Chandler Tube Driver

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Chandler Tube Driver

Postby daprofessor on Tue Dec 11, 2001 1:33 am

Any one have a Chandler Tube Driver? How good is it. Is it worth $200.00?
daprofessor
Squire

Re: Chandler Tube Driver

Postby dwell on Tue Dec 11, 2001 2:23 am

I don't.<BR>It's ok, not great.<BR>Nope.
What does this knob do?
dwell
Certified

Postby melvin on Tue Dec 11, 2001 2:41 am

HEY PROF, I've had afew of them and own one now, I dig it for what i use it for. (a little extra drive now and then for my 71 superlead. I used to use one on an 800 series to.) experiment with the tube type, and you'll probally find something you like.<BR>it's not a magic box, but it's a pretty consistent o.d. device. I'd say $200 is pretty high, i bought mine 3 months ago for $100 and passed one up for $120 just because i didn't like the "dealer" who was selling it.It's up to your ears though. try it through your gear first if you can, then you can decide what it's worth.
melvin
Certified

Postby skycries57 on Fri Dec 21, 2001 7:37 am

Awesome pedal! Well worth the 200.00 imo. I got mine 3 years ago for 150.00 dead mint. A good thing to know, these pedals will always keep there value. <BR>I play mine through a 50w plexi. Inputs jumpered. Left volume on 4 and right volume on 7,treb-2,bas-7,pres-5,mid-2. TDriver volume on 5 treb/bas on 0, drive on 40%. Mic'd to an sm57 to a Chandler echo through a Roland SRV Reverb to PA...The perfect EJ tone! ;)
skycries57
Certified

Postby Michael Patrick on Fri Dec 21, 2001 9:55 am

I'm confused, and maybe y'all can help...<P>What's the difference between the Chandler Tube Driver and the B.K. Butler/Tube Works Tube Driver? Was there any relationship between the two companies, or did they both just use the same name for a completely different pedal? I've got two of the Tube Works units, one of which I recently bought used for $40, and I like 'em a lot.
The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down
Michael Patrick
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Postby smallbox on Fri Dec 21, 2001 5:15 pm

Michael P,<BR>Chandler was the 2nd-generation company that sold the Chandler Tube Drivers, where the designer(B.K. Butler) marketed his Tube Drivers along with Paul Chandler.The pedals were made in Butler's basement! There was some dispute (isn't there always?) over the design inscription ("Concept and design: BK Butler") on the pedals, and those w/o the inscription were made by Chandler w/o Butler's consent. They're now made by Keynote Industries as the Real Tube pedals, and it's BK Butler's company........<BR>(check out "Stompbox" by Art Thompson for more!)<P> :D BTW, I've got a Chandler and a Real Tube version of the original and they're both great pedals!
RayD
smallbox
Squire

Postby Michael Patrick on Fri Dec 21, 2001 6:01 pm

Smallbox,<P>Thanks for the info. Are the ones made by Chandler worth more? Do they sound better?<P>Boy, I'm just full of questions today...
Michael Patrick
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Postby jcs on Fri Dec 21, 2001 9:57 pm

eric johnson uses one live....i think their website may have info on this.....there are lots of models available....seeing and hearing eric live this year,i can tell you they sound real fat for leads....eric johnson does not play chords with the tube driver..........he uses an old fuzz face for the crunchy chords...check out alien love child live.........jcs
jcs
King

Postby skycries57 on Sat Dec 22, 2001 4:36 am

<A HREF="http://ericjohnson.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://ericjohnson.com/</A>
skycries57
Certified

Postby smallbox on Sat Dec 22, 2001 4:12 pm

Michael,<BR>The older Chandlers seem to command higher prices, definitely, but I've heard some that were ridiculously priced and didn't sound like anything special.<BR>The Chandler that I have sounds slightly better than the newer Real Tube version. My reissue (Real Tube) needs some attention to get rid of some of the noise that it has, but otherwise, it sounds great. The Chandler needs some work to cure slightly scratchy pots.
RayD
smallbox
Squire

Postby ®ëv. ßïll¥ © on Sat Dec 22, 2001 4:48 pm

<A HREF="http://ericjohnson.com/pictures/TubeDriver1.JPG" TARGET=_blank>EJ's</A><BR> Image
ImageImageImage

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." --- Thomas Jefferson
®ëv. ßïll¥ ©
The Central Scrutinizer

Postby Michael Patrick on Sat Dec 22, 2001 6:48 pm

I doubt he'd get much out of it with those settings -- hi and low rolled off, output set low.<P>I've got two of the three-knob version. I bought one new in '89 or '90, and the other I bought used this past summer. The circuitry is different in each, and they sound a little different. But I like 'em both, they are just like different flavors of ice cream....
Michael Patrick
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Postby DavidFloyd on Sat Dec 22, 2001 8:38 pm

I hated mine (I had an original B.K. Butler model like that pictured above). It was "o.k." at lower drive settings, way too bright at higher and then I was told that this is one of the models that never gave the tube proper plate voltage either!<P>I know that this is going to be a little off topic, but I've just gotten my hands on the Fulltone Distortion Pro unit and must say I'm REALLY impressed. Even at high volume playing where a lot of boxes (especially transistor ones) start to sound brittle, this little box holds its own. It's VERY, very smooth - unbelievably so in fact. I'd recommend spending your $200 on one of those than the Chandler/Butler stuff - even though it's not a tube design, it just plain sounds incredible - what I thought was pure "hype" on the Fulltone site (I was ready to SLAM this product - full review forthcoming...) really holds true. The guy's got some amazing ears to dial in a box to sound that good.
David Szabados
www.legendarytones.com
DavidFloyd
Baron

Postby BIG Dave on Sun Dec 23, 2001 12:08 pm

I had the rack mount version of the Chandler Tube Driver. I was never able to get a good sound out of it. It always made everything I played through it really thin sounding. Perhaps it just had a bad tube. I sold it (near mint) with original packaging for $100.
BIG Dave
Knight

Postby skycries57 on Mon Dec 24, 2001 2:30 am

Hey David, how did you get your Distortion Pro so fast before everyone else!!!??? I've been waiting for that pedal for over a year, and all the stores in the NW are still B/O!!! I'm really curious on how that pedal sounds. I don't think I'll hang up my Chandler anytime soon.
skycries57
Certified

Next

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain