looking for best source of info about vintage fender amps

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

looking for best source of info about vintage fender amps

Postby czeslaw-slide on Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:13 am

Hey you guys. I have a question, since I`m about to buy some catalouges that contains information about vintage Fender amps (mostly I`m focused on a subject how to name the year of particular amp, and get familiar with all the details and specs). Can you give some tips for best source of information about Vintage Fender amplifiers? So far I discovered some basic forum`s (+ facebook gropus) but I`m still looking for advizes, links, books etc - everything that will improve my knowledge.
czeslaw-slide
Peasant

Re: looking for best source of info about vintage fender amp

Postby jaywalker on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:03 pm

You can ask detailed questions here.

Here is a good web source: The Fender Amp Field Guide
jaywalker
Baron

Postby Dean Jr. on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:41 pm

IF you are interested in the particulars regarding dating of Fender amps, do to Greg Gagliano Bibliography and download the 6 articles entitled 'Dating Fender Amps'. If you are going to start dealing in/with vintage Fenders, you need the information contained therein.
I have had the Teagle/Sprung book 'Fender Amps: The First 50 Years' for a couple of decades....good info in there pertaining to the evolution of the company and the models of amps.
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby John Peden on Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:38 pm

IMHO the best book about the history of Fender (amps included ) is "The Sound Heard Round the World" by Richard Smith. The best book about strictly Fender amps is "The Soul of Tone" by Tom Wheeler. Full disclosure ,my photos are in both books.
John Peden
Court Jester

Postby stratele52 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:06 am

John Peden wrote:IMHO the best book about the history of Fender (amps included ) is "The Sound Heard Round the World" by Richard Smith. The best book about strictly Fender amps is "The Soul of Tone" by Tom Wheeler. Full disclosure ,my photos are in both books.

These are great books , I have them too. I meet Richard Smith at Fullerton Museum few years ago.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/fend ... layed.html
stratele52
Knight

Postby czeslaw-slide on Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:59 pm

Thanks guys for your help !!!!
czeslaw-slide
Peasant

Postby Dean Jr. on Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:53 pm

Best to you on the endeavors.
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby keithb7 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:39 am

Fender, The Sound Heard Round The World is a great read for Fender Fanatics. I loved it. So far I have read it 2X.
I'm not sure I gained much from the book though on how to properly date a vintage amp. The Greg Galiano info is excellent.
For me personally, I learned how to date components in the amps. Transformers, pots, caps, tube chart, chassis stamps and speakers
all have date codes. They all come together to put together the real story. Every chance I get to open the chassis of a
vintage Fender amp I do. I study what I see and practice my dating skills. Very many have been tampered with and you'll
be able to spot the changes quickly with practice. Good luck, it sure if a fun hobby to enjoy.
keithb7
Court Jester

Return to Fender