Need replacement OP transformer for Tweed Champ

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Need replacement OP transformer for Tweed Champ

Postby retrobob on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:43 pm

Whats the best way to go for replacement OP transformer for a tweed Champ?
Actually two Tweed Champs. I have a 57 with a Silvertone 1471 OP transformer, and the 59 Champs OP transformer gave it up last Friday.
The 59 has a Triad 106. wonder if it can be repaired?
Germanium Nation
retrobob
Knight

Re: Need replacement OP transformer for Tweed Champ

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:10 pm

Mercury Magnetics has a service to rewind burned out transformers. They say they take it apart and make notes on the winding, and then use that to rewind it so you get the same tone you had before.

When they do this, they test them in amps to see how they sound, and when they find a really good one they use that as the model for their toneclones....

Call Patrick @ (818) 998-7791x106

Not affiliated with MM except I LOVE their iron and since I live so close I just drive over to get them for my amps. I've bought enough that I have "The good guy" discount. Around 50% give or take a percent or two (it's a tiered discounting scheme, so it can go either way depending on the total)
:cheers: :jam:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby retrobob on Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:47 pm

A rewind will cost $200. But a replacement will be $69.
I think I will get a couple of the replacements and keep the original.
Germanium Nation
retrobob
Knight

Postby Dean Jr. on Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:18 pm

The last I knew, MM would rewind in one of 3 ways, iirc. They would rewind in a 'generic' manner. Or....they would rewind to a blueprinted reference transformer of the same type. OR...they would tear down your transformer, blueprint it during the teardown, and rewind to those exact specs. Those processes were different prices from less expensive to most expensive respectively.
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby retrobob on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:26 pm

Ok, Thanks, Patrick quoted me the $200. I should give him a call and see what other options are available.
Germanium Nation
retrobob
Knight

Return to Fender