1962 Blonde Twin

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

1962 Blonde Twin

Postby keithb7 on Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:01 am

Hi folks. New to the forum. First post. I am a bit of a vintage Fender amp nut. I recently acquired a 1962 Fender Twin. Chassis SN 00480. Original cab, and chassis but re-tolexed in black, and JBL K120 speakers. I stripped the cab and sent it to St Louis MI to be restored properly and as accurately as possible. I thought I would check in here to see if can locate any other Blonde Twin owners. These amps seem quite rare. There is very little info out there on the internet. I believe there was only 500 sever made. I wonder in reality how many have survived and are still around today. I have serviced the circuit with new B+ and cathode caps. It sounds wonderful as I test it through a separate extension cab, while I wait for the original cabinet to be restored. I am interested in finding more Blonde Twin owners and starting a master list with SN`s and locations, owners what ever. I think it would be worth our time and effort tracking these amps and maybe creating a home on the internet for us. Us Blonde Twin owners are far and few between it seems.

Here is how the cab looked before I sent it off to be restored:I

Here is how the amp arrived in my possession:

When I replaced the B+ caps, I modified the first stage to be in series, versus stock which was in parallel. This allows the caps to have better voltage protection, especially in stand by mode.

I hope to hear from other Blonde Twin owners if you are out there. I`ll update this thread with photos once I get my cab back. Thanks for having me here in the forum.
- Keithb7, Kamloops BC Canada
keithb7
Court Jester

Re: 1962 Blonde Twin

Postby OldSchoolDave on Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:09 pm

keithb7 wrote:I hope to hear from other Blonde Twin owners if you are out there.

It might be a bit of a wait - those are rare beasts.

I look forward to your updates. And, welcome to the forum!

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Raw Power on Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:08 pm

Congrats !

I just got a '62 Showman(same circuit as your Twin-Amp) recently and it's just a great amp.
I'll bet it would sound incredible thru a pair of JBL D120s(..or K120s ..D130s) .

I've seen a few Twin-Amps on Reverb.com recently and one on eBay ..the eBay auction was asking $9500 :shock:
The ones on Reverb were considerably less. I'm thinking of having a combo cab built for the Showman so I'd
have essentially the same configuration, but it'll have to wait until after the holidays .

Enjoy that amp.. :cheers:
Raw Power
Certified

Postby Gasstationman on Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:41 pm

Welcome to the group keithb7.
Nice score! Tell me if you get tired of that amp. :lol:
Anders Gson
Gasstationman
Certified

Postby ziess on Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:26 am

Nice amp!

Here's mine, a 1960 with serial 00020;

With my '64 JM.

With a Tele

Mine has two Celestion Golds in it. Here's how it looks from the back.

I did some clips a while back too;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dChBeEYIkM

Mine's in the UK. I've never seen another one over here.

Tommy.
ziess
Page

Postby keithb7 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:51 pm

Tommy boy that is a beauty. I'm glad to have found another owner out there. So far in my search I have only found three 60-63 Twin owners on the net that have actually checked in.
Your SN 20. Wow.Very low. I bet those Celestion Golds are great in there. Mine came with JBL K120 speakers. We'll see how they sound once I get my cabinet back. I am certainly interested in Celestion Golds as well. I have listened to your You Tube clip before. Your amp sounds amazing. I found that there are not many clips on there when I searching out tone samples. I'll be sure to add one as well when my restoration is completed.

I see your courtesy A/C plug is mounted up in the rear left corner. You can see mine was installed on the horizontal plane near the transformer. Mine appears to be a modification installed by someone, I think. I assume it may have been added to power an off amp reverb tank that were so prominent back in the early 60's. Odd that your 1960 would have one on the rear chassis, and my 62 does not. Maybe yours was an added mod too? That plug may also explain why your upper rear panel is installed upside down, to allow access to the courtesy plug. This also leads me to believe your plug may be a mod.

If you have any interior photos of the circuit I'd would love to see them. Thanks, Keith.
keithb7
Court Jester

Postby centervolume on Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:34 pm

AMAZING!!!

I just scored Fender Twin 00482!! only 2 later than yours (although the chassis was also being used for the showman amps, so 481 could have been a showman I suppose).

Do you have a tube chart on your cabinet? Mine does not indicate production number or run. It sounds great, I have been working on it over the last couple of days since I got it. Let me upload a picture

a fish in the dish is worth ten in the stream
centervolume
Squire

Postby keithb7 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:20 pm

Great looking amp centervolume! Those JBL's are the real deal. Nice.
This is so cool. We located chassis SN 0020, 00480 and 00482. SN 00421 was for sale about 2 weeks ago on Reverb.com

Here is my tube chart:

Production run 12. I should have a look around for Showman chassis SN's. I wonder if there is a chance they had their own SN run, or shared with the Twin.
keithb7
Court Jester

Postby centervolume on Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:41 pm

awesome! production # 12 is in October of 1962.

I saw an LA tube chart that indicated production #3.

Tell me if you can see a pencil or red crayon number written on the back of the baffle board or or on the inside wall of the cabinet (one of the sides?)
centervolume
Squire

Postby keithb7 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:37 pm

Centervolume my cabinet is current at Vintage Amp Repair in St Louis. Gregg Hopkins is re-tolexing it back to original scheme. It was black as seen above. I can't check for markings currently. Also unfortunately someone painted the insides of the cabinet with black paint. Gregg is going to remove it also to try and restore it to stock. Luckily the tube chart was mostly left in tact. I expect my cab back in a 6-8 weeks from now.

I see a tube chart in your amp. Is it not legible?
keithb7
Court Jester

Postby centervolume on Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:38 am

It is, just left blank, no writing on it or stamp indicating production number etc.

Gregg does good work, your amp is in good hands - can't wait to see the results!
centervolume
Squire

Postby John Peden on Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:30 pm

Greg Hopkins (Vintage Amp Restoration) knows Perry Tate's amp collection. I recall seeing that grey non standard grill cloth on an amp in Perry's collection. That grill cloth could be original but Greg can tell if it is. Nice to see an amp in appreciative hands.
John Peden
Court Jester

Postby 2 guest(s) on Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:56 am

Very nice amp, keithb7! How does the vibrato sound on yours?
mr.danny wrote:+1 We're all going the way of speaker cones anyway :cheers:
2 guest(s)
Squire

Postby keithb7 on Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:16 am

The Vibrato sounds awesome like it should. Warbly sounding. Very dimensional. Classic Blonde Fender Tremolo. Best of all my vintage Fender amps.

keithb7
Court Jester

Postby fendur on Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:17 pm

Another one !! Have had #84 ( summer of 1960) for over 10 years.Has original coned D120F's. Tape label inside has the word "LAB" written in pencil. It also has the LARGE OT that was used in the Hi Power Tweed Twin ! I also have a 63 Rough Blonde Showman with the same tranny in it.

Will download pix later.

"FENDUR "
fendur
Page

Next

Return to Fender