.

You can email me pics at stjameslamf@gmail.com

Ya Can't put your arms around a memory.....
LAMF
Peasant

Postby stokes on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:36 pm

I couldnt post pics either,I dont have a photobucket acct and when i tried to post pics directly it said the "board was full" not the exact message I got but something to that effect.Keep trying and you might get in,I did eventually.In another thread I posted a pick as my avatar just to show the amp,till I was able to post.Put it in your avatar,at least we'll get a look at it.
stokes
Peasant

Return to Ampeg