1962 fender bandmaster

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Re: 1962 fender bandmaster

Postby Dean Jr. on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:51 pm

Blaine, look inside the body for some ink-stamped numbers preceeded by one letter. Is the letter a G...followed by 4 digits then a space and 2 more digits? There was an ES125D...'D' for double pickup....issued in 1957. This was the only year for
this model.
The picture of the headstock is not very 'revealing'. IS the logo a silk-screened white logo?
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby blainenbecky on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:33 pm

Dean Jr. wrote:Blaine, look inside the body for some ink-stamped numbers preceeded by one letter. Is the letter a G...followed by 4 digits then a space and 2 more digits? There was an ES125D...'D' for double pickup....issued in 1957. This was the only year for
this model.
The picture of the headstock is not very 'revealing'. IS the logo a silk-screened white logo?

Hmmmm
the guitar is at our singers house but I will try to get over there and take another look at it and look for the numbers later in the week.
he thought it was a 1948 but I am sure he is going by what someone else told him. I have been playing in a band with these guys for 15 years or so and I just can't believe the cool stuff these guys have collected over the years,I told him jokingly today that between them they have a dang museum in interments .I did play that guitar today ,,,,,I did not think to much of the way it played but I did like the way is sounded, much like a box guitar and did not need an amp to hear it,
thanks for the info Dean
here is a vid of that model playing ,now this one sounds great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d70TGXdFEmc
blainenbecky
Court Jester

Postby Dean Jr. on Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:25 pm

Blaine, when you look at the guitar, take note of the thickness of the headstock. In the middle of 1950, Gibson went from a tapered headstock,Which was thicker near the nut than at the end of the headstock, to a headstock that had a uniform thickness. That 'modern' logo was adopted in 1947. I am thinking that you will find a headstock with a uniform thickness and there will be a factory work order number inside the body with a letter prefix.
In 1951, Gibson adopted a factory work order number system that had a Letter prefix...starting with 'A' in 1951. The lower line Gibsons had factory work order numbers stamped in them instead of having serial numbers. IN the 1930's, these guitar had a letter prefix, but that system was dropped in 1941 for a system of numbers only. they went back to the letter prefix in 1951 and used that through 1960 or so when all instruments began to get serial numbers stamped in the back of the headstock.
IF the headstock is of uniform thickness, if the factory order number has faded away, and if the electronics are original, there is only one choice....the guitar was made in 1957. The placement of the neck pickup makes me think that this is what you will find. The bridge is not original. Someone has installed an ABR-1. That bridge might be worth a fair amount of money to a vintage Les Paul owner. Is there a retaining wire holding the saddle screws in?
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby blainenbecky on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:27 pm

man I looked and looked for numbers in that guitar but I could not find any .
it was mighty dusty in there ,lol
but I did manage to see one of them bumble bee Caps in there that everybody likes so much.
I could not believe how good that thing sounded when we plugged her up to an amp
here is a very short vid of it playing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vICLkY7 ... e=youtu.be

I fixed the fender keyboard amp and brought it back to him today .
I also fixed the little peavey decade amp.
now I will start on the old alamo he gave me .thinking if I can get t going I may just make nice box for it .
saw one on youtube that sounded pretty cool.
my pod pulled another old amp out of his stash
nothing fancy but cool all the same ,its an old Kalamazoo

this is the inside of the fender keyboard amp.not much to them these days .
the malfunction was some kind growth or corrosion on the speaker leads .it looked like
the junk that grows on battery cables

hear is the corroded a leads

the little peavy decade amp was as black as spades for some reason,maybe it was in a house fire
as I did not see anything burnt inside .I lifted the big caps and they were still good ,put the thing back together
and now it lays like a champ. surprisingly it sounds pretty dang good for a little guy
Last edited by blainenbecky on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blainenbecky
Court Jester

Postby Dean Jr. on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:53 pm

Blaine, if the pickup cutout for the bridge pickup is original, then that guitar was built in 1957. Did you see some dates on the pots?
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby blainenbecky on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:10 pm

Dean Jr. wrote:Blaine, if the pickup cutout for the bridge pickup is original, then that guitar was built in 1957. Did you see some dates on the pots?

didn't even think about dates on the pots Dean.the next time I go over there I will bring my little dental mirror and see if I can see it then.
the action is a little high for me on the old girl but man I could get used to that guitar.you really feel like you are playing something when
you play one of these things.I didn't think much of it before I plugged it into an amp.the ZZ top tunes really sounded cool on this thing .
I could have played it for hours if I had the time .I guess the days of finding this thing in an Pawnshop for 200 bucks are long gone .
a lot of cool History in an old girl like that
blainenbecky
Court Jester

Postby Dean Jr. on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:30 pm

That 1957 ES-125D is $2100-2800 in the book for excellent and original condition. Asking prices will be more...IF you can find one of them. I have never seen an ES125 thick body with 2 x P-90's. I am almost positive that that guitar is a '57 because of the placement of the neck pickup. The single pickup 125's have the pickup just a little farther from the neck than we see on this guitar.
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby spoond on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:45 am

There was a NICE one on eBay last summer with the original California Girl tan case and a pair of P 90s that went for $2500.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1957-Gibs ... 1898453384
spoond
Knight

Previous

Return to Fender