Battered Bassman question

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Battered Bassman question

Postby boola on Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:12 pm

Does anybody recognize the cloth on this sorry looking thing? I'm pretty sure it's a '64 6G6B because of the blackface but wondering where the head box came from.

It doesn't look very well fitted so I wonder if the box came from another amp but I've never seen that cloth on a Fender before?

boola
Certified

Re: Battered Bassman question

Postby Naked Clarke on Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:29 pm

edited for errors. We would need more detail and pictures. Grille cloth is not standard Fender. List the serial number embossed into the rear of the chassis, and all transformer codes.
Last edited by Naked Clarke on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naked Clarke
Page

Postby boola on Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:39 pm

What makes you say it's not a 64 faceplate?
boola
Certified

Postby Naked Clarke on Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:34 pm

corrected
Last edited by Naked Clarke on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naked Clarke
Page

Postby Naked Clarke on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:15 pm

Boola, my apologies I was mistaken. I expected to see the sno-man style 8's on the faceplate. On the sno-man version the top "o" is smaller than the lower "O" but they are on the knobs and not the faceplate like subsequent models.
Naked Clarke
Page

Postby Factory Guy on Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:21 pm

Most Blackface Bassman amps in 1964 had knobs with numbers on them, there were no numbers for the volume or tone controls on the faceplate. The 63/64 EARLY Blackface Bassman amps still had a Presence control before the Blackface Bassman amps with the "Deep" and "Bright" switches for each channel.

"Presence" knob = numbers on faceplate & cupcake knobs.
"Deep" & "Bright" switches = knobs with numbers on them.

The previous generation Blonde/Brownface amplifiers had the numbers on the faceplate and "cupcake" style knobs, not chicken heads.

The panel cloth on your amp is some random cloth, nothing like that was used on any Blonde/Brown/Blackface amplifier Fender made. The lighter colored grill cloth from the "blonde" era had a horizontal oriented rectangular weave pattern. The Blackface grill cloth was more white/grey/black weave.

If you furnish more pictures of the panels, both front and back, and the trannys, and the inside guts it will be very easy to identify when your amp was made.
Sound Engineer/Guitar Strangler/Motorcyclist. Not neccessarily in that order... Depends on what day it is :)
Factory Guy
Peasant

Postby boola on Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:53 pm

Thanks for the replies. I know the knobs are wrong. The cloth is really the thing I wanted to run by you.

They did produce 6G6Bs with this panel in '64. I thought that being a blackface dated it to '64 but this site says they were introduced in mid '63:

https://reverb.com/uk/news/a-guide-to-b ... ender-amps

so it could be a '63.

I haven't got the amp yet, I bought on a bit of a gamble, the seller did send me photos of the transformers but I seem to have misplaced them! The transformers did look original, I wouldn't have gone for it otherwise. It's an export 6G6B, these things are really rare over here in the UK so you have to take what you can get. Hopefully I'll find an original amp inside, fingers crossed.

Here's a pic of the back of the amp, it looks like there might be a tube chart in there which might shed some light on the cab :)

boola
Certified

Postby Factory Guy on Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:19 pm

Yes the '63 & early '64 Blackface Bassman amps with a Presence knob used the faceplate with numbers printed on it, but the panel cloth is not original Fender. Wrong weave and colors.
Sound Engineer/Guitar Strangler/Motorcyclist. Not neccessarily in that order... Depends on what day it is :)
Factory Guy
Peasant

Postby OldSchoolDave on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:17 am

That would have orginally been a "tuxedo" amp, right? White knobs on the black faceplate?

It's got some stories to tell, for sure. Unless there's an original tube chart inside, I'm betting that's not the original case. Can you post pics of the circuitry (i.e. the important stuff)?

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby boola on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:07 am

It depends on when it was made. Mid '63 and it would've been a blonde, mid '64 it would be a tuxedo, anywhere in between and it'll be an educated guess!

Once I have it I will post pics of everything and we can try to date it.
boola
Certified

Postby Gasstationman on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:03 pm

Check for rubberstamps inside the chassi and back at the bottom of the cab.
Anders Gson
Gasstationman
Certified

Return to Fender