1965 Deluxe Reverb Standby Problem

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

1965 Deluxe Reverb Standby Problem

Postby jason512 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:44 pm

Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased a beautiful 1965 Deluxe Reverb amp, but I'm having some trouble - and I wonder if it's something that's easy for me to fix on my own, if it's operator error, or if I should take it in for service.

The problem is: after turning the amp on, it will play at normal volume for about 5 min - then it will cut to about 1/4 volume before completely killing all sound.

I suspect it has something to do with the standby switch, because if I turn the standby switch off and wait a minute, then turn it back on - I get normal sound back for a little while.

Then if I leave the power on (and the standby) with the volume nob on my guitar turned off, the amp will make random pops or buzzes periodically.

Any idea what this might be?

Thanks in advance for your help on this!
jason512
Peasant

Re: 1965 Deluxe Reverb Standby Problem

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:23 pm

Could be many things, dirty tube sockets, bad solder joints,standby switch, faulty tube,.....sounds like it needs a general servicing and she will be good for another 50 years. :cheers:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby OldSchoolDave on Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:36 am

jason512 wrote:I suspect it has something to do with the standby switch, because if I turn the standby switch off and wait a minute, then turn it back on - I get normal sound back for a little while.

As the Baron said, could be many things. Sounds like it's heat-related, since it happens after the amp has been at operating temperature for awhile. Just because putting the amp on standby for a minute "cures" it, doesn't mean the switch itself is faulty.

If swapping in a fresh set of tubes doesn't resolve the issue, it'll have to go to Tech. Do you know when it was last serviced?

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Unit_1 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:57 am

have the electrolytic power filter caps been changed out? If not she's WAY overdue for some new ones. They only last about 40 years max.

If not it sounds like perhaps the power tubes are fading. I'd change those and bias first.

Unless you're still running on the old power filter caps. In that case you should **leave it turned off** until you can get it to a tech.

and if you're still using the old two prong cord, you really should upgrade that to 3 prongs and bypass the death cap. You'll get a quieter, safer amp.
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby stratele52 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:42 am

Issue can't be filter caps.

Follow Baron advice
stratele52
Knight

Postby Dean Jr. on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:05 pm

IF this amp has not been recapped and serviced, then that would be my first step. I have witnessed original caps in Fenders exhibit exactly this kind of problem. After the recap and cleaning, etc the amp was as good as new. IF after the recap it turns out that there is some other problem, then fix that. The amp is then good to go for the long haul. Ime, someone trying to make an old car run with old ignition components is someone who will always have an old car that does not run well....and may overheat and burn down.
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby stratele52 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:18 pm

Old car , if engine won't start this will not help to put new tires.

It is alway same story on many forums, when a amp do not work properly , people write change filter caps.

I just said; change parts you know they do not work.
stratele52
Knight

Postby Dean Jr. on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:43 pm

Tires.....you don't need tires if the engine doesn't run. tires are the analogy for speakers, imho. You have to have a good ignition system for the engine to run....and the power supply in these amps is the 'ignition system'. IMe, even if old caps are 'working', they do not allow the amp to yield good sonics. Long before electrolytics hum or stop passing voltage, their ability to yield strong and constant voltage is compromised. IT can be heard long before the hum starts or total failure occurs. YMMV.....but I have been at it too long to think differently. I have heard too many 'before and after' recaps when an amp was 'working' to think that old electrolytics do the job they should.
When an amp like the OP's comes to me and IF they want only what they think is the problem fixed, I will deal with the 'obvious' problem but there will be NO GUARANTEE that the amp will stand up. Meaning that the next tiem the amp has a problem, there will be another repair bill. When one of these old amps is recapped and properly serviced, they yield many, many years of good service with no further trouble. I hear too many stories about people who try to avoid doing what truly needs to be done while they have problem after problem after problem. I have seen all sorts of problems disappear when electrolytics are replaced.....and the amp does not come back for more work.....read: I don't make more money fixing amps in a stopgap way. The amp owners get years of good service....just as the new amp provided. :cheers:
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby stratele52 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:34 am

Dean Jr. wrote:Tires.....you don't need tires if the engine doesn't run. tires are the analogy for speakers, imho. :

No, change defective parts, not because the look olds and somebody ( who ? ) write that on the web.
stratele52
Knight

Postby Dean Jr. on Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:03 pm

I change electroytics because they fail or they cause an amp to yield poor sonics. IF one cannot hear loose low end with out of tune harmonics, a lack of top end sparkle, and a flat non-3D sound stage, that isn't my concern. I have NEVER changed e-caps in an old Fender that the amp's sonics did not improve greatly.....with the same tubes.
Dean Jr.
Page

Return to Fender