6G6B Bassman transformer question

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

6G6B Bassman transformer question

Postby boola on Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:49 am

Hi,

I am interested in this Bassman and would like some input on the originality of the transformers please.

The seller says he thinks the choke is original but I'm not so sure. It is apparently an AMROH brand.......

The output transformer has the correct model number 125A13A but those blue wires look suspicious to me, far too modern looking to be original.

Anybody have and ideas?

Thanks

boola
Certified

Re: 6G6B Bassman transformer question

Postby Dean Jr. on Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:08 pm

Those pics don't reveal much of anything, boola. Do you have more pics?
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby boola on Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:23 pm

Strange, you can actually scroll those photos to the right in IE but not Firefox....

Anyway, here is the right hand side of that photo showing the wires coming in from the OT.

boola
Certified

Postby Dean Jr. on Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:44 pm

Neither the primary or the secondary wires are proper for an original 125A13A...or any other vintage Fender....OT.
The primary wires would be Blue and Brown with a red center tap. This one's primary wires are white with red, green and blue stripes. The secondary would be green and black, ime...not blue.
That choke doesn't look like anything I have seen on an old Fender, either. Kind of a 'player's priced/valued amp at this point....and one even starts wondering what is really going on.
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby stratele52 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:46 pm

I can't scroll your photo

I never see those kind of white red and white green wires on Fender amp on Power transformer
White 6L6 socket is not original.

Choke is not original

About Output xfr and Power xfr these are not the colors Bassam 6G6B layout show;

http://el34world.com/charts/Schematics/ ... N_6G6B.pdf
stratele52
Knight

Postby boola on Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:44 pm

stratele52 wrote:I can't scroll your photo

I never see those kind of white red and white green wires on Fender amp on Power transformer
White 6L6 socket is not original.

Choke is not original

About Output xfr and Power xfr these are not the colors Bassam 6G6B layout show;

http://el34world.com/charts/Schematics/ ... N_6G6B.pdf

The red and green white stripe wires are coming from the output transformer. I wonder if it's a replacement OT but they fitted the Schumacher 125A13A's housing to it?

boola
Certified

Postby stratele52 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:52 pm

I see sometimes old housing fit over new transformer.
Or it was a rewind ?
stratele52
Knight

Postby Unit_1 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:55 am

boola wrote:Strange, you can actually scroll those photos to the right in IE but not Firefox....

Anyway, here is the right hand side of that photo showing the wires coming in from the OT.

In firefox you can use CTRL + to zoom in on the photo, CTRL - to zoom out, and CTRL 0 (zero) to reset. When I zoom way out I can see the entire picture.

You can also right mouse button click, and select view image from the drop down list to see the photo where you can scroll up or sideways.

:cheers:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Dean Jr. on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:51 pm

boola, quick assessment...that amp is not original. Only a tech with the amp in hand could tell a person what is what and whether or not the map is in proper playing condition. I would never buy an amp like that sight unseen...ymmv. Or...maybe if the seller gave a 7 day right of refusal and agreed to pay for the return shipping I would take a chance on it IF it were appropriately priced....meaning that it is worth a fraction of what an excellent condition all original example is worth.
What do they want for the amp? With or without cab? TI is a player amp even if it performs perfectly....it has lost its 'vintage amp' value.
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby boola on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:09 pm

Dean Jr. wrote:boola, quick assessment...that amp is not original. Only a tech with the amp in hand could tell a person what is what and whether or not the map is in proper playing condition. I would never buy an amp like that sight unseen...ymmv. Or...maybe if the seller gave a 7 day right of refusal and agreed to pay for the return shipping I would take a chance on it IF it were appropriately priced....meaning that it is worth a fraction of what an excellent condition all original example is worth.
What do they want for the amp? With or without cab? TI is a player amp even if it performs perfectly....it has lost its 'vintage amp' value.

They're asking 1300EUR. I would be tempted at that price if it was only the choke that had been replaced but that output transformer is fishy and makes me worry about what other issues might be hidden.

I'm quite desperate to find an export model 6G6 but I'm going to pass on this one, hopefully a goodun will come around soon.
boola
Certified

Postby Dean Jr. on Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:55 pm

That is steep over here for an unknown player grade head like that. I don't know your market. At any rate, IMHO, the amp would have to be assessed by a good tech before I would put any money on it. Patience is a virtue...and even it were not it is a wise modus operandi. :cheers:
Dean Jr.
Page

Return to Fender