1962 Blonde Twin

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Re: 1962 Blonde Twin

Postby centervolume on Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:44 pm

keith - let us know how it turns out when you get it back!
a fish in the dish is worth ten in the stream
centervolume
Squire

Postby wilson32 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:58 pm

Somebody recently got a mint 61 in Maine for $1000. I missed the ad by a day - my stomach still hurts over that one.
Woman bought it from an elderly country musician - I quizzed her about it and it was real.

Anybody here get it?
wilson32
Certified

Postby Alain Landry on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:49 pm

Nice amps guys. Now tell me, since I am more of a tweed kind of guy, is it possible to get some output tubes distortion from that beast without ear bleeding??? :jam:
Alain Landry
Peasant

Postby centervolume on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:48 pm

maybe with a variac or something but its really going against the spirit of the amp.... the 80 watt tolex twins are one of Leo's greatest achievements of his goal of "tremendous distortion free power"
centervolume
Squire

Postby spoond on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:21 pm

My '61 blond twin starts to get a nice growl at about six and a half or 7 on the Vol. No bleeding at the ears, but the windows do rattle a bit in the neighbor's house hahaha.
spoond
Knight

Postby Mitch Roberts on Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:21 pm

I had an early Blonde Showman for a while. What a beast! It did sound wonderful, but it was just too much amp for me, so it was snapped up by a surf guitar guy in CA. Those blonde showman are the holy grail for Dick Dale type surf music. I would think a blonde twin would do just fine for that, too. :jam:
"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the Elvis impersonators would be dead."
--Johnny Carson
Mitch Roberts
Squire

Postby keithb7 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:37 am

OP checking in. Still waiting on the cab to be done. Man I'm getting anxious. Mr Petty said it...The waiting is the hardest part.
keithb7
Court Jester

Postby bradleyj82 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:31 pm

I can't believe its taken me so long to find this thread. I stumbled on my '63 blonde twin awhile back. Mine was chopped down to a head unit in a scabbed together plywood box. I had no idea what it was when I first saw it. I found it in a pile of trash that had been accumulating in a garage over 25 years. It was with a JBL loaded Sunn cab. I'm just recently getting my ducks in a row to restore this thing to its former glory. I just happen to be in St. Louis and was planning on tapping Gregg to do the work. I'm glad to hear he comes highly recommended. I cant wait to see an example of a blonde twin he's done. I haven't checked my serial in awhile but I think I'm #491.
bradleyj82
Peasant

Postby bradleyj82 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:40 pm

Glad to have found you guys! Here is mine, which I am planning to have Gregg build a new cab for in the near future. Image
bradleyj82
Peasant

Postby John Peden on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:09 pm

I've worked with Gregg Hopkins for several years. IMHO you could not do better unless you can time travel back to Fullerton in the 1960s. Patience is required but the results justify the wait.
John Peden
Court Jester

Postby keithb7 on Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:02 am

Gregg just sent me a message about 5 days ago. He's wrapping up the cab real soon. Yes, it does take a while but from what I hear he's the best. I will check in once it is back in my possession.

Glad you found us Bradleyj82. Welcome to our Blonde Twin thread. Glad to have another member. I suspect mine might be a 63 as well based on my chassis SN. I'm 480. However the date code on my tube chart shows Oct 62. More evidence of Fender stamping a whole wad of tube charts maybe, then using them up.
keithb7
Court Jester

Postby bradleyj82 on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:52 pm

So now that I've found you all I'd like to pose a question. Aside from my own blondie I've never heard another blonde twin. I'm used to blackface tone as my main amps are all BF fenders. Anyway, I'm getting happier with the tone of the blonde now that I've swapped a few tubes etc, but with the exception of the vibrato I'm not totally in love. Though I feel like I should be. I have some guilt. Anyway, I'm curious what kind of stuff you all are playing on the amp, i.e. blues, classic rock, surf, whatever and are there any videos or sound samples out there to compare mine to? Maybe I just need to do some more tweaking. The only videos I've seen are the 2 that pop up when you google blonde fender twin and they really only demonstrate the vibrato channel. Basically, I'm trying to figure out what the goal should be for this amp or if I've already come pretty close to the peak potential of the tone.

Thanks,
Brad
bradleyj82
Peasant

Postby keithb7 on Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:54 pm

I can't comment on my Blonde Twin yet. It's still in pieces as I await the cabinets return from restoration.
I suspect I'll tend to break into early 60's rock and country with it. Pretty hard not to. :D
keithb7
Court Jester

Postby centervolume on Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:54 pm

hi gents

I've actually been using mine at a gig that's pretty low volume to do finger-picking on a tele for the first set, then a guest guitarist on a strat comes in and the last set we use it as a bass amp! (I put in celestion golds rather than the JBLs) so it holds up in all these situations. We dont push it like a loud rock amp, almost more like a small PA system, I'd even put vocals through it without blinking an eye. It has a large warm and solid sound, the tone controls are active, the trem is superb... dont know how to describe the way it should sound... its a musical tool so it either works for you or not. I would definitely say that you should withhold judgment until you get it into a proper cabinet with solid drivers and run it as a combo rather than in a home brew head and cabinet setup.

keith - any sign of the repaired cab yet?
centervolume
Squire

Postby keithb7 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:53 pm

I do not have my cab yet. I expect it to ship fairly soon though. The person restoring it had hand surgery a couple weeks ago and is recovering. (His hand, not my amp lol). I'm certainly anxious to get it back together. For speakers I decided on a pair of WGS G12C drivers. Try those for while and go from there. Cheap enough for a trial. I suspect It'll be late May/early June before I have this amp up and running. I sure hope so.
keithb7
Court Jester

PreviousNext

Return to Fender