FEIC Vibrolux Reverb coming back to life.

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Re: FEIC Vibrolux Reverb coming back to life.

Postby Bigsbyguy on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:58 pm

Lastly, Here's where there should be a tube chart.
Bigsbyguy
Court Jester

Postby Bigsbyguy on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:23 pm

So it looks like Photobucket was it. I had forgotten I had an account there. I was trying Dropbox. I'm no computer whiz. That's the amp. The chassis is at Skip Simmons Amp Repair. I've been very lucky to have 2 great techs, Skip and Steve Tillyer from BC Canada. Steve could nail the tone I wanted every time! If we're lucky when he retires he'll open a shop. And Skip has been my tech for a ton of Killer amps from a 54 Standel 25L15 to a 52 Alamo Amp-6a and more than 1 30's Epiphones!
I gave the baffle a shot of 409, a scrub and rinse. Let it dry in the sun and that's it. I gave the tolex a spray of 409 and a scrub too. By the time I got done scrubbing the grille the foam it was kicking up was the consistency of peanut butter! I gave the Oxfords a wipe with a rag and plain water. Skip recommended TR-3 for the faceplate.
Any opinions on where the tube chart should have been? Sure doesn't look like there ever was one?
Lastly here's a shot of Arden, the original owner, in the 70's. He had a Polka/ C&W band in MN. I got the amp from his daughter and son-in-law.
Bigsbyguy
Court Jester

Postby OldSchoolDave on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:46 pm

That cleaned up nicely :thumbsup: .

Great to have the pic of the amp in action with its original owner, too.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Bigsbyguy on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:52 pm

Dave, Note the PBR! I'm sure I cleaned some of that off! :cheers: I was offered the Melody Maker too. I was blown away by what they sell for now!
Bigsbyguy
Court Jester

Postby Bigsbyguy on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:52 pm

Anyone ever try the Super Reverb Mod on one of these?
Last edited by Bigsbyguy on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigsbyguy
Court Jester

Postby OldSchoolDave on Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:43 pm

Bigsbyguy wrote:Note the PBR!

Ah, yes, the breakfast of champions :twisted: . I preferred the tall boys, though, after Allman Bros Live at the Fillmore was released.

Bigsbyguy wrote:I was offered the Melody Maker too. I was blown away by what they sell for now!

There was a pretty clean one advertised in my neighborhood recently at a fairly reasonable price. I have the Epi version (early 60's) in tobacco sunburst that I scored years ago when I worked in a music store. Fun instrument to play - and light as a feather!

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Bigsbyguy on Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:48 am

I read Art Tatum liked his in a quart bottle!
Gasstationman, How'd it turn out? Think it was worth doing?
Bigsbyguy
Court Jester

Postby Gasstationman on Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:20 pm

A big cleanup is always a good investment in time. I've done it with some amps now and it is a big improvement on everything. Better fidelity, less noise and hum. Your amp looks so much better and smells better. :)
Here is a link to an old tremolux: http://s962.photobucket.com/user/Gasstationman/library/1963%20Tremolux?sort=9&page=1
Good luck.
Anders Gson
Gasstationman
Certified

Postby Bigsbyguy on Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:31 pm

Here's shots of the Amp back together. Thanks for all the support.
We decided to change the filter caps and leave the rest of the amp. I was figuring I'd sell it so I left it as stock as possible. The reverb pan was shot. I swapped 1 knob, and the handle and replaced the rubber part of the glides.
I've got to recone the Oxfords too. They started out OK but ended up not.
I A/B it with my '58 Super and I prefer that sound. But it sold so fast I didn't have time to change my mind. That's probably a good thing though!
I'm sure I'll wish I had kept it at some point. Cest La Vie.
I brought an amp out from the storage room of an auto body shop and put it back to work. Got a nice 50's Alamo lap and amp set and made some new friends too. Plus it paid the service bill for a '56 Magnatone Triplex I rescued a year ago.

Bigsbyguy
Court Jester

Postby Bigsbyguy on Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:43 pm

BTW, has anyone tried the Super Reverb mod on one of these?
Bigsbyguy
Court Jester

Postby spidey66 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:06 pm

Great Job! Amp looks beautiful. Love these, had 2 myself. I had to laugh at the shots where we can see your work bench: Stew Mac back saw? Check! pearl cutting saw? Check! digital caliper in plastic case on bench? Check! brown Masonite pegboard? Check! I'd swear it was my bench!! :lol: I think we're all "cut from the same cloth" as my mother would say.
spidey66
Certified

Previous

Return to Fender