Rockabilly Delay...

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Rockabilly Delay...

Postby mnutz on Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:55 am

What's everyone using for slapback? I've used a Danelectro BLT, sounds alright, looks fragile. A Dano Reel Echo, too big and I was never really happy with the sound. Peavey DEP-16, the good is it's built super-tough and it's stereo out. The bad is it's very digital sounding, kinda harsh. Most recently an Ibanez DL-5 soundtank. Wow, this little cheapy sounds awesome, really warm and organic.

How bout you?
mnutz
Peasant

Postby geoff_bell on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:47 am

anybody tried the danelectro fab pedals? thinking about getting a danelectro fab echo, but it would be interesting to see how their cheaper range (fab) match up to the medium (blt) and more expensive ranges (dan echo, peanut butter and jelly, etc) they produce. if it's down to construction of the box, it shouldn't really be a problem for the user to put the electronics into a "diy" box after a while.
geoff_bell
Knight

Postby godotzilla on Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:59 pm

I like the old short-range analog pedals for slapback--the Boss DM2 or the Ibanez AD80. Of course an Echoplex will get you there in great style :wink:
Give me tone or give me deaf.
ImageImage
godotzilla
Baron

Postby mnutz on Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:27 pm

I haven't tried the Fab pedals, but I've thought about re-boxing my BLT in a nice heavy duty enclosure. I'd love to try out a Fulltone TTE, anyone use one of those? Of course, I've never spent more than $100 on any pedal, so I don't see myself actually buying one anytime soon.
mnutz
Peasant

Postby asopaque on Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:34 pm

I had been jonesing for a Fulltone TTE for some time, but couldn't quite cough up that much cash for something i had never tried.

Over Christmas vacation, i visited Austin, TX, and found a shop that had one in stock. YAY! They were a cool shop and got me all hooked up to try the thing out.

Good sound, but honestly, i was expecting the thing to blow my skirt up a lot more than it really did. I think i'm looking for more in a delay pedal than just a sound enhancer/slapback tool, which people do use delays for. Some of the things i would look for in a delay pedal were definitely not served by the TTE. And what a PRICE TAG!

It was really great to be able to try it though, and be able to walk away from it knowing it wasn't for me, rather than sitting and drooling on my keyboard while looking at it online.

rich
asopaque
Knight

Postby Johnny C. on Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:34 pm

It ain't cheap but the EH Deluxe Memory Man is my favorite delay. I run it in a post mic setup with my Marshall. It sounds fantastic between the guitar and a clean amp but my Marshall no likey between the guitar and amp.
It is only noise that we secretly want - Morton Feldman
Johnny C.
Modern/Experimental probation

Postby asopaque on Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:49 pm

Johnny C. wrote:It ain't cheap but the EH Deluxe Memory Man is my favorite delay. I run it in a post mic setup with my Marshall. It sounds fantastic between the guitar and a clean amp but my Marshall no likey between the guitar and amp.

can you describe this setup a bit more?

What kind of mic? Mic placement?
Into a mixer? Or directly into the EH MM via a cable adapter?
then off to what type of clean amp?

thanks in advance.
rich
asopaque
Knight

Postby Johnny C. on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:08 pm

asopaque wrote:
Johnny C. wrote:It ain't cheap but the EH Deluxe Memory Man is my favorite delay. I run it in a post mic setup with my Marshall. It sounds fantastic between the guitar and a clean amp but my Marshall no likey between the guitar and amp.

can you describe this setup a bit more?

What kind of mic? Mic placement?
Into a mixer? Or directly into the EH MM via a cable adapter?
then off to what type of clean amp?

thanks in advance.
rich

For living room practice, I plug directly into my Deluxe Memory Man and then into a little National tweed amp. My post mic rig goes like this:

Strat > Axis Fuzz > attenuated Marshall w/4x12 > Shure SM58 > Memory Man (set 100% wet) > National tweed amp.

The mic is like 2-3 inches from one of the speakers and angled slightly. I REALLY need to upgrade the National. I want to get something with a 10" speaker and about 20-30 watts.
Johnny C.

Postby Pacafeliz on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:33 pm

ok i am no rockabilly player nor expert... but i think you can get a good slapback outta almost any delay box, analog or digital.
my reel echo does a REALLY nice one.

but... if i had to choose i'd go with the old ibanez ad-9. slapback was about the only thing it was good for (my taste) before i sold mine (i had 2).

good luck!

Pat.
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Postby Jamie on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:02 pm

Pat's right you can get a slap out of any delay. You just have to take some time to tweak, right timing, roll off, repeats, level etc. Analog is best. My vote goes for an ep-3. A dl-4 can get you there too and you can save settings.
Jamie
Baron

Postby Hiwatt Bob on Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:17 am

binson echorec.

as long as you have some patience, you could seriously score one of these that needs rewiring & do the job yourself for cheaper than a TTE
http://www.myspace.com/rygiboges

'72 Hiwatt DR504
'79 Hiwatt FL112
'76 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Zvex Nano
Hiwatt Bob
Baron

Postby spangled99 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:07 pm

Tape echo or Echorec. No pedal I've heard manages it, although an old Memory Man comes close. Most pedals are too "polite". The rockabilly sound needs an edge of madness to it.

My favourite would be an early sandwich-box valve copicat, cranked a little.
spangled99
Baron

Postby Johnny C. on Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:24 pm

spangled99 wrote:Tape echo or Echorec. No pedal I've heard manages it, although an old Memory Man comes close. Most pedals are too "polite". The rockabilly sound needs an edge of madness to it.

My favourite would be an early sandwich-box valve copicat, cranked a little.

Yeah, a Roland Chorus Echo (tape) or Space Echo will get you there. I had an Echoplex but it finally died.
Johnny C.

Postby edred on Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:36 am

asopaque wrote:I had been jonesing for a Fulltone TTE for some time, but couldn't quite cough up that much cash for something i had never tried.

Over Christmas vacation, i visited Austin, TX, and found a shop that had one in stock. YAY! They were a cool shop and got me all hooked up to try the thing out.

Good sound, but honestly, i was expecting the thing to blow my skirt up a lot more than it really did. I think i'm looking for more in a delay pedal than just a sound enhancer/slapback tool, which people do use delays for. Some of the things i would look for in a delay pedal were definitely not served by the TTE. And what a PRICE TAG!

It was really great to be able to try it though, and be able to walk away from it knowing it wasn't for me, rather than sitting and drooling on my keyboard while looking at it online.

rich

I feel this way about ALL the fulltone pedals, Ive had the FD2, trem, soulbender and choralflange, all are nice, well built etc....but just a little too politer and sterile.
For slap back I lke my DL4 its just as good as anything really and way more flexible. Noone, especially in a loud club can tell the dif between it and an old analog delay anyway......
ymmv.
E 8)

But for live stff I really like the dl4.
Last edited by edred on Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Im not sure who the best guitar player in the world is, its not edred, thats for sure, Garcia agrees with me on this...;"
Jimi Hendrix
edred
Knight

Postby Hiwatt Bob on Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:03 am

the line6 echopark is a fabulous pedal to consider. i'd say biggest bang for your buck of any delay pedal.
http://www.myspace.com/rygiboges

'72 Hiwatt DR504
'79 Hiwatt FL112
'76 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Zvex Nano
Hiwatt Bob
Baron

Next

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain