Bassman AB165 help needed

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Re: Bassman AB165 help needed

Postby BetterOffShred on Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:14 am

Hey thanks for looking guys!

Yeah I think I'm going to start by putting a 56k I got into the slope spot, and see how that works. It's supposed to fatten up the lower mids a bit, which is desirable to me (in theory).

I also ordered a 10k pot for the mids when I burned the .1u, but I ended up using the ground switch hole for the NFB pot. I love that mod btw.. I recommend it highly. So I think I may take out the ext speaker Jack and tape it up and use that hole for the midst knob. The faceplate is by means 'cherry' but I don't want to drill any holes in it.

After I try these out I may mess with some of the cap values, but honestly it really doesn't leave a whole lot to be desired for me. I should probably start modding my triple rectifier and leave the Bassman alone haha.

-Brett
BetterOffShred
Peasant

Postby Gasstationman on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:10 pm

Put together a "normal channel" in the Basschannels place and compare direct what differs. You will always have good tone when your amp works properly anyway. :)
Anders Gson
Gasstationman
Certified

Postby Dezmoduo on Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:09 pm

Hi Better Off Shred,
I've been tearing up the interwebs looking for the proper mod for my recapped/rewired (AA864) SF Bassman.
I came across this post and registered to follow up. I wonder if you'd share some info about the bass channel mod you've got planned.
I've bookmarked numerous items, layouts and schematics. What I really want is the JTM45 approach since I'll probably build a Trainwreck this winter.
WooHoo!! My first post here. Looks like a fine place to visit

Dez
NYC
Dezmoduo
Peasant

Postby BetterOffShred on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:49 pm

Speaking of Dredging up Dead Threads.. I still have the Bassman, and It sounds so fantastic. I have most recently been building a bunch of pedals, and enjoying them through the bassman, and playing my Triple rectumfryer quite a bit as well. I started a Vibro Champ build from scratch which is almost complete, and now I'm refocusing my efforts on the bass channel in the '68. I'm going to go with the Hyperon schematic and add a stage of gain, and switch the coupling and tonestack values to the 5F6A values. I'm thinking about maybe having the deep switch drop/lift a cathode bypass cap on the 3rd stage to see how that sounds. I got the extra filter cap they added in the schematic, so I will try to shoe-horn that in with the rest of the filter caps, went with the F&T from Hoffman. I also frequent Hoffman amp forums, and I'll probably start a thread over there with this same stuff once I get it going, So yeah, I'll update this as I go :blah:
I got a divorce and am in my last quarter of school for a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering, so my tinkering with tubes time has been really diminished lately though. I love building and modding tube amps, and I'm not giving up on that any time soon! Thanks for looking!
-Brett
BetterOffShred
Peasant

Postby BetterOffShred on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:21 pm

Fun Fact: Earlier in this thread I had burned a Mallory coupling cap with my iron on accident and wasn't sure if I should use it or not, and I went with NOT. Which turns out was a good idea.. I finally got a device that can test leakage on caps, and I tested it last night for funsies, and Yeah it's just an expensive resistor now! Glad I didn't use it.. not sure why I kept it!

-Brett
BetterOffShred
Peasant

Previous

Return to Fender