Fender Bassman 10 (70Watt) vs. Supersonic 112 combo

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Fender Bassman 10 (70Watt) vs. Supersonic 112 combo

Postby Shandiesel on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:02 pm

Hey there,
Need some opinions. I have a chance to trade even my Fender Supersonic 112 combo for a 77 Fender Bassman 10 4x10. I owned a 66 Bassman up until last year and I played it as my bass amp. I've loved my Supersonic and play it all the time. it is by far the loudest 60 watts you'll ever hear... Anywho... back to the topic. Any opinions on whether or not this is a good, great or bad trade. My Supersonic is a 9.5 out of 10 condition 10 out 10 sound. The Fender Bassman is I would say a 7 or 8.

The Supersonic has a Bassman Channel but having owned a 66 - it isn't a true "Bassman".. I'd be giving up the 2 gain channels that are killer but limited in a lot of ways and the Reverbe that is brilliant... The Clean Channel Vibrolux is killer as well - perfect for playing Yellow Ledbetter... however you spell that... you know the Pearl Jam Jimi Hendrix song.

Let me know what you think.
Shandiesel
Peasant

Re: Fender Bassman 10 (70Watt) vs. Supersonic 112 combo

Postby stratele52 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:04 am

Did you play with this Bassman ?

Fender Bassman 4 X 10
http://ampwares.com/amplifiers/fender-s ... assman-10/
stratele52
Knight

Postby Dean Jr. on Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:50 pm

Be advised that the BAssman 10 is NOT the same circuit as the BF Bassman you had. The AB165 Bassman through the BAssman 50 amps were very much the same amps....3 gain stages in both the Normal and the Bass channel. Fwiw, the Normal channel in the AB165 through the Bassman 50 amps have a similar basic topography in comparison to the Trainwreck Express built by Ken Fischer. They are hot guitar amps. the Bassman 10 is a different circuit. There are only 2 gain stages in each channel. The Bassman 10 is a relatively clean amp whereas the AB165 type of circuit will generate some heat that in reality no other BF or SF Fender can develop...without help.
Since you are a fan of the SuperSonic and IF the amp will be used for guitar, I would suggest that the BAssman 10 is not the amp for you. IF you want a low powered Bass amp or a clean gutiar amp platform for pedals, maybe the BAssman 10 would work for you.
That SuperSonic has a BF channel and a 5F6A type of channel....much more useful for guitar, imho.....and I say that knowing full well that I personally do not care for the Super Sonic amps.
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby Shandiesel on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:58 pm

Thanks for the tips.
No I haven't played it yet. When I decide to make the deal I'll go try ot out.
I'm still on thr fence. I love the bassman channel on the supersonic and the clean vibrolux super clean clean.
The gain channels aren't all that.. but you can dial in lots of different sounds.
I use a Boss distortion and I have the digitech jimi hendrix experience peal for other awesome tones.
Shandiesel
Peasant

Return to Fender