Speaker / Ohm Questions...

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Speaker / Ohm Questions...

Postby evL on Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:36 pm

Hey Folks, first post so a big wave to you all.
I have some stupid questions to ask. And I expect I'll get kicked in the teeth for asking them. Or at least sound like I don't know $hit but I am prepared for that. So I've done some research here and elsewhere. The problem is that once I think I got the info I need nailed, I find something that contradicts it. So I wanted to pass what I think is correct information on to you folks and see if I have it right. And hopefully this will help others in my same predicament as well.

So I have a '68 Fender SilverFace Bassman, Drip Edge, AB165, with a matching 2-12, tall cabinet.
The cabinet has, I am certain, two Oxfords in it. From the input of the external cabinet there are two wires running from the input to the first, top, speaker. Then from the first, top, speaker two wires run to the second, lower speaker.

Questions ::
1] The '68 Bassman wants to see a 4 Ohm load right? yes / no
2] The Oxfords in the cabinet are 8 Ohm each right? yes / no
3] The Oxfords in the cabinet are wired in parallel to give a 4 Ohm load to the Head right? yes / no

Ok so there go my upper teeth, now lets work on the lowers...
So I have a '68 Fender SilverFace Twin Reverb, Drip Edge, AB763, with 2-12 in it. The speakers have that blue "Fender Musical Instruments" sticker on the magnet but I think these are Oxfords too as they have that familiar square white sticker on them as well. These speakers each have their two wires running to "the same spot" and then two wires run from "the same spot" to the Main Speaker Input.

4] The '68 Twin Reverb wants to see a 4 Ohm load right? yes / no
5] The Oxfords in the cabinet are 8 Ohm each right? yes / no
5] The speakers are wired in parallel right? yes / no
6] Can I safely plug the external cabinet of the Bassman into the External Speaker output of the Twin Reverb? yes / no

I want to thank you for reading all that. I think I have everything right, but perhaps not... Really wondering about question 6...
Thanks.
evL
Peasant

Re: Speaker / Ohm Questions...

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:00 am

uestions ::
1] The '68 Bassman wants to see a 4 Ohm load right? yes
2] The Oxfords in the cabinet are 8 Ohm each right? yes
3] The Oxfords in the cabinet are wired in parallel to give a 4 Ohm load to the Head right? yes

4] The '68 Twin Reverb wants to see a 4 Ohm load right? yes
5] The Oxfords in the cabinet are 8 Ohm each right? yes
5] The speakers are wired in parallel right? yes
6] Can I safely plug the external cabinet of the Bassman into the External Speaker output of the Twin Reverb? yes

:cheers:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby evL on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:23 am

Whoo Hoo, I have all my teeth after all!
Hey thanks Baron Von Machinenmann, I really appreciate that.
Baron I feel so much better, worry gone. Thanks so much...
evL
Peasant

Postby stratele52 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:51 am

Baron Von Machinenmann wrote:uestions ::

4] The '68 Twin Reverb wants to see a 4 Ohm load right? yes

6] Can I safely plug the external cabinet of the Bassman into the External Speaker output of the Twin Reverb? yes

:cheers:

With a Bassman cab, Twin reverb will have / see a 2 ohms load if you keep TR speakers.
stratele52
Knight

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:59 am

...Which is fine, Leo intended this. :thumbsup:

You may notice that the oxfords sound louder at higher volumes if they are a lower wattage rating than the twin speakers, they will max out first if this is the case.
ImageImageImage

Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby evL on Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks for that extra bit of info...
I did figure the impedance would get cut in half again with the Bassman cabinet plugged in but wasn't sure. Nice to hear Leo intended that. As well I will need to watch the volume going that route. The Bassman is a 50 watt rig and the Twin an 85 watt. Nice to know it can be done though.
You folks are great help. Thanks.
evL
Peasant

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:24 pm

Tell us about that bass! :cheers:
ImageImageImage

Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby evL on Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:17 am

Ah Baron, the bass... Well it's one of my best. It is a 1972 Fretless Fender Precision. It's damn near mint and plays like a dream. Solid maple neck, skunk back, with no fret markers. It does have the small black dots on the top of the neck, for the player to view. Blonde body, white pick-guard. I have RotoSound 88's on it, a black nylon tape covered type of strings. The neck likes them, and they do grab the Upright sound.
Rather than go on about it if you want to see a picture of it as well as my whole collection of basses and guitars you can visit this link here :: http://morebassplease.com/the_fam/.
You will notice perhaps that things like the chrome pick-up covers and ashtrays are missing but rest assured I have all the original parts and cases for every one of them. There is a rare Jazz bass in the group I think you'll like. Only 70 made for the US market, and 30 for the EU market, confirmed by a contact at Fender. And the Music Man's... It took forever to find two 2010s, in tip top shape, collector condition. 2010 was the year they started the Classic Series. These are the two I really dig beating on with my thumb. :D
I have played bass for a while but lately I've kind of been getting into surf, instro, spy, spaghetti type drippy reverb and tremolo thing.
Why I don't know. I am not very good on the guitar. But, it's fun. I have actually liked playing the bass with reverb. I never even thought to try that up until a few years ago. You know I have the Twin but I also have a Dr. Z Z-Verb outboard tube tank that really gets the sound going.
Enjoy my friend! :thumbsup:
evL
Peasant

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 am

Nice collection, I am still looking for an affordable 4001 Ricky, until then I picked up this really nice Mexican Jazz a couple of years ago and changed the pick guard for a more Jonesy look. Action is sweet, plenty of different tones on tap, she's a keeper! At home I plug her into a B18, in my buddy's studio I use the '73 SVT, punch you in the chest fun!!

ImageImageImage

Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby evL on Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:31 am

Oh beautiful, absolutely.
But did you need to mention the SVT?
Just kidding... I had an SVT w/8x10s back when I was a kid and stupidly sold it. It's always odd to look back at the stupid $hit one does as a kid. That is actually next on my list to get. And I'm not seeking a 4001, I'd like one, but believe me if I come across the right deal the deal will be done.
Well kewl Baron, very nice J-Bass indeed.
evL
Peasant

Return to Fender