Frankein-Fender Twin "Reverb" Custom Shop amp???

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Frankein-Fender Twin "Reverb" Custom Shop amp???

Postby Nomad on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:03 pm

I live in southern Alabama, and I can not find anyone around here qualified to answer a question about a Fender amp I own. I thought I would try this Forum.

I TRIED TO ATTACH PHOTOS, BUT THIS SITE TELLS ME THE FILES ARE TOO LARGE TO ATTACH. THIS IS MY FIRST POST, SO IF ANYONE CAN TELL ME HOW TO LINK PHOTOS, I WILL TRY, OR I CAN SEND THEM TO YOU DIRECTLY.

The guy who sold this amp to me told me the following... which may or may not be accurate.

The amp was built (according to him) in the first year that Fender opened it's Custom Amp Shop, which he said was 1991. According to him, the early custom shop gathered together all the surplus amp parts from previous years that were sitting around Fenders warehouses and constructed "Frankein-Fender" amps of which this is one. It looks like a 1962 Fender Twin done in Blond Tolex and Oxblood Grill Cloth... but there was no Reverb on these models in 1962, and this one has Reverb. There is no tube chart, inspection sticker, or label of any kind anywhere on the amp that I can find. The numbers on the transformer date to 1962 as far as I can tell. The chassis has the number A 23373 stamped into the metal, which should mean 1970 I think. It also has 7/91 hand written in red in the same spot for what that is worth, and also the number 22019 stamped in red ink, also in the same spot. Inside the chassis there is another hand written "note" which appears to be...
t 3
3 t

or...
+ 3
3 +

If you have any insight as to whether the information the seller told me is accurate it would be appreciated... however...

THE MAIN THING I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT IS WHAT TUBES GO WHERE IN THE THING.

It did not have tubes or speakers in it when I bought it.

The 1962 Twin specified 6L6GC, 6L6GC, 6L6GC, 6L6GC, 7025, 7025, 12AX7, 12AX7, 7025, 7025.

Twin Reverbs from 64/65 on specify 6L6GC, 6L6GC, 6L6GC, 6L6GC, 12AT7, 12AX7, 7025, 12AT7, 7025, 7025.

Also, the jobs done by the 6 pre-amp tubes and their placement in order appear to be different between the two amps from what I have read.

CAN ANYONE TELL FROM LOOKING AT THE INTERNAL WIRING WHAT TUBES GO WHERE IN THIS AMP? I ASSUME THAT, WITH REVERB, AT LEAST ONE 12AT7 (IF NOT 2) WOULD BE RECOMMENDED, BUT I DO NOT KNOW WHICH SLOT DOES WHAT.

The amp currently has a stock set of 65 Twin Reverb replacement tubes installed in the order specified in the Twin Reverb tube chart. It works and sounds good overall, however the Reverb sounds "hollow" and the vibrato is weak. I am wondering if this could be because the 12AT7's are in the incorrect spot. (Also, to reduce overall volume (insanely loud amp) I am using only 2 of the 4 power tubes, a single speaker, and the V1 tube is pulled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again, very sorry I could not attach photos. There must be a way. I will happily send photos of the amp, inside and out, to an e mail address.
Nomad
Peasant

Re: Frankein-Fender Twin "Reverb" Custom Shop amp???

Postby wilson32 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:08 pm

You'll have to figure out how to post some pics before anyone can tell you what you have.

The custom shop story sounds like a bit of a tall tale - I've never heard of any such amps out there. My guess
is that you have a 70 twin reverb that someone worked on/customized in 91. Pics will tell.
wilson32
Certified

Postby Unit_1 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:18 pm

The attach picture function works poorly and makes the pictures too small to be seen when it does work.

Best to use http://www.PHOTOBUCKET.com and post the pictures there. Then you can use the [ IMG ] tabs to post the picture like this:

The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby stratele52 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:59 pm

Yes photos are a must !
stratele52
Knight

Return to Fender