Crackly Bassman

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Crackly Bassman

Postby Rolomoto on Thu May 26, 2016 7:07 pm

1956 Bassman (all original except for the handle) that makes a crackly noise when I put my hands on the strings or take my hands off a chord. Switching the ground switch to the left reduces the sound somewhat. Any idea what might be causing this? You can hear it here:
https://youtu.be/q8tuv7hqOmk
Thanks!
Rolomoto
Peasant

Re: Crackly Bassman

Postby jaywalker on Fri May 27, 2016 2:39 pm

Does your amp have a two prong power cord or a grounded three prong? Has this amp been serviced in recent history?
I have so much crackly coming out of my laptop headphone jack that I couldn't hear your crackly... :(
jaywalker
Baron

Postby slider313 on Fri May 27, 2016 7:10 pm

All original except for the handle? :shock: It's long overdue for a general service; a three prong power cord, electrolytic cap replacement, etc.
slider313
Squire

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Fri May 27, 2016 10:39 pm

What they said. :cheers:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby Unit_1 on Sat May 28, 2016 6:24 pm

WAY over due for servicing. If I were you I wouldn't use it till it's had a good look over.

BE SURE TO INSIST THEY NOT TOUCH THE COUPLING CAPS without permission. Some techs strip the caps out and replace them with the cheapest ones they can find and then they sell your caps on eBay for $20 to $50 each. :crybaby:

Tell them UP FRONT you want ALL THE PARTS REMOVED so they won't be tempted to strip and sell your stuff. BE SURE TO GET THIS IN WRITING AND BOTH OF YOU SIGN IT so they know you can sue them if they go ahead and do it anyway. If they won't sign, go somewhere else!!!!!

:thumbsup:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby stratele52 on Sat May 28, 2016 8:16 pm

Unit_1 wrote:WAY over due for servicing. If I were you I wouldn't use it till it's had a good look over.

BE SURE TO INSIST THEY NOT TOUCH THE COUPLING CAPS without permission. Some techs strip the caps out and replace them with the cheapest ones they can find and then they sell your caps on eBay for $20 to $50 each. :crybaby:

Tell them UP FRONT you want ALL THE PARTS REMOVED so they won't be tempted to strip and sell your stuff. BE SURE TO GET THIS IN WRITING AND BOTH OF YOU SIGN IT so they know you can sue them if they go ahead and do it anyway. If they won't sign, go somewhere else!!!!!

:thumbsup:

+1000
stratele52
Knight

Return to Fender